All Topics / General Property / near water and next to main road ???

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of luckyinvestorluckyinvestor
    @luckyinvestor

It is obvious the houses near water (ocean front, river front .. ) grow faster than others

But I ve notice that most of the water front properties are also on the very noisy road, beach road, riverside drive, they are always busy with cars?

I have never lived in a house like that, How is it like living in a house like that? exposed to the public and noise ?

and Buyers are not all deterred by this fact [blink]

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

In a nutshell luckyinvestor, no they’re not. The hustle and bustle of living on a heavily vehicle and human trafficked road is often outweighed by the ease of access to the shores and breathtaking water views.

Some people are concerned with it, especially as beach-goers are constantly “in your face” or “on your doorstep” so to speak, but that is just a consequence of living near a public recreational spot. These same people who don’t like the idea, often feel their security is more at risk because of the constant flow of visitors to its shores, hence many of them either use these properties as either permanent or holiday rental investments.

There is always the option of buying a few streets back, where access is not as straight forward as merely crossing the street, and if not set too far back but still high enough may still capture great views and offer much pleasure.

Using another example, look at high rise apartments in the cities. They are great if you like that type of lifestyle, but I daresay being in the heart of a city business centre is hardly going to be quiet. All in all, it comes down to personal choice. [biggrin]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Having lived on a main road most of my life, you get used to the noise. It kinda melts into the background and you become oblivious.

I think if people wanted that lifestyle of living near water, there will always be some compromise. Monopoly’s hit the nail on the head. If it doens’t sound good to you, buy a bit back. If it is for a rental, I really don’t think the noisy road would put people off coz they would have actively been looking for a place by the water.

Me? Live in a really quiet house now, and when I go home to M&D’s, the noise initially annoys me, then I become immune to it again…

Steph.

Profile photo of Go Girl GoGo Girl Go
    @go-girl-go

Hi luckyinvestor,

Everyone is different and each to their own.

I’ve lived on Earls Court Rd in London with juggernaut trucks cruising past 24/7 (noise was horrendous) but at that time I was happy to rent there because it was close to everything..train station, shops..and it was straight across from the pub!!
    I’ve also lived right on the beach in Sydney above a main drag…once again the traffic was horrendous (you get used to it) but the location was superb.

When you think of the millions of properties on busy roads that are all occupied and when they go on the market they always get sold.. you realise that there is someone out there for every property….just depends on personal preference and circumstances!

GGG

Profile photo of hotchocolatehotchocolate
    @hotchocolate

My one piece of advice is go and stand around at a property at all hours, especially sleeping hours.

I lived in two units that were around the corner from eachother in London, both very busy roads. I always thought noise didn’t bother me, great trade off for convenience, and I am never home sleeping at peak hour. In the first unit, you could hear the traffic but it wasn’t too bad, and with TV or music on, you couldn’t really hear it, and it died off after 8pm anyway. Also the traffic was so bad, the noise was less because they travelled so slowly.

I thought unit two would be similar. Although it was on a really major road, I figured traffic would die off after 8 or 9pm and wouldn’t get going in the morning until after 6.30 or 7am.

HOW WRONG I WAS!

Big trucks loved to use the road in the middle of the night, at 2am, 3am, and because there was no other traffic they would hurl down the road.

I hated that place! Couldn’t sleep! Had to use ear plugs and could still hear the bloody trucks! Luckily we only lived there for 2 months but even then I wanted to cry every night!

So check the noise between 10pm and 7am!!

HC

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.