All Topics / Creative Investing / Rooming houses

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

I need as much info as possible . Because my friend and I just bought a house that we want to convert into a rooming house and we no very little about them so your help would be great[drummer]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Whats a rooming house? A house where the rooms are rented separately?

I rented a room in a house like this while at uni, back then I didn’t know anything about real estate, but now when i think of it, the owner would have been making a fortune.

Some potential problems are sharing bills, electricity, phone (every one has mobiles these days so you don’t really need one), and cleaning. Maybe you can factor these into the rent, and get a cleaner in once a week?

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Terry Thanks I have thought of doing it this way to avoid conflict.

Cheers Rick
    [drummer]

Profile photo of dragonbladedragonblade
    @dragonblade

I have a 13 bedroom in house that I run as a student house where rooms are let individually. The biggest killer is the cost of insurance. Due to fires in hostels over the last couple of years insurance for this type of property has gone through the roof. For my place $560,000 building/contents and 5 million public liability costs almost $10,000 per year now. Also you will need to check with council regards fire regulations, etc

Cheers

Profile photo of ezy.home.loans23320ezy.home.loans23320
    @ezy.home.loans23320

from Ezy….
    I have a friend who has a share house,
    telestra put in a pay phone…and
    the owner put in a coke machine…
    as for the washing machine that was a pay as you go as well…
    the cost of electricity was factored into the rent
    hope this helps …EZY[buz2]

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Might be an idea to check with your local Council what their rules & regs are.
    Some Councils require you to be licenced if you have over 7 rooms (NSW). To comply with the licence requirements can be very expensive. Fire regulations concern them the most of course, but also things like the no. of bathrooms per rooms, kitchen facilities, common areas etc.
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Shaztaz & Ezy

Thank you for your in put

Cheers Rick[drummer]

Profile photo of patsypatsy
    @patsy

I have been trying to get more information about rooming houses as a friend of mine lived in one for a while. You need to be very careful of the type of people that you rent out to – there are many drug addicts, ex-cons etc..
    However, as I have been attempting to do the sums, it’s sounding like a really good idea – esp. for positive cash flow. Would like to hear your thoughts on that.
    I guess you just have to be careful with costs of electricity, gas, water etc.., set up firm house rules.
    Would love to hear how you are doing.

Patricia

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.