All Topics / Help Needed! / Am I doing numbers right?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of colliecollie
    Participant
    @collie

Hi all, I am looking at yet another deal and am hoping someone can help me out with my numbers!
    I am confusing myself[blink]
    Here goes This is a buy renovate sell stratergy over a 6 month period.
    A renovators delight asking price
    $160,000
    Stamp Duty $4,000
    Renovation Cost $20,000 (rough estiamte for new kitchen, install myself, shower in bathroom, retiling, rip up carper and polis fllorboards, paint inside and out)
    Loan Payments for 6 months $4800
    Total Cost = $188,800

Selling Price = $240,000
    Selling fee = $6000 (2.5%)
    Exit Tax NSW = $4800
    CGT = $8760

Profit = $31,640
    Is that right or am I missing something?
    Thanks All[biggrin]

collie

Profile photo of padmaa23108padmaa23108
    @padmaa23108

Hi Collie
    What about Real estate agents selling fees? For $240000 selling price you would be looking at around 7 to 8K atleast if I am not mistaken. Unless you want to sell it privately without an agent, then advertising costs needs to be added.
    Padma

Profile photo of colliecollie
    Participant
    @collie

Hey Padma thanks for your reply, agents fees are included in selling fee, I have allowed $6000 which is 2.5% of selling price. I got that figure from one of Steve’s books.
    Thanks,

collie

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Collie

on the Profit of the property from you figures you gave before CGT i calculated a profit of 40,400. This is the amount CGT will be payable on.
    As you will have held the home for only 6 months you will need to pay the CGT on the full amount so if you pay tax at 30% then thats a CGT of 12,120. Ouch it eats into the profits, Its even worse this Capital gains could push you into the 47% rate then you pay $18,900 TAX- Double Ouch.

One thing to think about is can you rent the home for 6 months, especially at the beginning before you renovate , that way you get the 50% CGT free and then start the reno so when you sell it 12 months later its in new condition

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Participant
    @collie

To me the house is not rentable in current order. rae considering selling 6 months after renovating with tenent in place. The CGT I was calculating was on my income which is FTB of $5200 per year.

collie

Profile photo of TyTy
    @ty

Collie

One thing to look at is if you are going to rip up the carpet and polish the floor boards, how old is the house/floor boards, what type of timber is it and in what sort of condition are they in. might be an idea to go under the house and have a look at them to make sure they are in good condition or that reno figure could blow out in a big way if they need replacing.
    Just a thought, good luck.

Ty

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Collie

i don’t think you are workingout the Capital Gains Tax the right way. My understand is (i’m not an accountant) what you do is add it to your taxable income and pay tax on it as if it was ordinary earnt income.

so my above figure would be correct, i believe.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Collie,

Check your CGT calaculations. As Westan said the net gain is added to your other income and assessed in accordance with the various income tax scales.

I have issues with your projected sale price. Turning $160K into $240K in 6 months sounds attractive (and it is) but the better question is – is it achievable? Where did the sale price come from? What evidence supports it? and so on.

Making investment decisions on best case scenarios can be fraught with danger.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property investment advice and researched property in quality locations available.

Participant
    @collie

I am basing my sale figure on other comparable homes in the same suburb, this house is a deceased estate so it is going cheap…
    Thanks for your help and input everyone.

collie

Profile photo of chupachupchupachup
    Participant
    @chupachup

Hi Collie!
    Don’t mean to eat any further into your profits but, have you included costs for –

Electricity and phone connection
    Loan establishment fee
    Mortgage stamp duty
    Bank solicitor fee
    Mortgage registration
    Title registration
    Search fee
    Conveyancing
    Council Rates
    Advertising costs on selling

There’s probably another $4,000 or so there to consider….

Profile photo of CRUSADER1CRUSADER1
    Participant
    @crusader1

Hi Collie
    Here is my 2 cents’ worth – have you considered to do the deal with your spouse or someone else in your family? If it is done in the name of the person with the lowest income the CGT is assessed at that person’s tax rate. That is were trusts are very beneficial.
    Your accountant should be able to advise you how to set this up.
    Regards
    Crusader1

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Or if you had used a trust, you could then distribute the gain to the lowest income earner and pay much less CGT.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Ok Collie, I can very clearly see 2 rather big problems with your scenario.
    1) Why would the house be worth $80,000 more after your $20,000 renovation?
    2) In a falling market, have you done a comprehensive risk analysis with <$160,000 final selling price?

I’ve seen many people do cheap renos with their own labour over the last 5 years and make massive profits, much like you describe. They fail to realise that in a boom market the massive profit would have resulted, even if the hard work hadn’t been done!
    Speaking of hard work, have you actually completed a renovation?
    Even in a flat market, buyers tastes will not always be the same as yours, therefore your renovation is unlikely to even pay for itself at sale, let alone add 3 times the reno cost to the sale price.

Cheers, F.

Beware the irrational exhuberance.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.