All Topics / Help Needed! / Have plently of cash, how to get started?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of steve2steve2
    @steve2

I’ve been working hard for the last 20 years and have managed to save $800,000 which I have in cash deposit.

Im sick of my job and have left and would like to concentrate full time on property investment/development which I have no experience of yet.

I am open to investing in any markets eg. Eastern Europe, New Zealand, as well as Australia.

What is the best strategy for me to start building an PI portfolio?

What are the best books to read for someone in my situation?

Can you recommend any PI advisors for me?

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of aptamaptam
    Participant
    @aptam

Hi Steve,

I suppose the first thing is to congratulate you on your savings. Well done on being so diligent.

The next thing is that $800k in cash sitting idle is never good.

How old are you ? When are you looking to retire? How is your super? Do you have any other assets, have you ever bought property ?

If you have never bought property, maybe the best thing to do is to start small and gradually expand your circle of competence.

Also, think about joint venture arrangements and being the “money” partner. This may also be a good way of leveraging someone else’s experience.

Cheers,
    Andrew.[cap]

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Hi Steve2,
    Here’s the book review thread that might interest you…
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/6845.html

The teacher arrives when the student is ready[biggrin]
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi,

Well done on your savings. I don’t think I will give any advice about what to do with the whole sum. I have a question though. Where in Eastern Europe have you been thinking about.
    I saw a show on the TV last night about Germany after the reunification. It would be very interesting to have access to these sorts of markets. I wonder if anyone else has experience investing in these areas?

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Do some thorough research before you do anything. Have a read of Peter Spann’s book(s). The recent one on property is probably the best available. Do develop a plan and follow it (ie don’t get side tracked).

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Steve,

With all due respect I wonder if property investment is the right thing for you.

The reason I say this is that your ‘saving effort’ as commendable as it is indicates (to me) that you have a low risk tolerance. And while I believe well researched property is relatively low risk there is still a risk.

And to consider property investment overseas can add to the risk level. I would certainly advise start closer to home and then if it all fits together and your emotions are coping start looking further afield.

If ‘property’ is still it then you would be well advised to grab a few of the books mentioned in the following thread

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/6845.html

in order to expand your horizons and knowledge base – this will also fine tune your BS detector.

Note I am assuming as a ‘saver’ that you have probably been ‘head down tail up’ saving like hell.

Factors such as desired income levels, your age, family situation, risk tolerance and your personal investment beliefs all come into play.

Critical to your journey is choosing how you want to invest in property – are you going to pursue growth or income or a combination thereof? In some respects this will then determine which properties will suit you as investments.

Hope this helps some.

Derek
    [email protected]
    0409 882 958
    Property investment advice and researched property in quality locations available.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly
    Originally posted by steve2:

I’ve been working hard for the last 20 years and have managed to save $800,000 which I have in cash deposit.

Im sick of my job and have left and would like to concentrate full time on property investment/development which I have no experience of yet.

WOW….this is even better than the 80/20 percent theory that normally applies to such public domains. How old were you when you started your job Steve, according to your profile it must have been 15. Not bad, 40K per year!!! [biggrin] What sort of work were you in??? [blink]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.