All Topics / Help Needed! / build a business and sell it/rent it out?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of aumeowaumeow
    Participant
    @aumeow

My business partner and i were looking into starting a business and then selling it off when it is good?

we were thinking of opening up a small little cafe, building up the cafe and then selling it off or leasing the business back??

is that a good way to earn a bit of money aswell as gaining rental income later on??

we thought if we worked in the cafe we can make some cash and then turn it into a pos property aswell..

tony

-aumeow

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Hi Tony,
    My ex and I owned a take away food shop/cafe several years ago, and let me tell you it was b….. hard work.

We opened at 6a.m. and closed around 7p.m. six days a week. Sundays we did the book work. All this work and we only just made a profit. It was in a good location (main street)in an inner suburb of a capital city.

I hope this doesn’t damage your dreams, I just want you to be aware of how difficult it may be. Also statistics are not good… 80% of small business fail in the first 2 yrs. It can be a very expensive exercise… please be careful.

If you are dead set keen perhaps you could do a small business course before you set up. The Aust Tax Office requires you to keep acurate records and send them B.A.S. statements etc. You will need an ABN (Australian Business Number), and if you are in a partnership, a partnership agreement is recommended. You should also do a business plan before you start… projected income, competitors, establishment costs for plant & machinery, strengths & weaknesses etc etc.

I think it would be a good idea if you could talk to people already in this type of business, and get their thoughts/advice. Ask them lots of questions. If they wont help, go to the next one.

Once you have all this information you will be able to judge whether it is a good idea or not.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sounds like a good idea. Brad Sugars talks about this sort of stuff in his books.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.