All Topics / General Property / how do you do it!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of landt64landt64
    Participant
    @landt64

Hi Jo, (without an ‘e’)
    I read your posts all the time, and I think it’s great that you are so willing to share information. I’m interested in how you got started. I have a full-time job, my husband has a part-time job (evenings) and we have 2 small children. Did you just go for it from the start, or did you wait until you had a few properties under your belt before you became an investor full-time?
    Thanks
    Landt.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hey Landt,

Thanks for the kind words. I don’t mind sharing any information FWIW (for what it’s worth) but I have to add that I learn equally as much from what people have to say, and by asking questions, I get to find out what different perspectives people have; so you see it’s a mutual thing (give and take).[biggrin]

I started investing when I was (just 2 weeks shy) of my 18th birthday. Real estate was something that my parents bottle fed us kids so I guess we didn’t really have much choice, well we did, but lucky for me I inherited their passion for “bricks and mortar.” I remember Saturday mornings when most kids were watching the cartoons I was being carted off to OFIs (open for inspections) and I learnt to recognise things like rising damp and white ant infestations from the tender age of 8!!![blush2]

I don’t consider myself a full time investor, although I do buy and sell periodically. Most of my life was spent studying, working (sometimes more than one job) working full time up until 2002 at which point I sold off my part of a successful practice and retired to a quieter lifestyle and living off a substantial passive income.

I don’t buy for the sake of cashflow, I am a CG chaser; if a property/business is not going to blossom financially I won’t touch it. I don’t believe in quick fixes; I perserve when people tell me I’m insane for holding on, and I follow my instinct (so far, so good). People are so obsessessed with making money, that they forget the fundamental reasons they are trying to make it; to be happy. The best strategies in the world won’t guarantee wealth or success; common sense and hard work will work wonders; it’s passion and commitment that will!!!

Can the average Joe (with or without the “e”) [grin] with a young family, a mortgage, a cat, a dog and a budgie do it??? Absolutely, if you are driven enough; anything is possible. Although there have been many variables that have influenced my wealth creation, I truly believe that most crucial element is DETERMINATION; never give up, don’t be afraid to make mistakes and if you do make them (and you will at times) learn from them and move on.

I believe that everyone (especially in this and SS forums) has it in them to succeed in securing financial independence (if they haven’t already) and for many, they are more than capable of superseding any modest wealth I may have achieved.

Will you be one of them??? I hope so!!! [biggrin]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of Go Girl GoGo Girl Go
    @go-girl-go

landt64,

Thank you so much for asking that question? I have to admit I read Jo’s posts with much interest and had wondered the same thing!!

Monopoly (Jo..without an ‘e’),

Thank you so much for your reply. You are an inspiration and I gain so much from reading your numerous posts and your opinions and strategies on Property Investing.

Janette

@monopoly

[blush2] Awww shucks!!! [blush2]
    Thank you so much, that’s really sweet of you both.[biggrin]

I have to confess, after almost a year of being on property investment boards such as this and Somersoft, I am no less astounded by the means/lengths people will go to to try and make/save a dollar. I am convinced more than ever that albeit simplistic in nature, the money-making lessons drummed into me as a child have/will long continue to work regardless of anything written in a book or lectured at a seminar. (Please note: I am not advocating not reading books or attending seminars).

Don’t ever hesitate to ask questions of me, or anyone for that matter, as in doing so you not only have your questions answered but those of others as well, hence the learning experience is shared amongst many often including the person answering same. [thumbsupanim]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of padmaa23108padmaa23108
    @padmaa23108

I join with the other two expressed opinions about you Jo(Monopoly). I admire your success and indeed you are an inspiration. I like your tongue in cheek comments most of the time…well most of the time anyway….
    Pl.continue to pass on the inspiration.
    I must say I have couple more people that I admire – Derek in particular, his comments and answers are always sensible and informative and educational.
    Thank you.
    Padma

@monopoly

Hi Padma,

Thanks you’re a sweetie, but you already knew that!!! [:)] BTW….YOU HAVE MAIL….I sent you a messge re our discussion in a previous PM, my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.[blush2]

I have to agree Derek is (as I always call him) “the voice of reason” painfully so at times!![tongue]

All in all, there are some pretty amazing people both in here and Somersoft, from whom we can all learn a great deal….heck I’m learning everyday (one day I will have it down pat) [winking]

Cheers,

Jo

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.