Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of diamondcreations24053diamondcreations24053
    @diamondcreations24053

Should a property always be put in a trust name? We are purchasing a property that will be settled in March. At the moment it is in our personal names but we do have a family trust. Our accountant says that it wont make much difference but I am worried that eventually it will.We intend to hold onto it for about 5-10 years. This matter is quite urgent so I would appreciate any feedback to put me on the right track]

Profile photo of Mark UnwinMark Unwin
    Participant
    @markunwin

Hi DiamondCreations,

As a general rule, a trust is the best structure to purchase your investment property. However, this may not always be the case depending on your personal details and your future intentions with investing. It will also depend on whether the property is postive cashflow or negatively geared.

The issue you currently have is that you have signed a contract and you do not have a structure in place (The trust should exist at the time of entering the contract and the contract should have been signed ‘and or nominee’).

If you are just starting out in investing, there is no real harm in buying the first one in your personal names if you are trying to find your feet.

Cheers,

Mark Unwin

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Diamond

I think you mean you already have a trust in place, but just signed a contract in your own names?

I am not entirely sure myself, but in some states you should sign the contract as “name ATF XX family trust”. On the other hand, trusts are not legal entities, so the trustee just owns property in his/her name on behalf of the trust. This is noted on a minute by the trustees – and you can protect yourself furthre by putting a caveat on the title after settlement, noting this is a trust property.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.