All Topics / Forum Frolic / Let’s celebrate Marital vows!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Oh, and Blondie, if a venue won’t cater for what you want, it isn’t worth the trouble. Find another place. Try getting out of Brisbane a little and see what’s around the outskirts. Maybe look for the caterer first then the venue, coz most people remember the food and not really the venue.

You have crap food, everyone remembers that!!!

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of pyneconepynecone
    @pynecone

Speaking of a venue. We are to marry next January on a beach, somewhere between NSW central coast & Forster. We need a beach house for a week but are not willing to pay the $3k – $10k that appears to be the going rate. Anyone have or know of a beach house (or one minute stroll from beach) that has great entertaining area and around the $1k mark? Thanks, Geoff.

Profile photo of Chris2004Chris2004
    Participant
    @chris2004

I agree that all the ‘Hullabaloo made about the ceremony & reception ruins the experience’. This is why myself and my husband decided to elope until the dam old relies found out! We ended up flying to Sydney & the parents meet us and got married with a simple ceremony with a celebrant overlooking the Sydney harbour bridge, totally amazing.

Even though at the moment I’m not talking to my husband (renovation dispute[angry2]), I would have to say that it is one of the most wholesome and magical experience to be married.

Don’t waste money on an expensive elaborate over the top wedding where half the people invited you truly don’t give a <edited> about (well that’s what mine would have been anyway), save your money and spend it on something that lasts more than just one day!

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4
    originally posted by Scremin:
    Paul and I were getting very upset that it wasn’t what we wanted, the caterers were being bastards and we just wanted it all to be over. So we cancelled it.
    Shocked everyone!

Hahaha, I love this! Well done. Our wedding cost $15K (but included flights from Hedland WA to Whitsunday Islands return, $4k personla loan, $2.5k Credit Cards – for fun & activities, the reception and our Honey-Moon). Mother-in-Law and my wife organised the whole thing, and like you, they had a terible time agreeing on anything!

Father-in-Law and myself dissapeared most of the time – booking venues and cars and being gofers. One day I had about a gut full (must have been my time of the lunar cycle!) and I told my wife, her parents and anybody else that was arguing with them about the wedding plans that I wasn’t doing it any more! I’ll go to Bali and they can hold the wedding with-out me.

The baker wanted $730 for the wedding cake and refused to do it the way my wife wanted it, so I barged into his shop and with the same diplomacy I used on the family I requested our depoosit back (he told me that I shouldn’t have wasted his time – usually I’m good natured, but….). I went to The Cheese Cake Shop and had them make three different sized Mudd Cakes frosted with Icing (muddcake, I luv mudcake!!) – told them it was for our Great-great grand mothers B’day party. One for each generation to be decorated by that generation and then stacked up for her. Got them for $100 cash, decorations $35 = total Wedding Cake $135 + $20 tip for decorator!

Would I do it again? With my wife, sure, but I’d get her to tell me what she wants and then I’d go out and get it for her. Something about big grumpy fellas that seems to work for me……

Comming up to our 9th aniversary. Wot is that? Wood?

“Don’t fall asleep on an argument!”

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

My partner is an event / function manager who’s pet name for brides is “Bridezillas”. Something to do with having a wedding party of 26 (bridesmaids and groomsmen), a couple a required Birds Of Paridise and showers of exotic rose petals while the speechs are on! I think she does tend to exagerate!

We are getting married in January on the beach with very close friends and family. Focus will be having a party and being with friends from all over the place! Will be very interested to see if my bride to be turns into a Bridezilla!

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Ha ha ha!! Calvin!! I was kinda like you. I rang the venue place that we had booked in Perth, told them politely where they could stick their venue.

Hubby left a message on parents answering machine wedding was cancelled, told my parents and then walked out. Basiclly we didn’t talk to anyone about it until we had sorted out what we exactly wanted and the beautiful thing was that my hubby was fully into making sure he got what he wanted too.

My brother was really blase with his wedding and let his wife run riot. 165 guests, $35-45K later… I thin you get the gist of it… His was 8 weeks before ours and it just confirmed how much we didn’t want that hooha crap!

I think the best mentality we had, was that we saw it as a party and not a wedding. That way we didn’t have false expectations and we just went with the flow. I forgot my hairpin thingys and my mum started panicking. I turned to her and said, “Mum, I really couldn’t give a toss about the hair pins. Don’t fret.” She immediately calmed down and there was no probs. Bridesmade dashed back and got them…

An unforgettable day…

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

Hi All,

Ours was really simple yet no compromise and absolutely perfect. We had the wedding on the beach, and our reception at home for around 50 friends and family.

Our house is split level and we could easily put 8 tables in our entertaining room and then deck it out to the gills. We had it professionally catered 6 courses with Moet enough for everyone. The whole wedding was about $5K all up I think?, and it was perfect. You should have seen the room with silk ribbons and candelabra and myriads of fresh flowers and pressed white linen etc etc. Kay was resplendent in off-white silk and I was rather dapper in a three piece tuxedo number. Of course we saved a motza by doing most of it ourselves. Wedding planners didn’t have the same flare that Kay has and she is far more capable than any of them appeared to be (my wife is amazing, and I mean AMAZING)…

Its nice to reminisce as today is our 1st Wedding Anniversary. I’ve splurged a bit and bought kay a pair of matching diamond earings (I know the 1st is supposed to be paper but what the heck), and booked dinner in a seafood restaurant at Manly.

Gee is that the time!! Better run, the bookings in about two hours time and I’ve got to get home and get ready then drive to Manly.

Love to you all, (I’ve got a lot of it to give around right now). [biggrin]

Cheers,
    Michael.

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Congratulations Michael and Kay! Well done on the 1st anniversary and the wedding sounded fantastic!Very much as we have in mind!

Congrats again!

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Time fly’s when you’re having fun,
    Tomorrow (Australia Day) My Darling Wife and I will be celebrating our 20th Wedding anniversary,

Three beautiful children and 20 glorious years later we are still very much in love as the day we were married,
    The recipe to our long and happy marriage is respect, love and communication, and most importantly keeping the in-laws at bay.

Congratulations and best wishes to all newlyweds for a long and happy marriage.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker
    Mobile Mortgage Market

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:0402483216
    Ph:1800 820 500
    VICTORIA

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Steven,
    Congratulations to you on your 20th wedding anniversary today!
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

[inlove][inlove]
    Gee, this thread really turning into a love fest!! I love it!!!

Congrats to all who have recently celebrated wedding anniversaries. Looks like we were in good company choosing January!!!

Steph.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

I’m starting to feel a lot of love here right now. (I’ll be back in 10 minutes,…I’m young, better make that 5!).
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

settle down tiger — see you in two

cheers

brahms
    CALL NOW…adults only (boys and girls ask mummy or dad first) ~~ 1900 hot broker ~~

Profile photo of Karl and RitaKarl and Rita
    @karl-and-rita
    Originally posted by Scremin:

Also the problem with so many people these days is they go LOOKING for their mate. If they just relaxed, enjoyed themselves and let others see them as their natural selves, that is more likely to attract the right person than to be on the prowl all the time. The type of person you think is right for you, more often enough isn’t. (Dashing young lawyer versus a tradesman, the hooha of the lawyer might last for a little while, but the down to earth nature of the tradesman might get you even more… I know mine did!)

Scremin,

Truer words have never been spoken (about relationships at least). I know people who actively go out looking for love to consistantly be disappointed. People should stop looking for what the EGO wants and let the heart and soul decide.

Karl

The only thing that limits us…is a limiting belief.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.