All Topics / General Property / Who Needs a Property Manager Anyway???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of PropertyPadowanPropertyPadowan
    @propertypadowan

Hi Everyone..
    Hoping for a little help.
    I am considering two options.

-Invest with my wife and have someone take care of stuff for us.. I just sign the papers….
    OR
    -Invest with my wife, run our own business on the side managing the properties we buy and watch our Empire grow.. (well that was the dream I had last night anyways)

Any clues on the issue??
    Cheers.
    Matt.

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Matt,

Yes it does get tempting at times, to think… hmmm I could save “X” amount every week by doing the management myself…

But then when you build up to having a few properties, or 10 or 20, you soon realise that your time is MUCH MORE VALUABLE than saving $10 or so dollars a week on mgmt.

Property Managers (good ones) pay for themselves 100 times over, when the s^%t hits the fan! They are qualified and experienced to deal with tenants problems day and night! (or middle of the night)…

Don’t get bogged down with the boring stuff. Spend your time searching for that next deal, and get your “business empire” as automated as you can make it from the start!

Good luck,

Del [biggrin]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I would never manager my properties either. I think i would find it too hard to put up the rent once you get to know the tenants – which you would, as they would be ringing you a fair bit.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Matt,

Focus your time on creating value. Don’t sweat on the small stuff.

I think you would soon come to the realisation if you were to have a few issues, that a PM is definitely worth having. In addition there is a requirement to have a solid knowledge of the relevant legislation. Sometimes, an inadvertant error can cost you.

On the whole, IMO, they are worth their money.

James

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

It is hard enough and time wasting when property is manage by PM. I will never manage property by myself because it will waste a lot of time just to get a simple quote ie. fix a/c ….etc.

I rather use my time looking for other opportunity

Kind Regards

JetDollars
    “The road of some-day lead to the town of nowhere”

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Just for what it is worth, I have owned investment propert/ies since I was about 19 (25 years ago) and have never paid to have them managed. I had a bad experience last year, but insurance looked after minor damage and I was out of pocket less than $1000 (excess plus bits and pieces).

I have sometimes asked agents to find tenants in exchange for one week’s rent, but they don’t ever bother because they know they will not be managing the rental. Twice, real estate agents have found me a tenant. One was fine but one was a prostitute who had done time. I prefer to find my own.

I think it comes down to what you know and feel comfortable with. I was 15 when my parents bought their first investment house, so I have grown up with it and feel very comfortable. I have helped renovate 26 houses but don’t feel comfortable being part of the sharemarket. Horses for courses.

What I am saying is that don’t be put off by doing it yourself, but if it becomes a hastle, an agent will gladly take over.

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Sorry, that should have read “hassle”.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Wylie,

I’m with you. Glad to hear some people have been doing it by themselves for a long time. Of course, I’ve spoken with many older people who have managing by themselves quite large portfoilio’s for donkeys – but aren’t computer literate so you seldom hear from them on forums such as this.

Seven years ago my wife and I arrived at a property we bought in pristine condition the year before to find it trashed. We received a report overseas the month before to say the property was excellent and the tenants were paying their rent and looking after the garden well.

When we inspected the house was trashed, the garden was extinct and there were 3 dead cars upturned on their roof in the front yard. 3 unemployed young guys using the house as a chop shop for $ 50-00 cars. The PM standing next to us was speechless. No comment was offered. The reports sent to us previously were obviously outright lies.

Anyway, enough of me whingeing, problem fixed by running the PM off.

At the end of the day there is only one person who is interested in your wealth.

Now that the wife is a PM – I know first hand how much attention owners get for their money. I’m staggered at how much faith most forumites have in their PM’s ??

Wish I could find one who even showed the remotest of interest…

Cheers,

Dazzling

“Go hard or go home”

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Matt
    They’re all correct actually, IMHO.
    I’ve been a PM and know they earn their money the hard way. I wouldn’t want to do the job again, and I wouldn’t want to manage my own properties either. But, I would suggest you use a PM for say the first year, learn all you can, then run it yourself for the second year, then hand it back to PM. The real estate knowledge hard earned on the steep learning curve will be well worth the drama you usually have to put up with. It will help you deal with PM’s ever after.
    good luck
    cheers [biggrin]
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of cruisercruiser
    Participant
    @cruiser

I think a bit of both is the best way. Get a PM – but monitor them. Know the law. Write breach notices yourself when you know tenants are behind.
    PMs often don’t understand the relevant legislation at all. They also often don’t do even the minimum inspections they’re supposed to, as Dazzling has recounted. I recently met a woman in exactly the same position as Dazzling found him/herself, she’s decided to go the PM in the Consumer Trader Tenancy Trib (NSW) Residential division to get her out of pocket costs back.
    I haven’t seen PMs work hard for their money.

