All Topics / General Property / Building a new concrete pool

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

For years I have been saying that building a pool at home is a waste of money, that you never get your money back and that in case you sell, some potential buyers will be actually put off by the presence of a pool.[blink]

I don’t know where I got this ideas, and cannot confirm that they are even true, probably picked them up from a real estate agent who parroted what some other RE agent told him.

The funny thing is that my wife now really wants a pool, I went to the pool man and now… I would like one as well.

Is it really true that I will throw away 20k?
    Is there a crack somewhere in my previous reasoning? [confused2]

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Marc,

Try putting the cost of the new pool into perspective.

Does the value of the block of land easily support it or will it overcapitalise the property ?

Is your intent to stay in the house for the long term ?

Are there children coming into the picture who would also benefit from it greatly ?

Is ongoing maintenance of the pool going to cause any problems ?

From a one-dimensional focus of ‘investment return’ for your 20K, obviously it ain’t gonna set the world on fire, but then there’s other considerations that may outweigh the financial aspect of it….

Up to you – your call.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“Go hard or go home”

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

An ugly or cheap pool devalues a property. Also the costs of maintaining them put off some people. Those with young families may also be put off by drowning issues.

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

i’m concerned about what sort of pool you get for $20k – most quotes are for $40 – 60k, plus landscaping!!!

personally i’d buy a yacht – they are much more efficient at evaporating cash….he he

cheers

brahms
    mortgage broker
    [email protected]
    brisbane

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Thanks for your replies.

Dazzling:
    The property is worth some $500k.
    Intend to stay in the long term no, the pool will be just for our own comfort whilst we finish renovations and sell, some 2 years downthe track.
    Children at home and more children visiting all the time.
    Don’t see the maintenance of the pool as a problem.

Brahms:
    The price actualy includes landscaping but it is just a small 7×4 meters, there is no room for more, quote from blue haven. As for a boat, providing it does not have a sail…I’m all for it.

M.A.
    I agree ugly is out. Hate ‘cardboard’ above ground pools would never consider one. So you say that a house with a pool would have less chances to sell?
    That is the issue / opinion I am after.
    Who had a house with a pool and had difficulty selling it becasue of it or perhaps was it easier to sell because of it?

Marc

Profile photo of alfamickalfamick
    Participant
    @alfamick

Marc,

Consider a fibreglass pool too. As long as you have a standard size, they are a bit cheaper, much quicker to install, look great, and easier to clean, etc.

Mick

Profile photo of PeterOPeterO
    @petero

We just spent much of Sunday looking at a whole range of houses to renovate. ALL those we looked at on one area with a renovated price over about $450k had pools. However in other areas there were very few pools.

I would advise doing two things:
    1. Look around the area you are in and see what proportion of other similarly priced/size houses have pools;
    2. Talk to the local Realestate Sales people (Yes I know we think that you can tell if they are lying, just look to see if they are moving their mouth … but I have actually found them to be quite knowledgable about their chosen profession!)

On a personal level, we live in Brisbane and would not like to be without a pool!

PeterO

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Mick. Yes fibroglass is the next stop since I would like to extend my back decking around the pool and it is much easier with them.

Peter.
    Almost all the houses with similar prices around us have pools.

Marc

Profile photo of Nat RNat R
    @nat-r

We have a concrete pool with a salt water clorinator and a kreepy krawly…total time /cost per week to maintain is 2/5’s of bugger all.

As for $20k..beware…the cheapest $20k pool I have ever seen ended up costing $30k.

I do know two people who have recently dug up pools at places they have bought mainly because the pool was badly situtaed and got no sunlight = bloody cold all year.

We use ours a fair bit and love it…in fact it was teh reason we bought the house.

Profile photo of alfamickalfamick
    Participant
    @alfamick

Marc,

BTW, a fibreglass pool 9.2mx3.2m cost me $17k, including salt chlorinator etc. That’s excluding fence and surrounds, but $20k should do it easy.

I’ve found the fibreglass pool to warm up quickly. Also, the construction speed is great; kids were swimming 3 days after they started building.

Mick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.