All Topics / Help Needed! / stamp duty help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of pointblankpointblank
    @pointblank

Good morning all,

I work in development finance in Victoria, and am
    wondering if there is some sort of loophole in stamp duty? Is there a way to reduce the amount of stamp duty paid?

I have been seeing many projects with 1-5% allocated for stamp duty, (2.xx% being most common). How is this possible? I cant seem to get a straight answer from co-workers, and as I am new to the workforce I have no clients to ask as yet. This is puzzling me!

Thanks

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

I would suspect that this is because Victoria where a building is only partly completed will charge on the value of the land plus percentgae of building works

try a search on http://www.sro.vic.gov.au

Profile photo of pointblankpointblank
    @pointblank

thanks for the reply, though thats not the case as the purchases are on land/completed buildings.
    Still puzzled! [confused2]

Profile photo of spaldospaldo
    @spaldo

ive seen situations where the builder or developer may offer stamp duty concessions where they might pay the difference themselves out of their own profits. Have you got a particular example for us to look at? Although youd have to talk to the developer and find out how they came to that result.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.