All Topics / Finance / Derivex??

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Yaaaawwwwnnnnnn…… don’t tell me we are debating this again……..

Guys, how about this ?? We stop thinking about Derivex and actually concentrate on investing…… ?? now isn’t that a strange concept…….

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman
    Yaaaawwwwnnnnnn…… don’t tell me we are debating this again..

Given the thread title is Derivex, then why did you view/comment on it if this is such a bore?

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

We are traveling over old ground. How about we leave it there. Thanks.

Cheers

Stu

Profile photo of Nat RNat R
    @nat-r

9th of March today…any updates or news???

Does anybody have the full story from this article??

http://theherald.com.au/articles/2005/02/23/1109046979364.html

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

Nat R… full story below…

Some loans are just pie in the sky
    Author: Noel Whittaker
    Date: 24/02/2005
    Words: 700
    Source: NCH Publication: Newcastle Herald
    Section: Business
    Page: 53

NOTHING gets the adrenaline going more than the thought of money being given away, and judging by the talk in the internet chat rooms, the offer of interest-free loans from a company called Derivex has really touched a chord.
    And why wouldn’t it after all, if you could borrow $500,000 or so, free of interest, and deposit it in one of those online savings accounts offering a safe 5.25 per cent you could give yourself an easy income of $26,250 a year.
    We all know there is no such thing as a free lunch, so how does it work and where’s the catch?
    Unfortunately, I am, along with several financial analysts and TV journalists, still trying to find out. I’ve spent hours reading the material on their website, and have spoken, or should I say listened, to Derivex’s CEO, Trevor Cohen, for more than half an hour on the phone, but am still none the wiser.
    Their old website made sense. It appeared they were using Islamic principles to make loans because it claimed they were able to offer zero rates of interest in exchange for a fixed claim over future income and capital.
    The figures quoted were 25 per cent of net residual capital value and 75 per cent of net residual income value.
    There is nothing particularly new in this. The Koran forbids the charging of interest and there are many highly reputable Islam-based organisations that make interest-free loans on the condition that the borrower and the lender both share in any profits or losses arising out of the deal.
    When I asked Cohen to elaborate on this participation in the profits he claimed that this particular website was two years out of date, and that the new loans worked on different principles entirely.
    Now the loans are supposed to work like this. They lend, say, $500,000 interest-free, and the borrower pays this back over 20 years in equal instalments at 5 per cent of the amount borrowed.
    This creates a guaranteed 20-year cash flow to Derivex which they reckon they can use to borrow up to $1.6 million on various money markets.
    They maintain they can invest this money to return at least 9 per cent per annum, which would be sufficient for them to show a hefty profit on the transaction.
    Of course, this raises some interesting questions.
    Who will lend $1.6 million against a future cash flow of only $500,000?
    What is their skill in investing money to achieve a consistent 9 per cent per annum, and if they are so good, why offer loans interest-free? They could make much more profit if they charged even 4 per cent.
    Derivex were going to launch their product late last year but put it on hold after ASIC asked for more information.
    ASIC is particularly interested in interest-free loans because last year its Pie in the Sky winners were two so-called interest-free loan schemes that persuaded more than 400 Queensland investors into investing $4.6 million.
    The hapless investors were told that if they bought a car through a car buyers’ club, and borrowed a little extra from their financier and invested it offshore, the high returns would repay their car loans.
    You can guess what happened. The offshore investments were duds.
    ASIC executive director of consumer protection Greg Tanzer said: “It’s high time that people realise that loans without interest are just pie in the sky.”
    At date of writing the market was still waiting for Derivex to prove they can do what they claim. Their launch date continues to be delayed and requests from reporters for permission to do a story are refused.
    I have long believed you should never go into a deal you don’t understand and remain as sceptical as ever.
    Judge for yourself. Just go to http://www.derivex.com.au/company/ and click on How It Works. Just allow plenty of time you’ll need it.
    Noel Whittaker is joint managing director of Whittaker Macnaught Pty Ltd, AFSL Number 246519. Email [email protected]. This advice is general in nature and readers should take their own expert advice before making financial decisions.

SURPRISE…SURPRISE

Profile photo of St Johns AmbienceSt Johns Ambience
    @st-johns-ambience

Hey Oakley ,
    I’ve been away for a while myself …..however , early sat morning this Forum’s Admin pulled my Derivex post ( fortunately witnessed by Monopoly ) in which I quoted a concern from one of the Mortgage Brokers I deal with ….”have read today in an industry publication that the sale of Int Free Home Loans has been suspended pending an enquiry by independent experts …”
    That was 10th Feb .
    I was simply posing the question , notwithstanding certain Forumites are pushing these products ….hmmmm .
    I’d like to know more about Derivex ESPECIALLY NOW !
    Warmest egards,
    Michael

MLV

Profile photo of Nat RNat R
    @nat-r

What is there to know??..nothing has happened in 3 mths …their website has most of the info stripped off it and there has not been one single sane explanation as to how the product works….keep in mind it doesn’t work.

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

Yes, no more news to date. We are still waiting for the ASIC announcement.

Cheers

Stu

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

There wont be an ASIC announcement – that is not how ASIC works.

I suggest you call ASIC or Derivex for an answer to your questions.

In the meantime without anything new being discussed I am locking this topic.

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.