All Topics / Overseas Deals / Unit investments in NZ

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of mhjmhj
    @mhj

Question… Do buying blocks of units or Flats in NZ attract Stamp duty because they are commercial investments

Question….If it is a Yes, is their another way around this with changing the wording, or agreeing to purchase individually units assuming they are strated.

Thanks-Marc
    PS I hope I don’t sound like a crimal, just a smart buyer[biggrin]

Marc Hamilton-Jessop

Profile photo of scorpioscorpio
    @scorpio

The short answer in my experience is no. I have bought blocks of units – some self titled , others all on one title. Stamp Duty has never been an issue on NZ residential loans, where funds are raised in NZ.

Most banks or lenders will regard them as a residential investment loan depending on whether the units are self titled. Some banks may regard the investment as a commercial loan if they are on a single title, and may require a higher deposit.

Hope this helps.

Scorpio.

Profile photo of GamerzGamerz
    @gamerz

Unless the laws have changed there is no such thing as stamp duty in New Zealand.

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Hi Gamerz,
    technically there is stamp duty in NZ (at least it is provided for under their legislation or whatever). It is simply that the government has set it at 0%!!! so its the best stamp duty you will ever pay!!!
    Cheers
    CD

CastleDreamer
    NZ Investor and Property Spotter

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.