Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Profile photo of unannouncedunannounced
    @unannounced

Completely irrelivant, taking stabs in the dark here.

Im wondering if anyone here is a bit of a health freak and knows of a good Exercise/Health Forum around the place similar to Property Investing?

I’ve got a couple of questions about metabolism that I can’t really find through google.

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Not sure about forums but I studied health science and nutrition at uni (undergraduate level only). This included anatomy, physiology, metabolic biochemistry etc. I’ve spent the past 5 years or so as a full time mum so the brain is a bit rusty but what is it you wanted to know? I’ll see if I can remember… Or find a text book that does :)

Kind Regards,
    Sonja

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel
    Originally posted by unannounced:

Im wondering if anyone here is a bit of a health freak and knows of a good Exercise/Health Forum around the place similar to Property Investing?

I’ve got a couple of questions about metabolism that I can’t really find through google.

If there isn’t, I’ll start one. Let us know if you find any.

Cheers

PS I know the odd thing about metabolism. PM me I’ll help if I can.

@sonja

You could also try having a look around at http://www.nlm.nih.gov

Kind Regards,
    Sonja

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

If you are into training etc try this – http://www.hardgainer.com It is a forum for weight trainers and has a serious amount of information. The search feature is invaluable.

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi unannounced,
    I’m not aware of any websites however the above ones sound like they would be great. Feel free to pm me if you wish and let me know what your goals are if you like (ie. gain weight/muscle, lose weight/muscle, improve fitness, diet, etc?)
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of unannouncedunannounced
    @unannounced

The problem I am having is finding information specific to what my goals are.

As everyone knows, exercising on a regular basis throws off that sluggishness that you get when you dont, better sleep etc. I’ve been doing this for a several months now, but within the last couple of weeks I’ve really knocked things up a few notches doing much much higher intensity Interval training. Hard, very hard workouts, it takes a great will to push myself to finish.

What I’ve found twice within the last week is that I have had a day where I have basically had this amazing energy ‘buzz’ all day. Not only making me feel fantastic, but making me amazingly productive and focused.

It would appear that this may being caused by the the change in my workout. But i’ve not been able to find anything on really pushing up your energy levels. It’s all within the context of increasing muscle mass, reducing fat or professional training – of which are not my goals. Though, I guess it’s hard to scientifically measure how ‘good’ someone feels.

I’d be grateful if anyone could point me to some literature that focus on boosting energy levels to a much higher level during the day.

@sonja

OK now… it has been a while and research on this sort of topic is constantly being done. I can’t give you any references off the top of my head but try doing a search using Medline or CINAHL.

One of the subjects I studied was “Exercise, Health and Behaviour” and this was exactly the sort of stuff we looked at. As you mentioned regular exercise improves sleep quality. Other benifits are elevated mood (recommended and effective for those with depression), increased energy levels, and a whole host of other physical and psychological benefits. Without knowing your exact situation it is hard to say if the increased intensity of exercise is responsible for this increase in energy and alertness. It may simply be that many of these positive side effects take weeks or months of regular exercise for you to feel the true effect.

Don’t just take my word for it though. Use one of the search engines specific to this sort of research as there is plenty of info out there.

Good on you for taking up the exercise program. Statisticaly speaking, if you can stick to it for 6 months you will be likely to stick with it for life.

Kind Regards,
    Sonja

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by unannounced:

Drop me an email. My wife has a degree in PhysEd, A Masters in Biochemistry Research and is in 4th year Medicine atm. She will be happy to email you some answers to your questions if she can help.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Interest Free Home Loan Agent
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Please email me rather than using the PM service here.

Fully Accredited With Derivex LTD and IFHL PTY LTD

***Ask about our Interest Free Home Loan***

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

@unannounced

Thanks Sonya, I’ve been going on and off for about a year, 6 months on a regular basis. I already have a good level of health, and early 20’s.

I guess I could distill it down to a single question:

`Is there a workout that specifically focuses on improving energy?` – rather than just being an after thought.

If I wanted to look like Arnold in his Mr Olympia days, I could find volumes on what to eat, how to work out, etc etc. The same could be true for losing weight or becoming an athlete of some kind.

All I really want to do is improve my quality of life, not how I look.