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

It seems to me that the question of whether to use a property manager is very emotive, and depends on your own personal experiences.

Being in the service industry, and charging clients for my time, I appreciate the amount of running around that property managers do. To me, it’s a bargain. Imagine having to hire a personal assistant to run your investments. How much would you have to pay? $20,000 a year? $30,000?

Having a full time job, my property managers are a godsend. I had to get some grilles on one of my rentals fixed recently. With tenants moving in the next week. There was no way I could even find the time to call a bunch of companies to give me quotes, meet each of them at the property when THEY could make it there to let them in, then pick the right one, and meet those guys again to let them in to do the job.

Sure they don’t always do everything you want them to do. But do YOU do that yourself in your own job? Don’t sweat the small stuff, I say. The most important things are – finding a good tenant, and making sure that they pay on time. Sure there’re other headaches, like tenants trashing the place, etc. That’s what insurance is for. I don’t even worry about tenants burning the house down. Hey my insurance company will buy me a new house. And pay the rent for 13 weeks. That’ll be fun.

Like I said, different strokes and all that…

cheers
    elysium-m

DIY Residential Property Settlements in WA – the book coming soon! When I can get my act together…

Profile photo of jenwrenjenwren
    @jenwren

Hi Matt

We prefer to have PM’s as saves the hassle of having to worry about the day to day matters and we don’t have to have any direct tenant contact. If there’s a leaky tap or broken window etc we know the PM will take care of it with a couple of phone calls.

If you have lots of time up your sleeve, then you can try and give it a go. But you need to consider by doing it yourself, you’re building a relationship with the tenant – what do you do when things get sticky? Are you able to do what needs doing or would you feel guilty about increasing the rent or evicting them if they fall behind in their rent?

It all comes down to what type of person you are and whether you like dealing with conflict situations – if you don’t, then definitely get a PM!

Good luck!
    Jenny

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Well, I have 2 properties managed and 2 properties I manage myself.

As for the middle of the night calls, I have yet to receive one. Most tenants are asleep in the middle of the night and only come across the problem (whatever it may be) when they wake up in the morning, hence I get phone calls during the day.

Of the 2 that are managed, I chose to do this because of the distance they were from my own home. Having siad that, I spend as much time managing the PM’s of these two properties as I do managing the other two properties. One of them is listed with an agent who has had more PM’s than I’ve have tenants (5:1), so realisitcially, who would know that property best, I think it would be me. So much for due diligence on the first PM, who left within weeks of me signing up with that agency.

So what to do for the futre, I will probably do the saem, those that are too far awayf or me to manage effectivley I will hand over to a PM and those that are close enough I will do myself.

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest
    Originally posted by cruiser:

I think a bit of both is the best way. Get a PM – but monitor them. Know the law. Write breach notices yourself when you know tenants are behind.
    PMs often don’t understand the relevant legislation at all. They also often don’t do even the minimum inspections they’re supposed to, as Dazzling has recounted. I recently met a woman in exactly the same position as Dazzling found him/herself, she’s decided to go the PM in the Consumer Trader Tenancy Trib (NSW) Residential division to get her out of pocket costs back.
    I haven’t seen PMs work hard for their money.

Hey Cruiser
    Sorry you haven’t seen any PM’s work hard for their money, means you haven’t seen any good ones in action. But they’re out there, and having been a solo PM myself, I know the good ones are all underpaid considering the personal risk, flak, stress, level of responsibility, hours, skills required, knowledge required, hell – they deserve every lousy dollar they get. If it was easy, everyone would be managing their own properties.
    cheers [wink3]
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of MagnetMagnet
    @magnet

Hello

Perhaps my personal experience might assist – I started seriously investing in positive cashflow property about 14 months ago and I have completed 12 deals in that time. They have either been Lease Options and Wraps and the biggest (possibly the most painful) learning experience was dealing with the tenants of the Lease Option properties. I know what it can take to manage properties, particularly if the tenant is a troublesome one.

Comments about PMs having it easy at times might be true if the tenant is great, which most of mine have been. But if I had to do it again, I’d get a PM to take care of, at the very least, my troublesome tenants.

As has been correctly stated earlier, time is our most important commodity and in my case, I have spent more time during the last 3 months chasing up payments rather than growing my business and doing more deals.

Perhaps food for thought?

Regards,

Magnet

PS: Does anyone know a good property manager in the Cessnock / Hunter area of NSW?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.