All Topics / Opinionated! / Hats off to Firefighters

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

Well we are on red alert here in the Perth Hills. Cars packed, ready to evacuate should it be necessary.

I’ve been able to watch 1st hand, albeit at a safe distance, what a wonderful job our firefighters do (many of whom are volunteers) all around the country.

Many thanks to those brave men & women.

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Hope everything works out okay for you.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Ditto both sentiments!!! [thumbsupanim]

As for firefighters, yep I fully agree; after working with one of Victoria’s fire services I know first hand the dedication and hard work these men and women put in, in the hope of saving life and property, and at the risk of their own lives!!! [angel]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

Thanks for the thoughts ladies. :-)

The fireys are doing a sterling job and have the fire contained ATM.

Three cheers for the fireys!!!!!

Wayne

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Ah Wayne, you must be close.

We’re in the hills too but further away and just been watching, waiting and had written a list of what to grab if we needed to.

I hope they catch the culprits, for those that hadn’t heard, the fire was deliberately lit and has been burning for 5 days now. The heat and wind have not helped. Firefighters have come from all over the state to help because it’s been so big and out of control.

Hope it stays contained and the winds are favourable tomorrow. Good Luck.

PK

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Bloody hell! I saw photos tonight on the news! I haven’t seen Perth that thick with smoke since CALM cocked up one of their “Controlled Burnoffs” years ago!

I’m glad we not there anymore! Mind you, there was a massive fire up our way last weekend that was right behind a mates house! A couple of houses from where we USED to live… Thankfully quite a few hundred metres form our house that settles on Friday…

YEs I agree. Hats off for firies! Oh volunteer firies too!

Steph.

Participant
    @purplekiss

Well, fire still contained, although Firefighters are concerned about the weekend as temps as expected to be hot and winds are expected to pick up, they are worried about fire jumping the containment lines as the front is 150km long. (I can’t even picture that!)

Yes, the smoke is unbelievable, we’ve been raining ash here at various times over the last few days.

THe firefighters have had a massive job, good on them.

PK

@waynel

PK,

A neighbor, was speaking to one of the chaps who had just come from the front line.

His comment- “Yeah, we have it contained …for the moment. Don’t unpack your car yet!” :-O

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Wayne,

We got called up from Albany on Monday afternoon and have spent the last four days either driving to Perth and back and/or spending two long days out on the fire ground.

The crews from others areas (like us) generally get the ‘grunt’ work so the locals can be released from mop up duties so their local knowledge of the area is put to better use.

Having spent a couple of days in the area I can say there were some extremely hot fires burning through the area. Some residents should consider themselves very lucky.

One house we ‘tidied up’ around was in a slight depression at the end of a track that wound in amongst some tall timber. All of the surrounding trees were burnt out but the house and surrounding 10m was untouched. No doubt some serious resources have been successfully thrown at the house in an effort to protect it.

This weekend (22 & 23 Jan) may become ‘interesting’ if the weather warms up with some wind behind it as predicted.

The people who aslo deserve some recognition are organisations such as The Salvos and the SES – who maintained a number of kitchens and driver services in the area over the duration of the fires. We were able to drop in at any time to get refreshed before heading back out to work.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Derek,

Thanks for being up here helping and for pointing out the groups involved as often we don’t realise what it takes to man a effort like this has been.

Well done to everyone involved.

PK

@waynel

Derek,

The community doesn’t often get a chance to show our appreciation for what you guys do.

Also never realised Salvos and SES were involved in an operation like this. Makes me wonder what able bodied men like me are doing sitting around while men and women like you put their lives on the line.

So please pass this on to your comrades…Thanks!

Cheers

Participant
    @purplekiss

Wayne,

How’s it going, we havne’t been raining ash for the last two days so hope that means things are settling and hopefully you can unpack the car soon.

Regards
    PK

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.