All Topics / Help Needed! / AIMING TO BE A MILLIONAIRE BY 30

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of mcubedmcubed
    @mcubed

GREETINGS ALL!

THIS IS MY AIM, MILLION DOLLAR PORTFOLIO.I HAVE ABOUT 10,000 CASH AT THE MOMENT, WORKING FULL TIME – 40k. IAM 22.
    I AM WANTING TO KNOW THE BEST TIPS, HOW I CAN ACHIEVE THIS.
    SHOULD I START IN PROPERTY NOW OR SHARES FIRST OR WHAT? BUY SOMETHING OUT WEST? SAVE MORE? ETC
    LOOK FORWARD TO EVEYONE’S RESPOSNES!

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

It would be best if you refrased this question as it is too broad!

Shares vs Property? Big arguments comming up – Do a search on the topics and you’ll get more thatn you bargained for in answers.

How much research have you done? Any good books you’ve read? Any plans at all that you have made (appart from the obvious headline)? Give us something to work with and tell us what kind of personality you are. These would halp us all to make pointed suggestions.

Best wishes.

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of mcubedmcubed
    @mcubed

thanks for ur response!

well i am steering more toward property over shares, as i see shares to be a bit risky? thoughts?

i have just noticed somethign in new farm, brisbane (near city) $120,000 studio, looks nice, 155 per week rented atm. thoughts? do i still get the gov grant for this if i bought a unit?

as for personality, I am so keen to get ahead property wise! i have worked a bit in real estate (administration only) although just recently got licesne. agent paid for it. although not in the industry atm.
    dont mind a bit of hard work! to get somewhere.

havent done much research.

look forward to ur reponses

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4
    well i am steering more toward property over shares, as i see shares to be a bit risky? thoughts

Hehe, this one propably will draw a lot of input, so here is my input: I don’t know much about shares! But on the whole I believe that they are calssed as more risky than IPs as they tend to be easily liquidated. The trends (as far as I can tell) is that, when IPs are not going well, share are doing well (over simplified – but that is all I got), and vikky-versa! It depends on your education level. For me I found IPs easy to grasp and so have pursued it first with the intent of going into shares at a later date.

i have just noticed somethign in new farm, brisbane (near city) $120,000 studio, looks nice, 155 per week rented atm. thoughts? do i still get the gov grant for this if i bought a unit?

You should be eligible for the FHOG if you haven’t already owned or part owned a home! Unit or house shouldn’t make a difference, although if wrong some-one will point that out. Once you get the FHOG, you need to have lived in the studio for at least 6 months some time with-in the first year of purchase! Is the studio a good buy? Don’t know, what do you know of the area? Is there demand for studio style accommodation? Is the rent quoted correct? No point in buying it if the rent is too high and nobody wants to live in it! What is happening to the town (are there many new appartments going up?) – what would make your studio less/ more attractive to renters? etc,etc,etc…….

My question towards the personality wasn’t aimed at whether or not you’re keen, but more towards what style of investing do you want to do? Wrapps, flips, buy-and-hold, etc? Are you happy to be agressive in style (I know I am not)? These things will affect your investment strategies.

How much have you saved (don’t give an exact answer)? Are you employed? Do you know how much you can borrow (before you go to the banks!)? Do you know how much servicability you have?

Still keen? Good on you! It can be daunting at the beginning, but try out the search engine on this site and you’ll be amazed at how much info is already there! Keep chopping away Tiger! The only way is up.

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of LumwoodLumwood
    @lumwood

Sounds to me like your a bit of a novice. Which is ok, we all have to start somewhere. You are keen that is good, but do you have the dedication to stick it out? Right until you have reached your goal?

Its not just a case of buying property and renting it out, hey bingo million dollar portfolio. If you dont know what you’re doing you could quickly turn your 10k into -90k if your not careful.

Read, read, read and read some more. You can never stop building your wealth of information, especially in real estate. Once you have the knowledge you will understand where you have to go next.

You obviously have a goal in mind, but how are you going to get there? What are you waypoints to your goal? Your mini-goals to reach your mega-goal so to say?

