All Topics / Help Needed! / FINDING THE CONFIDENCE

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Foundation, so what are your credentials to give out advice??

Profile photo of SafferSaffer
    @saffer

Thanks for your feedback Foundation. I was beginning to think to myself ‘Am I missing something?’ after reading some of the ‘advice’.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Originally posted by woodsman:

A fair question perhaps, but what use posting qualifications on an internet forum? What does it matter providing the advice I dispense does not cause harm to others?
    I think any poor or misguiding advice deserves to be challenged, and I would urge everyone to do so.
    Remember, Nads73 has much to lose if a hasty or ill-informed investment decision is made.
    So perhaps it is time for me to advise Nads rather than simply picking on other posts?

Nads73, your collection of ‘good books’ should include:

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds by ANDREW TOBIAS

Manias, Panics, and Crashes: A History of Financial Crises by Charles P. Kindleberger

How to Profit from the Coming Real Estate Bust : Money-Making Strategies for the End of the Housing Bubble by John Rubino

and

Irrational Exuberance by ROBERT J SHILLER
    when the 2005 edition hits the streets.

Just for a few. Remember, if the author offers an expensive seminar, put the book back on the shelf.

Cheers & Goodluck Nads,
    F.[cap]

Profile photo of TorachanTorachan
    @torachan
    Originally posted by foundation:

Originally posted by woodsman:

A fair question perhaps, but what use posting qualifications on an internet forum? What does it matter providing the advice I dispense does not cause harm to others?
    I think any poor or misguiding advice deserves to be challenged, and I would urge everyone to do so.
    Remember, Nads73 has much to lose if a hasty or ill-informed investment decision is made.
    So perhaps it is time for me to advise Nads rather than simply picking on other posts?

Nads73, your collection of ‘good books’ should include:

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds by ANDREW TOBIAS

Manias, Panics, and Crashes: A History of Financial Crises by Charles P. Kindleberger

How to Profit from the Coming Real Estate Bust : Money-Making Strategies for the End of the Housing Bubble by John Rubino

and

Irrational Exuberance by ROBERT J SHILLER
    when the 2005 edition hits the streets.

Just for a few. Remember, if the author offers an expensive seminar, put the book back on the shelf.

Cheers & Goodluck Nads,
    F.[cap]

Foundation speaks a lot of sense in my opinion. How to Profit from the Coming Real Estate Bust : Money-Making Strategies for the End of the Housing Bubble by John Rubino is a great read and is available from the public library if you are to cheap to invest $30 before you risk $100’s of thousands

Hey but you guys buy at the top of the largest asset bubble in the history of mankind.

Id say good luck but luck is for chumps in this game. Planning is the key and if your research consists of the last 6 years …………

Profile photo of Les KLes K
    @les-k

The bulletin board makes interesting reading doesn’t it? I like all of the positive stuff coming through.

I have been buying investment properties for the past 5 years .

All were bought either negative or neutrally geared. My two in Brisbane are now +CF due to unbelievable capital gains and subsequent rent increases. Melbourne has been stable [bummer].

It’s scary and exhilerating buying property, but I figure you can’t go too far wrong. After all you can always sell it again.

I suggest to my friends [some of which are now in property investments] to buy one [don’t forget your Section 15 tax break] and sit on it for about 12 months to see how it goes. Once you’re comfortable with that you expand your horizons and buy more.

I’m now looking at branching out and aggresively looking for +CF properties for the end of the year. That gives me 10 months while the Pearsall property settles down.

Cheers

Les K.

Profile photo of RYEDGERYEDGE
    @ryedge

Top post BlueBoys!

I really enjoyed it and agree with many of your ideas. I have shared your position also with negative friends, family, workmates etc. Especially starting out as an investor at 20yrs old.

“I would rather try my hardest and fail 100 times than never try, for fear of failing”

Good One!!

Ryan Crawford…

Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

Hi

Les K:

May i ask if your properties are in a trust or bought in own names.

