All Topics / Help Needed! / possible issues later on?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

[baaa]
    Ok, here is an interesting situation that I would like suggestions or feedback on.

Our PPORR, which we are renovating at the moment, has a well down the back of the property. Yes a WELL!

Now the well isn’t the problem. I went to the council to get a copy of our plans to see if the well appears on it and if it is in fact a well. Anyway, there are no records at the council of our house even existing, appart from the lot number. Apparently there was this big “FIRE” at the council offices some years ago where lots of records were burnt. Thus, us thinking ours were in there too. (The house is 50 years old)

I am wondering though, if we were wanting to develop the area behind our house, what are the possible problems we might face with council seeing as there are no records of the house plans?

Will we have to pay for somone to come and draw up a set of plans of the house and the land surrounding? Anyone else had this problem?

Ho hum…
    Steph.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

Steph,

I’d think that if you wanted to develop the land at the back then you wouldn’t need detailed plans of the existing residence. You’d need a survey so that you could show the location of the residence on the block, but that’s about it. You’d need this for shadow diagrams and setbacks and the like, but unless you want to modify the existing residence then you shouldn’t need detailed plans of it.

If its architect designed then the architect should have a copy on file, and if its project/spec then maybe a set of standard plans could be sought from them anyway. Ours is architect designed and masterbuilt so we went back to the architect for modifications and he had the plans on file too.

Also, you’ll need to consider minimum lot sizes etc if you’re considering subdivision. We can’t subdivide our lot as its only 1500m2 (sounds big I know but a local council ruling says no smaller than 800m2 per block). We can however build a “Granny Mansion” if we so choose and are considering this for down the track.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Thanks Michael.
    Always a good source of info.

The “Architect” would be bloody hard to find considering it is 50 years old! They probably would be dead or retired by now! Someone has also suggested going to the Historical society as our area used to be Market Gardens. They may have more information.

Funny! All this came from wanting more information about a bloody well! GRRR…

Steph.

Profile photo of AbbyAbby
    Participant
    @abby

I read somewhere about some people who located a well on their property and because of its general historical significance, were not allowed to touch it in any way, including development.
    Don’t know if it is relevant to you, but thought I’d mention it in case it influences the way you make your enquiries.

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Thanks Abby.

That’s kinda why we are also looking into it. As much as I want to develop, I wouldn’t want to destroy something of historical significance.

As far as I can tell, there is no real history attached to it as the Water and Rivers people don’t even have records of it.

Still at square one!!
    Steph.

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi Scremin,

had the same issue here in sunny Port Hedland, except it was a cylone that blew the place to pieces. When we went to do some developing in the back yard (put in poles for a kiddy gym), the Shire not only made us do new site plans but also house plans.

‘Too bad so sad’ was their reply as we put up resistance. The only small victory for us was that we didn’t have to have an architect come out and do all the work, we got one of the parents in our day care centre to do it for us. He is a drafts person/ surveyor. I sent a bill along for the paper (photo copy charge) with the copies, hehehe – tiny victory, but small minds are amused by small things……

Cheers

C@34

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.