As to the figures, once you have read enough you will begin to understand how the due dilligence process is run, this includes analysis of your investment figures. A purchase price and an approx weekly rental aren’t all you’ll need. My calculations produce a rough 3.5% CoCR. Is that good enough for you to reach your goal? What about the area it’s in? New Farm is good, and up market, but the area is also a bit derilict is some places. Growth rate/potential? Vacancy Rate? Potential for Capital Growth?

These are just some of the questions you need to ask yourself before you jump in head first. Make sure you can swim before you jump in the deep end. So fisrt things first. Make sure you know what your doing.

– “Life is what happens when your busy making other plans” –

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

If you aim to be a millionaire by 30, you need to write down your goals and strategies and look at them every day – what you visualise you will achieve. Work at it. Start off small, buy property at the cheaper end of the market, buy good shares. Deposit your cash into a 5%+ on call account. I had a stragey – 12 properties in 18 months – worked at it and achieved it.

Anna

Profile photo of IbuycashflowIbuycashflow
    Participant
    @ibuycashflow

Three questions to answer:

Where am I now? (write it down in terms of wealth)

Where do I want to go? (eg millionaire by 30)

How do I get there? You need a plan that you can constantly refer to and revise if necessary. Check periodically to ensure you are on the right track

Cheers
    Jeff

@mcubed

thanks so much for all ur responses!
    so looks like i need to read more, – boring! :-( i just want to get in there and start!
    anyone want to take me on board??

basically i have 10 g’s, fulltime job and looking to create weatlh asap!

thoughts>?

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman
    so looks like i need to read more, – boring! :-(

Sorry, the grunt work is not exciting….Maybe as a first active step…share funds (possible overseas?) might be a good first step.. Start off with a few thousand and an a small amount from your pay to start the ball rolling….

It will start your investing now, get you in the habit to saving and allows you time also to research and yes…read…

Profile photo of unannouncedunannounced
    @unannounced
    so looks like i need to read more, – boring! :-(
    basically i have 10 g’s, fulltime job and looking to create weatlh asap! i just want to get in there and start!

Then the best thing you could probably do is get in there and start reading, or start learning *somehow*, tapes or seminars or something. Books just happen to be a really good source of information, and you would probably be hard pressed to find a successfull property investor who’s never read a book on it.

You mention that shares are risky… diving into an investment you only have a casual knowledge of how it works is even MORE risky.

Doing your research and finding what makes a good property, what makes a good deal, what strategies are available to you should really be a high priority.

I guess it depends how much you really want to achieve your goals. Your’ve set an early age to achieve these goals. Your commitment though your actions need to match the height of your goals. It’s going to be alot of hard work.

Profile photo of Greg FGreg F
    @greg-f
    Originally posted by mcubed:

Looks like i need to read more, – boring! :-(I just want to get in there and start! Anyone want to take me on board?? Basically i have 10 g’s, fulltime job and looking to create weatlh asap! Thoughts?

You asked for our thoughts, so watch out!!

I’m wary that your enthusiasm doesn’t appear to extend to putting in the long hours of solid due diligence / research that success in this game actually takes.

You need to be more focused. You appear too scattergun – ish. I love your enthusiasm, but I suggest as a first practical step that you list, in detail (and for your own benefit, not ours, although we need to see your detailed, precise list) ALL the books you’ve already read. We’ll know them all, or most. And please don’t fudge the list to impress us.

We want to help, but you’ve got to get more real, and that’s shorthand for “more professional”. No hard feelings, okay. I repeat, we want to help, but you need to roll up your sleeves, sharpen your pencil, buy a financial calculator, and READ.

Keep smiling, and keep up your enthusiasm.
    Cheers
    Greg

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

TOUCHDOWN!

Sorry, but you can always play lotto! No need to read there!

Cheers

C@34

@mcubed

woodsman!

thanks for ur response
    please tell me more about share funds (overseas)

and to everyone else thanks for ur input! really appreciat it :-)
    i just want to starting investing asap, but reliase i need to read more!
    possibly wait until the market settles down,
    but the longer i wait, i wont be able acheive my goal of having 1M worth of property by the time i am 30! and ideas to get there quicker! thanks again. i was thinking of getting some amp shares or westpac bank shares with 8 g’s??

