All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Tax Deductible Notebook/Laptop

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of bwendanbwendan
    Participant
    @bwendan

Ive decided to get a new computer, but my dad (im 16) says that its better to get a laptop because its tax deductible. He works as a chemical engineer, earning abt $85k a year. How do these tax deductions work? What exactly can he claim?

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

YOu can pretty much claim a notebook each year from my understanding.

Either by salary sacrafice or a tax deduction. He is correct as it is more of a saving then if you bought a standard PC.

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

You could even get real cheeky and agree to a notebook if he pays you what the net tax deduction is. Kind of an incentive for him to bribe you to accept.
    [biggrin]
    [biggrin]
    Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

By my understanding, if the company buys the laptop for him, or reimburses him for it, then it’s from pre-tax dollars as laptops are exempt from FBT, even if used for private use. So as a salary sacrifice he would only be sacrificing the cost of the laptop itself from his gross salary, not the cost + tax (income tax I mean, not GST).

If he’s unsure of the details, he should speak to his accountant or company accountant (sorry, financial controller [:D]).

GP

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You’re getting the computer, but dad is claiming it? You’re only 16 – and learning fast!

Yes I have heard the same thing. You can get a double deduction. The company buys it for the employee and claims it, the employee can also claim it – depreciating it over 5 years or so. This results in getting it for nearly nothing!!! It only works for certain things which are GST exempt such as laptops and mobiles.

I think there is something about this in “trust magic”.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig
    Originally posted by terryw:

It only works for certain things which are GST exempt

FBT exempt.

GP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.