All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Changing the sunset clause

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of andymitchellandymitchell
    Participant
    @andymitchell

Hi,

I’m not happy about this one…we have been trying to get out of our OTP unit purchase for a while now, and had resigned to the fact that the only way out is if the sunset clause was breached. This is 31 June 2005. I spoke to the project manager of the development, and he saus the completion date is now August 2005, but they can change the sunset clause by upto 3 months due to “unforseen circumstances” e.g. bad weather..

Is this true?? I thought we had a route out, but now it seems we are as stuck as we were previosuly. What is the point of a sunset clause!!??

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

You need to take your contract and talk to a lawyer. There could be a whole range of issues eg who determines if they are entitled to an extension, have they failed to do enough in good weather. This is all going to depend on the wording of not only your ‘sunset’ clause but also other parts of the contract. Other issues about quality of specifications etc might need to be considered.

You might need to instruct a solicitor experienced in building/construction disputes.

If you’re going to try and get out of the contract, and presumably the Vendor wants you to stick to it, there are going to be costs involved. You should consider doing a cost-benefit analysis to see whether the costs of trying to/getting out of the contract are cheaper than your presumaed loss on settling at the contract price.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I got out of an contract due to the sunset clause (in Vic) without any mention of a 3 month extension I think it owuld depend on what is in the contract.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.