Cheers
    SG

Profile photo of blueboysblueboys
    Participant
    @blueboys

ryan, thanks for the reply. gee… to be in my 20’s again and thinking of investing,sigh.
    ryan,get into the reading groove and grab some books.theres plenty to choose from, some i have found interesting reading are
    rich dad poor dad, the richest man in babylon,
    how to build riches by bruce davis
    money secrets of the rich by john burley
    take from each what you will, happy investing

g. granland

Profile photo of Amre21Amre21
    Participant
    @amre21

Hi all,
    I am also in a similar situation to Nads as I am considering property investment as a way to ascertain financial freedom and the accumulation of wealth. This is my first time reading and posting in this forum and I am finding it to be extremely educational thus far. I am looking at borrowing with a 5% deposit and purchasing two properties with the one loan, renting one out, renovating and living in the other for a year and then borrowing against the rental after 6mths- year to purchase a third property to rent out as the loan will not be associated with that property at all (on paper). After a year i may also sell the 1st property (after rennovating) to allow me to access the captial i gain through rennovating and purchasing at a low price.-(40,000) then renov. 35-45,000 and selling 160,000+.
    I am only 21 and this opportunity has arisen through family and I am extremely reluctant to pursue this plan simply because i do not feel that i have learned enough about what i intend to do, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me, or if anyone could refer me to materials that could further educate me?
    Also was wondering what people on here mean by subdividing, and what a +CF property is, and what the 11 things to look out for are and what I should avoid when buying investment properties and how quickly or slowly I should purchase investment properties, for example, if I can purchase two immediately, should I and If I can purchase a third or even third and fourth within 12mths, should I or would it be wiser to wait for a period to see what happens with the first one/two?
    Thankyou, look forward to reading your reply posts!![biggrin]

“BE COMMITTED, DO WHAT IT TAKES AND YOU’LL HAVE WHAT YOU WANT”.

Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious

Crashes and Real Estate Bust books ,now thats definetly bad advice.
    Manias, Panics, and Crashes. More bad advice.

What boubble bust?

What does it matter providing the advice I dispense does not cause harm to others?I think any poor or misguiding advice deserves to be challenged, and I would urge everyone to do so.

Yeah right. You have what qualifications in financial advice and law?

It matters.

Dom
    [biggrin]

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Originally posted by SALACIOUS:

Crashes and Real Estate Bust books ,now thats definetly bad advice.
    Manias, Panics, and Crashes. More bad advice.

Spoken like a dot.com ‘investor’…[whistle]

What boubble bust?

Spoken like a UK property investor in 1988…[whistle]
    In both cases the evidence was freely available, yet the ‘investors’ continued to behave with the same ‘irrational exhuberance’ that enabled the bubbles to form. Remember, when the only fundamental that counts is yesterday’s capital gain, that is the very essence of a speculative bubble.

Yeah right. You have what qualifications in financial advice and law?

Why would I need to detail my education history in order to post helpful information, while those handing out questionable and dangerous advice go unchallenged?[wacko]

It matters.

If you’d prefer lies from a genius to fact from a fool, that is your prerogative.
    Some advice for yourself – Dictionary.com. When you have learnt to spell, check the definition of ‘market’.
    Hell, I’ll save you the time and post it:

Main Entry: mar·ket
    Function: noun
    d : the area of economic activity in which buyers and sellers come together and the forces of supply and demand affect prices

Now, have you any helpful advice for Nads?
    Cheers,
    F.[cap]

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Nads,

Great thread. Some very good advice from some very experienced investors. Some of this is old ground I know but I hope you dont mind me sharing. The biggest thing I have found to help with confidence is the experience of doing. Try putting together a few deals with the help of others. As time goes on you can do more and more of the process yourself. Once you have a few under your belt there will be no stopping you. You have had the confidence to put yourself out there on the forum which shows strength. Good luck with your investing experience and enjoy the ride.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

I can second that!

originally posted by Don and Liz:
    The biggest thing I have found to help with confidence is the experience of doing.