Participant
    @calvin_thirty4
    originally posted by mcubed:
    i just want to starting investing asap, but reliase i need to read more!
    possibly wait until the market settles down,
    but the longer i wait, i wont be able acheive my goal of having 1M worth of property by the time i am 30! and ideas to get there quicker!

Hey, I know you feel! I’ve been “awoken” nearly 12 months ago and I am chomping at the bit to get my first IP and then the next day more IPs. The longer I have been studdying the ‘smarter’ (I hope) my choices become. I am now in the position where to get an IP now would stretch me too much and I could risk loosing it all (incl. PPOR)[cigar], so I wait a bit, get more ideas from the ‘mature’ investors and plan for what I want to achieve – and refine the plan some more. It sux having to sit on my hands, but I want to go forward NOT backwards!
    Take your time, investing has a snowball effect. Once you have one CF+ IP it will be eaasier to get the second one. Then you have two and it will be easier to get another two CF+ IPs and so on. Although I don’t think you will progress exponentially, I believe expansion is possible close to that – WITH THE RIGHT KNOWLEDGE, DUE-DILLIGENCE AND PLAN.

Being told to slow down and learn is not a slap in the face, it is as much for your guidance as it is for your protection (in a way). Stick with it, you’ll determine how fast you go!

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman
    please tell me more about share funds (overseas)

I am no expert, but any of the major managed funds groups like BT, Commonwealth and there are heaps others. All have different share funds with different risk/return profiles.

Try google (share funds) it will point you to hours of more reading!

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hey mcubed,

I don’t think you have to really wait till the market settles down, just wait until you know how to get what you want. All above has said, do the legwork and build your knowledge which is a real pain, I know, however the key word is risk. Shares can be considered risky to some for the reason that the market can be volatile, however, entry wise, costs can be quite low with your exposure limited to what you put in. You cna usually always sell your shares if the price drops albeit with copping a loss. Property is different in that your entry cost is the deposit you put down, however you are liable for the whole amount. Property tends to be less volatile, however it takes longer to get out and losses can be higher. Comes back to this risk in that if you have knowledge and current info, you can minimise that risk. That goes for shares or property.

I have mentioned in other threads that ASX do online courses in shares / options / warrants etc which are pretty good, and scrolling through heaps of the threads in this site will give some good insight into property.

good luck and happy hunting!!

Profile photo of blueboysblueboys
    Participant
    @blueboys

[buz2]mcubed ‘patience grasshopper’
    books can be boring yes. i read 2 books in my first 35 years and about 25 in the last couple.all ip books.
    first invest. book was rich dad poor dad then richest man in babylon , both good reads. then others. crawl before u walk, read heaps etc etc etc bla bla bla[biggrin]happy investing

g. granland

@greg-f
    Originally posted by mcubed:

…Thanks for ur input!really appreciat it:-)
    i just want to starting investing asap, but reliase i need to read more! possibly wait until the market settles down, but the longer i wait, i wont be able acheive my goal of having 1M worth of property by the time i am 30! and ideas to get there quicker! thanks again. i was thinking of getting some amp shares or westpac bank shares with 8 g’s??

Hi again mcubed

Hope my (and others) apparent “bluntnesses” haven’t frightened you off property. We’re actually a lot more helpful than I think you might realise. By all means head into the sharemarket (and it might be the most astute thing for you to do right now). But whether it’s property or shares, you need to read VORACIOUSLY.

My earlier post was actually an offer. Please post the list of books you’ve read so far, so we can get an idea of where your knowledge is currently at (no shame in being new, okay, we ALL had to start somewhere). If we have this knowledge, we’ll be in a better position to advise you re how to best structure /sequence the next few books we think you would most benefit from reading.

Looking forward to seeing your list.

Cheers
    Greg

@greg-f
    Originally posted by Greg F:

Quote:
    My earlier post was actually an offer.

One more tip, mcubed.

You might like to PM “Still in School”, a respected younger member of this forum. SIS is 22-23 years old and invests in property as well as trades in shares.

Click “Members” in the top LHS of this page, and go to the letter “S”, where you’ll find him. Read his profile, and if you like what you see, PM him (I hope SIS doesn’t want my “guts for garters” for dobbing him in) [biggrin][biggrin]

Cheers
    Greg

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.