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald

hi unannounced,

try http://www.freetrainers.com

they have an online forum with some very experienced trainers and fitness coaches, they also have a nutrition section…

hope this helps, the forum members are all friendly and knowlegable and should be able to answer any questions you have.

e x

just be sure to post in the right section, i put a question about womens free weights in the men’s cardio…oops![biggrin]

@unannounced

emcdonald, that looks like a great site, thankyou! [biggrin]

Profile photo of ShaunWShaunW
    @shaunw

Hi unannounced and all,
    try http://www.t-nation.com. It has all you ever never knew about health, nutrition and training. It is primarily devoted to anaerobic training – big lifting, but has informative sections on a wide range of issues. Beware tho, the site is usa based, and the majority of posters are young yanks (ie the political section is chocka full of uneducated opinion – it’s good to go for a stir tho!)
    In the last 2weeks of following one of their diet tips, I’ve lost just over 2kg’s of bodyfat, while maintaining my lean body mass.
    cheers,
    ShaunW

Profile photo of emcdonaldemcdonald
    @emcdonald

no worries unannounced[biggrin]

great site shaunw[biggrin]

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

hey ShaunW…

what was the “TIP” [biggrin]

As far as increasing energy levels..try caffeine, ephedrine and aspirin for GREAT energy boosts!! (Not really though..Illegal, dangerous and unavailable)Back to reality of exercise and diet, maybe keep a food diary and record your energy levels throughout the day..establish a “Baseline” thatyou can then play with.

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi unannounced ,

“Unquiet meals make ill digestions”
    -William Shakespeare, The Comedy of Errors.

At the risk of trying to second guess your specific goal (which is all I’m trying to do), I take it that your goal/s are not bodily goal orientated. Your goal is to stay at a constant mental peak level (?). If this is the case (and again, I’m just assuming this) then over a one day period on an ‘average diet’ (including with lets say lasagna as the main meal of the day), you will be taking in food that would mean that on an average day your body will be taking in about 6 pounds of water, over a 1/4 of a pound of fat and about a fifth of a pound of protein and about a pound of carbohydrates.
    Total: over seven pounds of food and water. This is then transported and broken down from the initial salivary glands, enzymes in the saliva, through the esophagus into the stomach (and broken down by hydrochloric acids), then on to the smaller intestine via the stomach’s pyloric valve, then on to the colon (large intestine) where it will take another 2 to 3 days to be passed out. What finally comes out in the end is less than half a pound of waste. Almost no fat, protein or carbohydrate is left, with the exception of the carbohydrate in indigestible fibre.
    By way of summary,
    there are so many variables involved, even before planning a diet/program that will help achieve your goals. Start with your current baseline/ metabolic rate (as mentioned previously) and find out how you can best define your goal and then work towards it. The hardest thing is trying to measure, let alone define the goal. I hope this has been of some help (if not confusion, my apologies?) to you.
    Kind regards,
    Gatsby.

“All’s well that ends well.”
    -William Shakespeare, All’s Well That Ends Well

Participant
    @redwing

I found that very intersting Gatsby..thanks

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

When I was young (last week) and went to the Gym, we often heard of “Gym Junkies”.

These were the aerobics junkies and weight training boffins that would spend their own time in the Gym with Gym friends, doing Gym, things, ‘Walking the Talk’, etc.
    After a year I turned into one of them! The energy boost you talk about – I have felt it! For me and the other junkies, it was the work-outs that boosted our energy! I remember being able to sleep for 4 hours a night and being more refreshed than I am now after nearly 8 hours! I must make more effort to go to the Gym again, Thanx for the wake-up call!

The secret, for me was to regularly ‘shock’ my body. Change the weights or the reps or the number of sets. Working 9 hrs a day going to the Gym at night and being so allert and awake is an awesome feeling – I miss it now, come to think of it…..

I, too, wanted to be like Arnold, but with-out all the drugs! All my muscle has since congregated around my waste (at least you know I’m on the level! – The bubble is in the middle! LOL).

Hope that helped.

Cheers

C@34

Participant
    @redwing

i hear ya calvin :)

I used to have a six-pack, now i’m going for a keg..:)

@unannounced

Calvin,
    How long did it take you to get that level of energy? While i’ve been doing for a while, i’ve only been doing it casually, not overly serious.

ShaunW,
    Great site, I found some interesting articles about a post-workout drink.

redwing,
    Good idea, it should help me find out what works. So far I’ve realised that a recent change in my workout has lowered my energy level [blink]. So I’ll be going back to what I was doing before.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.