All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Building / Pest Inspection – ‘no responsibility’

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of domcc1domcc1
    @domcc1

Hi there,

What can I do if I go for a Building and/or Pest Inspection and they slap a ‘no responsibility’ disclaimer on me?

Regards,

David.

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

Who slapped that on you?

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Profile photo of domcc1domcc1
    @domcc1

No one has, this is more of a hypothetical question. I’ve been lead to believe that this does happen and have seen people talk about this in some forum posts.

I was just wondering if it would be a case of just going to another inspection group (if not all of them do this), if there is some other way to negate this or if this is just ‘how it is’.

Profile photo of eesholeeeshole
    @eeshole

I think it’s pretty standard. Basically they just look around the place and poke a few things. They don’t really do anything intrusive (eg. they don’t take off the gyprock and look at what’s behind it) therefore there are a billion possible things that could be wrong that they wouldn’t know about. Therefore they have to slap on the no responsibility clause, or they’d get sued big time every time something was wrong that they didn’t report on. For a couple of hundred dollars, all you are really paying for is someone to do a cursory 15 minute walkthrough of the property.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

My builder spends 2 hours inspecting and another hour showing me everything followed up with a written report – for $250.

He uses that disclaimer – he would be stupid not to.

Find a builder recomended by someone you trust and accept that disclaimers are a part of life. Even surgeons use them these days.

Simon Macks
    Interest Free Home Loan Agent
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Please email me rather than using the PM service here.

Fully Accredited With Derivex LTD and IFHL PTY LTD

***Ask about our Interest Free Home Loan***

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Dom,

There was an article in one of last weekend’s papers that highlighted some issues associated with inspections and property purchases.

In a nutshell (and from a skim read memory) a couple bought a house in Mandurah (WA) and got all the necessary searches and inspections done.

After settlement and inhabitation some issues that came to the fore, and not revealed by any search/inspection included, non-approved carpport, telstra piping used for plumbing work, white ant, some poor workmanship and there were others.

The purchasers tried to get their ‘pound (or is that 454gm) of flesh’ from all and sundry including REA, conveyancer, inspector/s etc.

Sent letter to Department of Consumer affairs (we don’t deal with these matters) and then the small claims tribunal (sorry can’t help – your problem – everyone did their job).

So in the end depsite their best efforts the couple were left with some expenses they hadn’t budgetted for.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.