All Topics / Help Needed! / Renovation Costs ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of bacchubacchu
    Participant
    @bacchu

I am a first home buyer and am in desperate need of some help from all you experienced people out here. I was looking to buy a home where i can renovate the house slowly over the years and hopefully increase its value.

I need some help with current renovation costs for the following. Any range (for the average earner ofcourse) would do for a 3BR ensuite home on 800sqm block size and house size around 120sqm.

1. Painting the house from outside
    2. Painting the house from inside
    3. Kitchen
    4. Bathroom
    5. Carpet change
    6. Double garage construction
    7. Garden Landscaping.

Thanx
    Soum

Profile photo of tony wpbtony wpb
    @tony-wpb

what area do you want to live in soum?

Profile photo of bacchubacchu
    Participant
    @bacchu
    Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Hi Soum,
    You will definately increase the value of the property if you renovate. [biggrin]
    You should always shop around, but my rough estimates are as follows:
    [blush2] Assuming you are doing it yourself.
    1. exterior paint – allow $500
    2. interior paint – allow $300
    3. kitchen – maybe $10,000 depends on size/quality of fixtures (cheaper for kitset DIY)
    4. bathroom – maybe $6-10,000 depends on size/quality of fixtures/if you need a plumber/tiler (cheaper for DIY)
    5. Carpet change – consider polishing the floorboards if they are in good condition, it looks great and cheaper than new carpet. If carpet is the go – $3000 upwards for 3brm house/depends on quality.
    6. Double garage – around $5000 for colourbond plus cost of concrete slab -??
    7. landscaping – $1000 plus/depends on how big and if you choose young plants or mature plants

I think the most important thing to do is shop around and ask for quotes. Also sort out what you are comfortable doing yourself, you can save heaps of money if you DIY. Landscaping for example – cheack out the glossy magazines and copy it with plants from a wholesale nursery.[biggrin]
    Hope this helps,
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

As Sharon rightly points out, if you do a lot yourself, the costs come down dramatically as a big component of any work is labour. For example, to paint your house, paint may cost say $200 but with labour, could be $1000. Kitchen and Bathroom prices vary depending on what you do and type of finishes. Costs obviously reduce if you are doing aesthetic changes only and not moving positions of bath, toilet, sink etc.

As for landscaping, how long is a piece if string? Are there retaining walls involved, how big is the area to be landscaped, are you putting in grass, only mulching and a few small plants? You could spend anywhere from $100 to $30,000 depending on the scope of work!

A good source of info is Rawlinsons which has costs of materials labour square metre rates etc for all the different states. Bring them out every year but the best would be quotes!

Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

thanks jhopper for the info about Rawlinsons. I now have the website in favourites.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.