All Topics / Forum Frolic / Let’s celebrate Marital vows!

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

[blush2]
    In these times of sexual freedom and liberation (blah blah blah) I felt the need to express my elation that my husband and I are cleebrating 3 years of marriage today! Yay!!

We have been together for 7 years and in that time we have had some very trying times. Some of them being within the three years of marriage. The point I think I am trying to make is that our relationship has come along with a lot of bloody hard work. But there isn’t a day going by that I don’t thank God (or that spiritual being whoever s/he may be…) for my husband and for who he is. He has helped make me who I am today.

Even if you aren’t married, or don’t believe in it (Your perogative), let’s celebrate alls happiness in a relationship and those who are still discovering themselves! (hee hee or others…)

Yay yay!![inlove]
    Steph.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

Steph,

Congratulations to you and Paul! Oh, and I promise I’m not stalking you on the forum. [biggrin] Its just, when you ride that “active topics” link and there’s not too many people on, you end up replying to the same people a fair bit for a while.

Anyway, my lovely wife Kay and I are celebrating our 1st anniversary next week too! I’m not sure what to do yet, any suggestions?

And does anyone know what the 1st anniversary present is supposed to be, is that one paper? I can’t remember them all…

I can feel a lot of Luuurrrve in the air!

Cheers,
    Michael.

Profile photo of timtamtimtam
    @timtam

aaawwww…. congrats to you both! marriage is such a lovely thing and it’s good to hear others happy too!

Hubby and I have just celebrated our first as well!

Michael.. the first ann. is paper.. you’re right! not quite sure what you could give as a gift though.. i got a teddy bear for ours. (perhaps he is stuffed with paper?).. but not just any teddy… this guys 2 meters high! he’s HUGE!

[biggrin]

Tam

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Congrats to you all!

We have surpassed the 7th year (for such young people – and NO 7 YEAR ITCH) and I can tell you with-out hesitation that the more hard work you put in, in the early stages, the better and the easier it gets!

Must have been the marital vows ….”…and do you, Sally realise that the only way to get out of this marriage is to die!….”, still gave me the ‘I Do’! I’m soooo lucky![wink2]

Keep it up, you wont regret it.

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Thanks all. It has been a hard journey and I am sure it will continue to be difficult, just as long as we remember to make time for each other.

Michael, that’s cool mate. I realise you’re on the same time I am. No worries.

Suggestions. Well, Paul and I made a pact that instead of buying each other something (that may in fact be rather meaningless due to the pressure…), we decided to do something nice for the other person. For example, I made Paul breakfast in bed this morning despite the fact he had to be at work at 7am. I was up at 5.30 preparing!

I am not so sure what he has planned for me, but we usually limit it to breakfast, dinner or ahem… I’ll leave that one to your imagination…

I love the fact that marriage is still well and truly alive and kicking out there! I thought it was nearly a lost cause there for a while. Actually, one of the best things we did before we were married, was to go to engaged encouter. It’s run by different religious groups, but essentially it focuses on you and your partners wishes and ideas for your future. You don’t end up spending much time with others and you really delve into your relationship.

IT opened our eyes to issues that we thought were ok, but really they were simmering quietly away… We felt ready to get married after that, with a clear mind that our partner knew where we wanted to go and what we wanted to do.

I would seriously recommend the course for anyone thinking about getting married, even if they weren’t religious!

Steph.

@scremin

Just an update from last night… NO it isn’t lewd or racey!

So the nice things we did for each other yesterday was I cooked Paul breakfast in bed, he gave me a top to toe massage. I fell asleep it was so good! Had a beaut night sleep too!

So just remember all you love birds, buying something becuase you’ve forgotten is the weakest excuse. Try doing something nice for your partner instead and see what rewards you get…

Steph.

@michael-whyte

Steph,

You’re right of course. The problem is that I AM one of the lazy ones. I keep promising my wife a little massage, but end up piking out when i get a bit tired.

I’ll need to lift my game a bit I think, I’m letting the team down.

Cheers,
    Michael.

@scremin

It’s just time Michael. Think of it this way, if you can’t make time for your wife now… how will you make time when you have children.

I have been told that the most balanced children are the ones whose parents display thier love and care for each other. But it takes time. I see it as an investment for a happier future.

Now, if only I could keep the house clean… Sigh… Can’t win them all…
    Steph.

Profile photo of blondie_becblondie_bec
    Participant
    @blondie_bec

Congrats to you all!

My partner proposed to me last night!!!! So today I can’t stop gawking at the sparklies around my finger or wipe the stupid grin off my face!!![blush2]

Definitely a lot of luuuuuuuuurvvvvvvvvveeeeee in the air…… or in the bedroom should I say![biggrin]

-Blondie

Profile photo of timtamtimtam
    @timtam

aaawwww. Blondie! WOW! Congrats to YOU! woohoo.. bet you’re just on a complete and utter ‘high’ at the moment hey? Enjoy your engagement … it’s a special time.. lots of attention coming your way! hahaha

Congrats again![inlove]

Tam

@michael-whyte

Blondie,

That’s fantastic! Congratulations, and welcome to the almost newly wed’s crowd.

You’re a lucky lass and he’s a lucky lad.

Someone once said…

Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution? [biggrin]

Put me down for one padded cell please…

Congrats again,
    Michael.