Once you think you have learned all there is and you try your hand, you discover how and what to put into practice. We had several goes at it, first few times we goofed and then it finally came together. Pitty that we found out afterwards the information that showed it to have been a poor investment. Thankfully we got out of it!

Theory and practice are worlds appart! Once you have a couple of trys under your belt, you’ll know and refine your efforts. I love the chase, my wife loves the solutions; I do the heavy lifting and moving and she does the detailed work – great partnership.
    Don’t rush, but be steadfast in your efforts, BUT HAVE A GO![cigar]
    It will complement all the theory!

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious

Foundation,
    Your extreme lack of knowledge and diplomacy on this forum shows your inmaturity. How old are you 20,30.
    You analise to much and are you learning how to spell at the moment?

Why would I need to detail my education history in order to post helpful information, while those handing out questionable and dangerous advice go unchallenged?

Still avoiding the questions on your qualifications ,if you dont think it necessary why not post them? Listen to your own advice.

Spoken like a dot.com ‘investor’…

Where you around then?

If you’d prefer lies from a genius to fact from a fool, that is your prerogative.
    Some advice for yourself – Dictionary.com. When you have learnt to spell, check the definition of ‘market’.
    Hell, I’ll save you the time and post it:
    Main Entry: mar·ket
    Function: noun
    d : the area of economic activity in which buyers and sellers come together and the forces of supply and demand affect prices

Thats clever you get a star for effort now go look for the this meaning “Courtesy” boy.

Dom

[biggrin]

Profile photo of Go Girl GoGo Girl Go
    @go-girl-go

SALACIOUS

….You’ve lost me there…..or is it just too early in the morning!! I’m going back to bed!!

GGG

Profile photo of Miss JoMiss Jo
    @miss-jo

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    My husband and I came to Australia with nothing, we bought a property with my parents owning a 20% share as we had no deposit. We [paid $255k for it, at the time we could have purchased a lovely 4bed house pool etc in the area, however we chose to buy a small- very ordinary house, that was on 11 acres (not that we need the land) but we recognised that is was zoned future urban development. All our freinds thought we were crazy as it had been zoned this for 20 years. 5 years later we sold it for 1.5mil. The leason here is go with your gut fealing not the safety zone our friends are now green as we have no mortage on a beautiful home, plus 4 P/G investment houses, they are still paying their mortgage.

Profile photo of Go Girl GoGo Girl Go
    @go-girl-go

foundation
    :::::::Your quote::::(one of the stupidest pieces of advice ever posted on this forum!!!)

Everyone has their own views and opinions and ways of looking at life………..so you are entitled to take it anyway you want…….”Anyone of us can do anything we like as long as we belive we can!!!!!”

GGG

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

SALACIOUS & GoGirlGo seem to be fed up with foundations derogative, condiscending, and argumentative posts.

Add me to the list. [realsad]

Sharon

Profile photo of blueboysblueboys
    Participant
    @blueboys

great story jo and tom i love hearing that stuff while many will call you lucky i prefer to call it the ‘power of positive thinking’ looking at what can be done as apposed to being told what ‘cant be done’ by others has given you a lifestyle you richly deserve.

g. granland

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Ahh yes, alas my parents came from O/S as well with the same intentions. Unlike Tom and Jos’ parents they never bought property but instead bought businesses (not all at the same time but one after the other) and worked very hard and long hours.
    I can sing a song about the number of deals they had in their grasp, but let go at the last minute! The hardest to deal with, I guess, is an appartment looking into the WACCA!!!
    Would you believe they offered $32K for it and it was accepted?!?!?!? They were going to do it in partnership with some friends who pulled out; and even-though my parents had the money to BUY IT OUTRIGHT, they let it go………..[cry]

What can you do? This has become one of the driving forces for me now.

Cheers

C@34

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.