All Topics / Value Adding / ceiling issues

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of jcls79jcls79
    @jcls79

the builder’s report in a unit that I am looking at Beenleigh (QLD) is coming back and say the ceiling has dropped a good 30mm on
    *lounge,
    * hallway and
    * rear bedroom

my Questions is then what steps (and how much) are needed to get it fixed?

Cheers
    john

Want to join financial independence before 31 years old, currently 25

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Is it an old unit?
    I would ask the writer of the report what they would suggest was the cause. If it’s water damage, you would want to make sure the problem is fixed. Maybe the owners insurance covers repairs.
    Perhaps it’s faulty workmanship/OR faulty materials [biggrin]if it’s fairly new.
    If you purchase as is, you’ll need a gyprock fixer, try the yellow pages or talk to a property manager at the local RE. They usually know all the tradies in the area. Get them to give you a quote.
    You could try DIY if you’re a bit handy.[biggrin]
    Hope it works out for you.
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi John,
    Firstly I would want to know what is causing it. That’s a huge drop, is water entering the ceiling through the roof? Did the builders report say anything about the roof condition?
    I’d speak to him first and see what he thinks the problem is caused by. He should be able to tell you what needs to be done to fix the problem and a rough idea what the cost would be.
    It could simply be a roof leak (or several!) with some tiles needing replacement and then the plaster replaced…I can’t imagine you can fix plaster too easily that has sagged that far…
    Good luck,
    Sue [biggrin]
    P.S. Another source of water damage in the ceiling is a storage hot water unit.

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of jcls79jcls79
    @jcls79

thanks everybody for the reply, the report did came back and reported there was an (unused) hot water unit stored in the ceiling, that maybe the explaination, but the cost of removing the roof and taking it out is far too great for anybody to contemplate… the manhole won’t be large enough to remove the unit, what’s my available options?

1) to cut a hole in the ceiling at one of the room and take it out and re-plaster it?
    2) lift the roof and try to remove it?

either way, it may have affected the structure of the building and we have to wait and see….

btw, it is a 20 year old bedroom unit that is in its original state.

Cheers
    john

Want to join financial independence before 31 years old, currently 25

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi again John,
    You don’t need to remove the unit if it is too big. If it is still holding water their should be discharge valve to empty it. Sometimes this can lead outside (it should), sometimes not…so be careful where it discharges to!
    Before you do this, make sure the water into the tank is disconnected or switched off at a stop tap. Or else it will only refill.
    You can leave the unit in the ceiling if it is not in your way.
    There could also have been a problem with the pipes leading to the unit, other than the unit itself, that caused your problem.
    Have roof leaks been ruled out?
    Cheers,
    Sue [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of busymumbusymum
    Participant
    @busymum

Hi,

have had this happen before and didnt do anything about it, suffice to say the whole thing fell down one day (and dont even think of trying to claim that on insurance). If it is an old building you can have the ceiling restrapped. Often over time the straps deteriate or are destroyed by rodents. Get into the yellow pages and seek out a plasterer. Otherwise bite the bullet and put in all new gyprock celings. Good luck with it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.