All Topics / General Property / SEACHANGE EFFECT

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of 50mill50mill
    Participant
    @50mill

GDay team,
    Im aware of the ‘sea change’ phenomina currently occurring/in the baby stages. But could someone please tell me what the next stage of this movement will be.
    I find it interesting to watch the BB’s and where they might move to next. This could happen as coastal areas become too expensive/unattainable. So where could their next likely alternative be??
    [comp][comp][comp]

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi there,
    Surprisingly, and according to a recent government study (Canberra), this is the profile of typical person/s seeking seachange.

Age – 35-45
    High income earners
    1, 2 children

Reason for seachange –
    Downgrading, selling assets to reduce working hours to spend more time with family.

Also stated they do miss the money (no kidding), but prefer lifestyle.

They predict county/bush next………

As far as WA goes, I would guess probably York, Toodjay/Avon, Bridgetown. What do you guys think?

Be interesting to receive comments on this.

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

I agree with your ideas, I’d also add Manjimup.

PK

Profile photo of g1g1
    Participant
    @g1

Yes, I think the term for the new direction of property growth is ‘greenchange’.

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Also heard on the radio recently that by 2026, 30% of the population will be living in 1 bedroom units/apartments.
    Don’t know the source.[blush2]
    Regards

Sharon

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I was reading about “Hillchange” in the weekend paper.

Seems to be people moving inland to country towns.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Interest Free Home Loan Agent
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Please email me rather than using the PM service here.

Fully Accredited With Derivex LTD and IFHL PTY LTD

***Ask about our Interest Free Home Loan***

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

loanwolf- Bernald Salt, demographer, interviewed on ABC- ok, a year and a half ago, but possibly still relevant (although albury/wodonga wouldn’t be my chosen destination for an inland change…)

Property “Sea Change” to Inland Australia

Presenter: Neil Meaney

Monday, 19 May  2003

Bernard Salt is Author of the book The Big Shift and a partner at KPMG Property based in Melbourne. Bernard agrees that the so-called “Sea Change” where people move from the city to coastal regions maybe drawing to an end.

And Bernard agrees that an increased amount of people are now looking for investment opportunities in inland Australia.
    He says people are now showing a keen interest in inland cities such as Albury-Wodonga and Echuca-Moama. “People find that they can’t get a property at a suitable price within striking distance of Melbourne or Sydney – and they’re looking for other options”.

Bernard says he expects the new shift towards inland Australia to continue for another “seven to eight years” and he confirmed to Neil Meaney that a new edition of The Big Shift will be coming out in a months time.

http://www.abc.net.au/goulburnmurray/stories/s858201.htm

loanwolf, if you haven’t already, get your hands on a copy of Salt’s book- it’s very good.

PK- not sure about manji as the next big seachange area- I think it’s still a bit rednecky- despite logging changes- but the population is stable, at least, so it might be in with a chance.

kay henry

Profile photo of cmcm
    Participant
    @cm

Hi Loanwolf,
    I live in Port Macquarie on the NSW north coast. Port Mac has been quoted in recent times in major newspapers and investment magazines as “Port Macquarie”SEACHANGE”, the fastest growth area in NSW”. Residential property in this area has had capital gains of up to 142% in the 2003 / 2004 period and although slowed is still showing growth now.New penthouse top floor units on beachfront are selling for 1.2 million.
    Rental returns have dropped dramatically with the boom in prices but the gems are just inland in small rural towns 30 to 45 minutes drive from the coast. I agree, from what is being experienced here that a “GREENCHANGE” is coming as prices on the coastal strip get out of the average persons reach.The local council here is already doing upgrades to the services to these small towns to compensate for the intended long term growth in population. Baby Boomers from Western Sydney are starting already to move to these areas as the coast is now to expensive but these towns are just 30 mins from the beach and a lot cheaper to buy.
    BRING IT ON! I’m gett”n ready.
    cm.

cm

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly
    Originally posted by Marisa:
    Age – 35-45
    Yep, I’m in that range [blush2]
    High income earners
    Was (past tense) although still there (passive tense) [tongue]
    1, 2 children
    Yep, got 2 of those, one still at home (give me a few years, I’m working on it)!! [whistle]

Reason for wanting seachange –
    The beach, sun [sunny]sand and surf……yipppeeeee [thumbsupanim]
    Reason for no seachange right now –Youngest still at school!!! [whistle]

Once my girl finishes school, and moves out, I’m there!!! And everywhere else that I can be without having to return home because of school terms and/or hubby’s work commitments!!!

Bring it on sunshine!!! [sunny]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Loanwolf,

Yes, I can agree with the profile from Marisa…

It fits us almost to a tee!!!

We are leaving our large farming business in Vic and have bought a Queenslander 500 metres from the beach, to beat the stress etc….

We have 2 kids aged 6 and 7. We aren’t waiting until they leave school, because by then they may not want to leave their friends….

We shift this December.[biggrin]
    It will be a LONG year![confused2]

Regards,
    Del

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

if you consider seachanging interestingly there are huge savings to be had just by living on the outskirts of the coastal town. ie if you want right on the beach you will pay twice as much as a house with a rural outlook. not bad when you consider you are still only a 5 minute drive from the sand and surf….

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

Instead of seachange, greenchange or even hillchange maybe the next big thing will be ‘no change’

2 VERSIONS OF THIS

No change 1 – as in cheaper to stay put and get a reverse mortgage

No change 2 – as in market drops, interest rates rise and i dont have ‘no change’ to buy my cafe latte!!

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

A article in today’s AFR (4/2/2005), titled Changing Coastal Landscape, referenced a BIS Shrapnel report that indicated that holiday-home ownership would grow steadily over the next 5 years, and that three-quarters of those would be located in coastal towns.

The greatest increase will be in NSW, at ~ 3500 additional owners per year, QLD at 3300, Vic 2700 & WA 1400.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

A useful link to add to your favourites and check periodically for valuable snippets of information, try:

http://www.iproperty.com.au/Content/Content.aspx?TopicId=3748

With respect to this thread, scroll down the page to the following articles entitled:

Sea Change May Lift Rates
    21st January 2005

Love Affair With Holiday Homes
    14th January 2005

Cheers,

Jo

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.