All Topics / Value Adding / relocatable houses

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of BillyTBillyT
    Participant
    @billyt

hi everyone

I am interested in buying relocatable houses and putting them on empty blocks, or large blocks with house already that i can sub-divide and put relocatable house on other half of block.. I would then like to renovate and sell.
    Does anybody have any good or bad stories/ideas about this kind of project.
    looking forward to all your responses.

Thanks

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi,

I remember this issue was covered in API magazine a while back. I cant find my copy ATM but maybe someone else can help you out with the issue number.
    The story was about a guy who had been doing it in the hunter valley. Had a break down of costs etc.
    Good luck.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of DevinDevin
    @devin

Hi BillyT

At the moment I’m doing just that. I have bought a house on a corner block of land with which I’m moving a house onto the block. The house to move was easy to find I had a choice of 2 and just have to pay all the moving cost and i get it for free.
    The first things to do is to check on the local councils rules and regulations on sub-division and make sure that the land you are looking at will fit the rules and that you can move the house there.

I found that corner blocks are the best to work with, but large blocks with a house at the front and big back yards will work as well.

There are lots of costs involved in doing this so make sure you do your home work.

A lot of work is involved but if done correctly you sould come out on top.

good luck
    Devin

Profile photo of BillyTBillyT
    Participant
    @billyt

From looking on the internet i have seen a lot of relocatable houses for sale, e.g resonable 3 rm house, 35k for cost of house, removal and stumping, does this seem resonable?
    What should the cost roughly be for removal and restumping alone?

thanks

Participant
    @billyt

The guy who was selling the houses was the same guy who does the transportation, he has about 20 houses 4 sale, do you think it is more expensive going through people like this?
    Perhaps it would be cheaper to find the house seperatley and then call in the trasportation guys? (what do you think)

And good luck with your project.

Profile photo of JulieEllenJulieEllen
    Participant
    @julieellen

The story of a sub-divide/relatable was in API Nov 2004, p. 48.
    I have been looking at doing this north of Melb.
    I am finding that the companies who move houses often supply them as well, which sinplifies things, but probably does cost more. It is like buying anything secondhand-availabiity is unpredictable. So are many of the costs.
    The story in API showed this-Andrew changed his mind about the house he bought for example.
    JulieS[biggrin]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Billy

Dont forget to check with your local Council of there requirements and also their costs for the application etc.

Finance also is a novel one but can usually be got around.

Some of the big boys like Drake etc have good reputations. Dont try and co-ordinate the work yourself let them do the lot. You can get the nail bag on when it comes to doing up the property at the other end and save a few pennies.

Cheers Richard
    richard at castlewhite.com.au
    Email me for details of our Qld wrap service.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @julieellen

Dear Billy T
    I have encountered about half a dozen movers around Melb wbo quote ‘about 55-60k including a new colourbond roof’. You need to be really careful about exactly what they do-esp the roof. Some don’t do the gutters or drainpipes, for example. They seem to rejoin the outside but not the inside, don’t put on trim around the stumps or fill in the eaves. And so on.Others will replace a roof if it is OK condition. So it gets quite complex.
    JulieS[biggrin]

Participant
    @billyt

thanks for all the resposes, (much appreciated).

In regard to the roof is this normally a problem area? If yes, is it because they take the roof off for transportation?

where you state that the company included a new roof with the purchase was this because the old roof was not worth keeping or because it was going to be damaged during transportation?

Thanks Billy T.

Participant
    @julieellen

Dear Billy T,
    The old roof might be too old to re-use, or tile.
    Or, I’m guessing that a particular mover might prefer to provide new roof for their own purposes either profit margin or because they guarantee the work and new material is less trouble prone. My interpretation there.
    But the roof does come off for transport.
    There was an earlier story in API which had some info about the mechanics of the process-movers will tell you what they do. I will try to find that old API too.
    look at http://www.khr.com.au they are a Victorian mover, but their website is as informative as any.
    It is an odd topic to websearch, because furniture removalists all come up! Most of them don’t have a web presence.
    If it was you who had the 35k quote for a house onto stumps, that is less than I have encountered, but I am starting to realise that they vary. Lots and lots.
    Julie Ellen[biggrin]

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

There is a good book by Hans Doevendans
    all about relocating houses. In NZ, but it’s relevant to anywhere.

