All Topics / Help Needed! / Thoughts on Wolli Creek NSW

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of skippygirlskippygirl
    @skippygirl

Hi All,

Not being located in NSW, can I have your thoughts on prospects for Wolli Creek apartments in the short to medium term pls?

Do you think there is still too much new supply to be absorbed before rents and values rise? Anybody know general vacancy rates or yields for the area?

Thanks

Skippygirl [cap]

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

I’m not sure whether the reality of that area is quite living up to the ‘vision’ yet. I haven’t seen any marketing material for the development, but I can imagine it – people riding bikes in expansive parkland, families frolicking on the banks of the creek, that sort of thing. That creek is probably cleaner than it was, but the only thing that really differentiates it from an urban canal is the fact that it doesn’t have concrete sides.

The buildings look pretty good – there are a couple up and running. I’m not sure how many more are on the way up. They can be seen for miles, so the views would be pretty good. You’d be able to see Botany Bay and the airport to the east.

I’m not sure where residents go to shop – there would be nothing within walking distance. That’s what I partly mean when I say the area hasn’t quite caught up with the development yet. I’d say some people who paid for views may lose them down the track. There is a car yard to the east of the buildings that I’m sure will be built on one day.

Transport is okay because there is a rail line and station right there.

No idea what tenant prospects are like or what the yields are. I’d be very careful.

Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of SASA
    @sa

Hi, I live in sydney. While I can’t give you specific info on yields, rentals etc I can tell you abit about WC. WC is located about 15-20minutes by train from the Sydmey CBD and about 10 minutes from Syndey airport.

From a astetic point of view, the development that I have seen at WC is very poor. I wouldn’t rent or but myself, unless I had no choice. Also, WC is nested between Tempe and Arncliffe. In my opinion these aren’t the best places in Sydney.

I believe that on average unit rentals in sydney range from 250 – 300 for something ok. $300 is certainly not the top end of the spectrum. Yields in Sydney are extremely low due to the high cost of property. My view is that property in Sydney is bought forcapital growth rather than rental returns.

Media reports also strongly indicate that the has been an oversupply of units in Sydney. I tend to agree with this assessment Having said that I recall recently seeing on the residex website that units have grown in value by a very small % [I think about 2% or so)in the last 12 months.

How long have you been a property investor?? How many{if any} cashflow positive properties have you found and over what period.??

Profile photo of loan ladyloan lady
    @loan-lady

Hi
    Wolli Creek is the last stretch of Urban bushland in Inner Sydney and the residents of Earlwood and surrounding areas have worked extremely hard to keep it alive and clean.
    The M5 east tunnel goes under the area to keep the bushland.
    Unfortunately the State Govt in it’s wisdom put an exhaust stack in the mouth of the valley. So Wolli Creek development overlooks the airport (pollution) and the exhaust stack even more toxic pollution.
    So it is not the area where I would choose health wise.
    As for shopping well there is NOWHERE close?

As for the values and rentals I have only hearsay no facts.

Good luck

Loan Lady

Profile photo of skippygirlskippygirl
    @skippygirl

Thanks everyone,

I am particularly interested in the comments about lack of shopping – I had been told that a shopping centre of sorts was being built over the top of Wolli Creek station i.e. supermarket/convenience, video stores, restaurants etc for the high income renters to pick up supplies on their way off the train to home.

Mmmm….

Cheers

skippygirl :)

Profile photo of gordonl4gordonl4
    @gordonl4

Wolli Creek is a brand new suburb one station away from Sydney Airport between Mascot and Rockdale. The area is zoned for massive redevelopment and there will be thousands of units in the area over the next 10 years. (Rockdale Council has recently approved plans for 2,000+ units so there will be a massive surplus stock in the area for the foreseeable future.(A future Darling Harbour/ Docklands scenario?) See Rockdale Council website. http://www.rockdale.nsw.gov.au
    Mortgage Insurers are currently looking at these areas with a view to reducing LVR’s. This is an early sign that you should not expect too much in short-term capital gains.
    Buyer beware

Les

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Coincidently, I went past the Wolli Creek development yesterday on the way home from the airport. There is another building going up – scaffolding up to four or five levels so far. I’m not sure how high this one is going to be, but there will be some people in the already completed blocks who will be losing their views. Buyers would have been aware of the projected towers, though. Of course, tenants may be a tad surprised.
    The ‘parkland setting’ hasn’t happened yet, but it will. I imagine there will be ‘rolling lawns’ to the creek banks. Not sure whether I’d be game to put my toe in the water, though.
    Skippygirl, no sign of any shopping centre on top of the station yet. Shops will inevitably appear in the vicinity – they would not have been given approval to develop without shops and other ‘neighbourhood’ facilities. There will eventually be a sizeable population that will sustain retail – probably a collection of garrish 7 elevens. I recall talk at one stage about an Ikea and some things like that going in that area. Not sure whether that’s still on the drawing board.
    As Gordon said, there is lots of development planned for that part of Sydney. Who knows whether they will be good investments long term. The broader area isn’t bad, but it sort of lacks a focal point e.g. the Darling Harbour/Jacksons Landing area has the harbour close by. I reckon short term, the yields would be dreadful.
    The amount of development in the Green Square/Alexandria/Zetland area is also staggering. This is closer to the CBD. I think these ‘created neighbourhoods’ take a while to bed down – they’re pretty contrived to start with.
    If I was looking for a unit to buy in Sydney, I’d look for one close to the water – either the harbour or a beach.
    Anyway, I’m rambling. They’re just my thoughs and I could be completely wrong – I’ve never really considered purchasing a Sydney apartment.
    Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of skippygirlskippygirl
    @skippygirl

Thanks Scott and everyone.

Really appreciate your comments.

Cheers
    skippygirl :)

Profile photo of curlyfryscurlyfrys
    Participant
    @curlyfrys

Yuck.. Wolli Creek is just that. A swampy marsh that smells. Knowing the type of culture of the area, it’s like mutton dressed up as lamb. Crime rate isn’t that fantastic either.

The people in the area can only afford suburban rental prices and these units are priced for inner city living? sum don’t add up.

However, there are great plans to have the area cleaned up and shops in place (not to mention a few more units, which are already blocking others peoples views). Once this happens the status of the area may lift and professionals may be interested in living in the area.

People do use the parklands (even in it’s current stinky state) Maybe you could use the ‘bad’ points to talk down the price or wait intil one comes up 2nd hand?

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi skippygirl
    did you end up investing there.
    there is currently about 800 with 2000 on the drawing board.
    if need be email me and can send a bit of info on the area if you want.

here to help
    If you want to get involved in some of the projects I’m involved in email to [email protected]
    currently looking for up front money at 15% p/a pm me if you wish

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.