All Topics / Help Needed! / career in real estate

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of RickstaRicksta
    @ricksta

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question. I need help!! so seems like it should be!

I’ve quit my job – got 4 weeks to go and want to venture into real estate. I have been planning a career change for a while and since I enjoy property investing this industry seems like the obvious choice.

Does anyone out there have any advice about the best way to enter it before I go knocking on employers doors?

Has anyone had success with a certain company?

I have read all the posts in the “opininated forum” about the Jenman system. Therea re pro’s and cons for this but so far that system seems to most appropriate for a beginner because of the guaranteed salary.

I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum so any constructive advice would be much appreciated.[thumbsup2]

Cheers
    Rick

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Hi Rick*,
    Good luck with your career change, be sure to let us know how you go. I worry that it may be difficult to break into an industry that is experiencing a record slow down, but there are always opportunities for the right person.[cap]
    F.

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Hi Rick,
    You might like to check out this link and Scroll down the page to course No. 17339. Its the OTEN site (Open Training & Education Network) you can do the course online.
    It might be appropriate for your purpose, check with the Real Estate Institute in your state first. Good Luck!
    http://www.oten.edu.au/oten/study/courses/CILS/lettersearch.cfm?letter=p
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of RickstaRicksta
    @ricksta

thanks for the suggestions… I know the industry is slowing down but I am not concerned that its not the flavour of the month.

As a web developer I remember how tough it was to get a job after the dot com bubble burst.. and I figure if I can get in now I’ll have some experience and be ready for the next upturn.[thumbsup2]

Profile photo of DanTheManDanTheMan
    @dantheman

My advise in having a career in real estate, is to be an investor in it, and not an agent. Easier said than done though.

Dan.

The most important thing is to make the most important thing, the most important thing.

Anon.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You would have to do the intiall course of approx 2-5 days to qualify as a real estate sales person. These costs up to around $500 usually. Once you get that you should be able to get a job under a licenced agent.

Then while working, it would be worthwhile studying the full licenced real estate agents course. After you complete this you can then go out and open your own agency. This course is about 3 months full time or of 1 day per week for one year. Or you can do the diploma at TAFE which is slower – 4 years.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

When I was a young lad and impressionable I thought i wanted to be a real estate agent and drive around in a fancy car ( In the 60’s they were driving big American Yank Tanks)

Then I realised that it was the people the estate agent was working for – the property owners- who were the wealthy ones, not the agent.

I have read that the average agent earns $30,000 per annum. Now I know you won’t be an average agent, but……

Now I am older and wiser and I am a property developer and investor and I also own an estate agency (www.rentingmelbourne.com.au)

I know where there is more money to be made. I can make more in one good property development than any of my licensed agents make in a year (and it took them 3 years to get their license)

Having said that, real estate is a great way to make a fair living if you are prepared to work very, very hard.

You first need to get an agent’s representative license (short very easy part time evening course)before any agency will even talk to you.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

@ricksta

Thanks for the insight so far

At the moment I am on $50,000 a year but what I do doesnt interest me. I do have a plan of investing in property for a living but I see the real estate job as a step forward to understanding the industry I am and will be spending my money in. Developing does interest me immensly aswell but got walk before I can run.

Does anyone know which is the best course to do in Queensland for starters.

Anyone got a job for a super keen 29yr old on the Sunshine Coast?

cheers
    Rick

@ricksta

Got an interview with Raine and Horne this weekend.

Just for the interest of other people thinking of moving into the industry the starting award wage is $476 gross per week… YOUCH!![thumbsdownanim[confused2]

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by Ricksta:

Got an interview with Raine and Horne this weekend.

GGood luck with your interview

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Ricksta,
    I read in today’s ‘Age’ that the current minimum wage is $462 (ish?). My point is that it doesn’t matter. I believe that it’s better to ‘work to learn’ than it is to ‘work for money’. If this is your passion, the money will follow. You cannot put a dollar value on life.
    Best of luck,
    Gatsby!
    PS. I also believe that it’s better not to work – PERIOD! (However, it’s not paying divid ends for me at the moment! lol)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.