All Topics / Help Needed! / How to fire your property manager?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of BorisSBorisS
    Participant
    @boriss

Hi All,

Has anybody had experience with firing their property manager and taking over?

What are the steps involved?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Boris

“no pain, no gain!”

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

My understanding is that your new PM will do it for you i.e. fire the old one, or you can do what I did and just write them a letter to tell them that their services are no longer required from (date).

Before you choose a new PM I would suggest you interview them to make sure they will look after the property, and that they will see to it that the tenants do too.

Lots of other Q’s like: what are the management fees (fees vary from state to state), what will they do to find a tenant when it becomes vacant, how regularly do they inspect the property, will you be informed it the rent is in arrears, etc etc Ask them everything you can think of, even the obvious.
    Once you have made your choice, keep in touch with them maybe once a month to let them know you are a landlord who is interested (some aren’t believe it or not).

A gift at Christmas to show your appreciation (if they have been doing a good job)is a nice gesture and may also help to minimise your vacany rate.

If you want to take over the management of the property yourself, please be aware that this option can be the stuff nightmares are made of.
    IMO a good PM is worth her/his weight in gold.
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of BorisSBorisS
    Participant
    @boriss

Thank you Sharon.

It makes sense.

Boris

“no pain, no gain!”

Profile photo of Yasna SimonYasna Simon
    @yasna-simon

Hi Boris

Do you have a management agreement with your existing property manager? Somewhere it will set out the time frame for terminating the agreement. If there has been some serious breach, ie., they have stuffed up badly, then my advice would be to instigate the termination immediately and collect keys if you wish to manage yourself.

I agree with Sharon though, the various residential tenancies acts can be a minefield and you can come quite unstuck!! Identifying a great property manager is essential.

Good luck[whip]

Yasna & Simon

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

Despite what many agreements with PM’s say, they cannot hold you to an agreement that is longer than 60 days.

If you are unhappy, choose a new PM and they will do it all for you. they will contact your currnet PM and do the transfer.

As Sharon says, ask lots of questions.

If you want to know some questions to ask have a look at this report:-
    http://www.rentingmelbourne.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?art_id=109

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.