All Topics / Legal & Accounting / what can you claim for tax???

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of TyTy
    @ty

Hi All

I’m going to be getting my first IP in the next 6 month and was just wondering what exactly can i claim on tax as far as the IP goes, Repairs? Landscaping fees, additives(ie air con)
    anything that can be added it would be greatly appreciated, i’m sure i’m not the only one that could use advice.

sucking your brains for all i can, Free advice is the cheapest i’ve found.

Thanks
    Ty

Profile photo of DramDram
    @dram

There are a few items that can be claimed.

• Interest & fees charged on loan
    • Property management fees
    • body corporate (for units)
    • council rates
    • water rates
    • depreciation
    • repairs *

Here is a link to a previous post on depreciation.

* Repairs vs improvement is a tricky subject. You can claim a repair, but can only depreciate an inprovement. An example…the element in your property’s hot water system has blown. If you replace the element, this is a repair and can be claimed. If you decide to replace the enitre HWS, (such as upgrading the size of the HWS) this is classed as a capital improvement and can only be depreciated. An accountant or Quantity Surveyor can help in this area.

Hope this helps for starters.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Ty,

For a full guide – try this link.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/42782.htm

Derek
    [email protected]

Property investment advice and researched property in quality locations available.

Profile photo of TyTy
    @ty

Thanks Derek and Dram’s this infomation is great it’s just what i wanted sorry needed to now.
    Just to extend on it a bit more, we are looking at building another bed room on the house, the rest of the house is old can we do the depreciation on the new extension??

Ty

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Ty,

Anything that is an improvement is only depreciable – it is not claimable as a repair. Whereas something that constitutes a repair can be claimed in the year in which the work took place.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property investment advice and researched property in quality locations available.

Profile photo of TyTy
    @ty

ok guys

I have started to read the stuff on the ato web site that derek informed me of, the way i read it, if i have a loan to add the extra room on, i can claim all the interest incured on the loan. Am i reading this correct????
    As for the depreciation, i can claim this each year but only get a certain % back each year, but can the new room be depreciated, the rest of the house wouldn’t be able to be due to it’s age.

thanks guys, sorry for being a pain in the arse but i want to now as much as possible before i make the leap.

Ty

work smarter, not harder

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Ty

That sounds correct to me. If you borrow to improve an investment property, then the interest should be dedcutible. The building cost of the room would be claimed as depreciation at 2.5% for 40 years, and any fittings in the room such as carpet etc could also be claimed via depreciation – usually over a much short time such as 5 years.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.