All Topics / Opinionated! / I’m disappointed, Steve

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of cruisercruiser
    Participant
    @cruiser

I’m disappointed because I ordered your $1mil in one year bk, only to open it and find that you’ve dragged Jesus into your wealth creation scheme.
    People like you and me – people who are into “wealth creation” – are totally, totally at odds with what Jesus taught and how he lived. Remember, he was the one who extolled the virtues of poverty. Who told his Apostles to have nothing to do with money, to depend on other people for food and shelter. Remember what he said to the rich man who wanted so eagerly to know how to enter the kingdom of heaven? “Sell all you have, give it to the poor, and follow me.” Remember what he also said: “You cannot serve two masters.”

So fine, Steve. Promulgate your ideas about creating money-wealth. But don’t drag Jesus into this. Jesus is not into material wealth creation.

So when you say, “I give God the glory and honour for my success and thank Him for the blessings bestowed upon me,” you’ve got “Him” all wrong. You’re a modern-day Calvin, preaching that riches and success are a sign to the elect that they have God’s favour. Remember, many people get successful, apparently with God’s approval, even people like Hitler and bin Laden. Riches and success do not mean that God approves of you and what you’re doing. Remember Job. If God approves of you, you’re more likely to experience challenges and privations than material favours .

If you think you’ve had some private transformation through meeting Jesus, fine. But don’t tell us about it. Don’t put him into the front of your book as if he’s giving you his blessing. You go, sell everything you have, live like he did, and give everything to the poor, and then he might.

Cruiser

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Cruiser,
    I don’t in anyway, shape or form see one’s personal convictions being mutually exclusive to property! Steve has helped more of the needy as a result of his actions. I recall one part of the Bible stating ‘take the plank of wood out of your own eye before removing the splinter from another’ (or words to that effect). Anyway, I’m a Darwinist so have a thought for me! As an aetheist, I miss out on all the public holidays!!!! And if I am a Christian,…. then I forgive you!
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!
    ps Also, wasn’t Jesus a carpenter, by trade?

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Cruiser,

Hey look I profess to being an atheist and a contra investor (as per Mcknight) but I gotta say that’s a big call.

I mean to say you’ve written more here than Steve wrote in the 4 lines and a quote from the book of proverbs included in the acknowledgement.

Cheers

Derek
    [email protected]

Property investment advice and researched property in quality locations available.

@gatsby

Also, re: your comment on Jesus’ instructions to his disciples. Wasn’t there a mention to one of his disciples to “BUILD” a church? Man, talk about buying ‘off the plan!’ Maybe Jesus got it right cruiser? Capital growth, equity and last time I went to church, judging by the plate going around they are definetely POSITIVE CASHFLOW and have a very low vacancy rate (especially on Sundays!).
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of Just LearningJust Learning
    @just-learning

ignore it, it is the self rightous bible bashing rednecks that give christianity a bad name, willing to bet he is from qld or north shore sydney. Me – practising Catholic and proud of it, but this isnt a religon forum

@gatsby

…”Self righteous Bible bashing”,… “Me – practising Catholic and ‘PROUD’ of it”,………………. Contradiction????? Nah! No way! At least there was no reference to Buddha! Particulary when most people from “QLD” (?) and “Nth Shore Sydney” (?) resemble Buddha???
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Whilst I am not a religous person myself I respect the feelings and rights of those who are – in fact I often envy the comfort they receive from their faith.

I have edited this post because even though it seems to be meant tongue in cheek it has got to be considered offensive by some folks.

Cheers,

Simon

Mortgage Hunter

Profile photo of NobleoneNobleone
    @nobleone

I’m confused…

I didn’t realise that having faith in the teachings of Jesus and being wealthy through good, honest hard work were mutually incompatible and or mutually exclusive…

Please explain?

Nobleone. [blink]

“Making mistakes is just another another tool for learning.”

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Must admit that I frowned when I first read that small part of the book. Reading on, I noted that Steve pointed out it was his book and he could write anything he felt applicable which you have to respect. If you don’t like, drop the book and go back to whatever you were doing.

I will offer the following possibility which may be appropriate. Steve has not, nor is required to, disclose how or where he spends his wealth or time. For all anyone knows, he may be putting 90% into the plate on Sunday and reading scripture to orphans. If this or similar were the case, this discussion would end quite quickly.

Personally, I am against bible bashing and am not a Christian, but have your ducks lined up before before you judge someone else.

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

Cruiser,

Thanks for the post. I haven’t actually read Steve’s $1M in 1 year, but now I don’t think I will. I’m an aethiest through and through, and don’t understand why people need to invoke the name of their chosen supernatural beings in their business dealings. This is one of the main reasons I steer clear of a lot of the American real estate “preachers” out there, I really can’t stomach their style. Of course this is just a personal concern of mine.

I was getting pretty interested in John Burley and the Burley Bootcamp until I realised he dedicated a whole session of the course to some preacher guy to talk about correlations about personal abundance and spiritual abundance. What the??

Please, and I mean PLEASE, can I request all real estate gurus keep their religious orientation to themselves! I’m sure if I thanked Satan for all of my extensive personal success I would have a hell (no pun intended) of a lot of complaints thrown back at me. Not that I would, because I believe there is no correlation, but what difference is it then for someone to thank Jesus or Mohomad or Zeus or whatever…

Please don’t read this as a slight on any religion, I’m all in favour of freedom of religion. Its just a lot of us choose the no religion path and believe religion and business have absolutely nothing in common.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Profile photo of NobleoneNobleone
    @nobleone

Well said Michael…

I think the mods should lock this thread now as it has bugger all to do with investing.

Nobleone.[biggrin]

“Making mistakes is just another another tool for learning.”

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

Nobleone,

I agree, close the thread as it has nothing to do with investing. I thought long and hard before even posting a reply since quite a few of the people I hold in high regard in this forum are clearly of a religious bent. I didn’t want to get these people off-side in anyway as I respect them a lot. I hope I haven’t, but thought it important to raise the counter-point view that religion and business, like oil and water, don’t mix.

Each to their own…

Michael.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

I’m sorry if my personal declaration of faith has been misinterpreted.

The quote you mention is on the acknowledgement’s page as I wanted to give God the glory and to thank Jesus for saving me.

Nowhere in the bible does it say it is a sin to be wealthy. The parable of the rich young ruler says “if you want to be perfect…”.

Surely Jesus, knowing the heart of the person, would have known he’d be unable to do this, so two possible lessons that come out of it are:

> No one can be perfect before God in his/her own right. It is Jesus who intercedes for us and only through him can we been seen as ‘perfect’.

> Do not serve money – serve God!

Two other points to note:

* There are many references made in the gospel to people who fund Jesus’ ministry.

* Jesus came for one reason – to die for our sins. While we can try to be more like him, we cannot save ourselves through works.

A good passage, written by the Apostle Paul, that talks about the wealthy is 1 Timothy Ch 6:

17Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

As a final comment, I do NOT believe in the prosperity doctrine.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.