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/doef/about_us.html

He will mail it to you for $35 odd and it is SUPER well worth getting if you are thinking about it. It may put you off the process completely, but if you decide to do it, you will be prepared for everything and learn lots of tricks to save you money etc

Participant
    @billyt

thanks mini and julie,

I will deffinitly look into the book you recommend mini as i am looking at doing the relocations in N.z.

I understand there are a lot of areas to be wary of when doing such projects, but also believe if done right can be very rewarding.

Thanks Billy T.

Participant
    @julieellen

The original API article was Oct 04-about relocatables but a bit too vague to be really helpful. I have emailed NZ about that book, but haven’t got a response yet.They run a lavender farm, so maybe they’re busy!
    I have the article and you cam buy back issues from API
    [email protected][biggrin]
    JulieEllen

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

hi Julie,

try

Winnie Doevendans
    lowlandslavender AT clear DOT net DOT nz

Profile photo of brookenbrooken
    Participant
    @brooken

I have been looking into this as well but are having trouble finding a company in Adelaide that sells second hand transportable homes. Does anyone have any contacts for this in SA?

Thanks

Participant
    @julieellen

Thanks, Mini. I did try that email but it was returned. I might try a phone call yo NZ and will let you know.
    I don’t know any SA movers, but the first API article did include a story about a couple doing projects there, and that would be a start. Look in your yellow pages on line under the exact category. It is House Relocation Services here, anyway. Kilmore House Removers is the only website that I have found that gives its costing guidelines and a bit of solid onfo.
    Pip Pip
    JulieEllen

Profile photo of MelcMelc
    @melc

Hi

there was a story in API from some people who did that in SA. This website http://www.dalbyremovalhomes.com.au/relocating.htm also has great informatin on what is required as far as permits, finance etc.

Good Luck with your venture

Melc

Melinda

Profile photo of RedhavenRedhaven
    @redhaven

We relocated an old colonial as our PPOR 4 years ago and believe me it’s STILL mid-reno…although it looks like a palace compared to how it arrived. One job gets started, then has to be paused til another job is dealt with, which in turn exposes another!

I think we must have had temporary insanity because we didn’t break down and cry when we saw how dreadful it looked, when it first arrived. Anyway it gave us a leg up, providing us with a 5 bedroom 3 bathroom home that we could not have otherwise afforded, and certainly plenty of room. Buuuut…oh my goodness, the hard work! the cracks in the floor and walls, the windows that failed to shut once the house was actually level…I would do it again, yes, but only with plenty of money up my sleeve to save my sanity. I would also be a little more discerning (make that a LOT) with the choice of home.

And your question about the roof…our council’s requirement was “new roof” and with that, the inside of the roof had to be according to the current wind rating etc…we had to pay around $5500 for extra support inside the roof cavity before they put the iron back on.

My husband is calling out for me to inform you that our council required that every single crack on the outside of the house had to be gapfilled (we bought boxes and boxes and boxes of the stuff) and any decaying putty in windows must be replaced. Our bond was 9K and two inspections and 4 years later, they still have $500 of the bond…we still are mid-throes of painting the exterior and have 2 windows needing to be replaced.

Be warned, although it can be an absolutely fantastic leg up, it is SUCH AN ENORMOUS LOT OF WORK. Choose your house – and removalist – wisely. Get things written into a contract. We had heard terrible reports of the company we chose, and yet they had what we wanted. We told them anything they did for us would have to be written in BLOOD!! They were so determined to change their reputation, we got an incredibly good deal…entire new roof included, not just the main centre, and other extras. Something as simple as them providing a skip bin for the tons of rubbish was appreciated, and apparently a first, according to their contractors.

Anyway, don’t let us put you off. If you are in the mood for an adventure, then buckle your seatbelt and bite the bullet – if nothing else it will be an enormously satisfying feeling when it is all finally completed.[biggrin]

Redhaven.

“I alone know the plans I have for you, plans to bring you prosperity and not disaster, plans to bring about the future you hope for.” ~ GOD ~ (Jeremiah 29:11)

Participant
    @julieellen

I did get a reply and they are sending the book. Many Thanks
    Julie Ellen

Participant
    @julieellen

Dear Redhaven,
    I am really, really interested in your experience with your relocated PPOR, and a colonial at that.
    Is your house unfinished because of the usual tardiness with our own houses—-we have unpainted doorframes in ours, five years later!What problems relate to mini developers like me, who will use trades for most of the work, planning on spending 35-40k once house is on site?
    why don’t the windows close? Do more modern windows work better? What about doors? Anything to put in the mover’s contract?
    Would love to hear more from you.
    JulieEllen[biggrin]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.