@scremin

Blondie…

Well done love! I remember the exact moment we got engaged coz I was about to ask him but he beat me by like 5 seconds! Plus we were in Rome and had just seen the Pope at VAtican City. A hell of a special day for us… Just you enjoy the moment. Don’t let anyone get you down either.

Steph.

Profile photo of Karl and RitaKarl and Rita
    @karl-and-rita

Hi guys,

Congrats to all…it’s great to see marriage kicking strong in a time where morals are not at their highest.

Rita and I just made the three month mark on the 8th. Been together 3 years now and survived a very rocky 18 months or so. But it just gets better the more you work at it.

The only thing that limits us…is a limiting belief.

Profile photo of padmaa23108padmaa23108
    @padmaa23108

Hi Everybody
    Congratulations to one and all. I would like to add that last June, we have celebrated 25years of marriage (I am not old, just got married early). We are at a stage now, that we don’t have to open our mouths before we both know exactly what the other is thinking. It is wonderful and life is beautiful. Marriage is give and take, more give than take. If we put the other person’s needs first, then really there are no troubles. Good luck toyou all and I am hoping to celebrate many more anniversaries to come with you all forumites.
    Padma

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I have a question about marriage…

Why is it that two people who are supposed to be in love have to go to a Government Department and fill out a form and pay a fee (marriage licence) so they can tell each other they want to be together forever?

I have issues about this. I would rather just the ceremony but then it would not be ‘legal’ although a de-facto has just as many rights after 6 months living with a partner as does a spouse. I believe marriage is dying out.

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Blondie,
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,……..! And also to everyone in a strong committed relationship. I was engaged 6 years ago. It’s sad but true that although she was beautiful in ‘every’ way I was just starting to think about wealth creation at that time for ourselves and for the future and that’s were we always argued. Rightly or wrongly, eventually I fell out of love and had to call it off. She was by no means a snob at all but I remember one conversation Julie and I had about money. She told me that she had to have her legs waxed. This was after realizing that although she earned a lot more than me (she managed a restaurant in St Kilda) I said what do you mean? She said she had to have her legs waxed in Toorak. I then suggested couldn’t she have them waxed in Boronia? Anyway there were other conflicting things as well. She was “HEAVILY” (and I do mean “HEAVILY”) into meditation and I WASN’T INTO NOT BEING ALIVE! Probably something I will always regret but it has to be right. For me I didn’t feel intellectually stimulated and I know I probably bored her and didn’t live up to a lifestyle that she was entitled to. I guess now it’s going to take a very special person,……..or a bunch of ‘average ones?’ She was though incredibly supportive but we were in the end just too different in so many ways.
    Cheers,
    and congrats to all,
    Gatsby.

Profile photo of Karl and RitaKarl and Rita
    @karl-and-rita
    Originally posted by The Mortgage Adviser:

I have a question about marriage…

Why is it that two people who are supposed to be in love have to go to a Government Department and fill out a form and pay a fee (marriage licence) so they can tell each other they want to be together forever?

I have issues about this. I would rather just the ceremony but then it would not be ‘legal’ although a de-facto has just as many rights after 6 months living with a partner as does a spouse. I believe marriage is dying out.

Mortgage Advisor,

Your point is mute, as it has always been the way to pay the government to register, although do don’t have to go anywhere. The celebrant or person conducting the marriage does that for you (or so it was in our case). This is just a formality anyway and absolutely nothing to do with two peoples love or commitment to each other.

The problem today, IMHO, is that fewer people are strong enough to make a relationship work. It’s too easy to quit just because it gets too damn hard. Personally, I feel bad for those people because they’ll find themselves older, still trying to find someone.

These days, no-one is willing to give themselves to another person. It’s all take take take.

That is part of my opinion.

Karl

The only thing that limits us…is a limiting belief.

@scremin

Karl, you hit the nail on the head!! That is why (I believe) so many relationships break down. THe idea of unconditional love is dying a little. YET, there are people out there who have realised to make someone else happy, effort is required.

I have to admit, the past week I haven’t made much of an effort so I need to make it up big time, but I fully believe marriage is alive and kicking.

My parents have been married in excess of 30 years, so has hubby’s parents. Most of our friends parents are still together after 30+ years too! You are what you surround yourself with.

Just like investing, you need to surround yourself with likeminded people. It broke my heart, but one of my best friends I just could not bring myself to invite to my wedding because she was so anti-men at that time in her life that I couldn’t cope with it. Sad, I know and I have felt like crap ever since, but I stand by my decision as it has so far been the happiest day of my life.

Also the problem with so many people these days is they go LOOKING for their mate. If they just relaxed, enjoyed themselves and let others see them as their natural selves, that is more likely to attract the right person than to be on the prowl all the time. The type of person you think is right for you, more often enough isn’t. (Dashing young lawyer versus a tradesman, the hooha of the lawyer might last for a little while, but the down to earth nature of the tradesman might get you even more… I know mine did!)

Steph.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I don’t think my point is mute at all. I think you missed my point. It was not about going out of your way to get the license, it was about having to get one at all!!!

Love is between two people, NOT the Government!

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

So don’t get married Rob. Express your love any way you feel as long as it isn’t illegal or doesn’t frighten the horses.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Interest Free Home Loan Agent
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Please email me rather than using the PM service here.

Fully Accredited With Derivex LTD and IFHL PTY LTD

***Ask about our Interest Free Home Loan***

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.