All Topics / Help Needed! / A shot in the dark leading to $4000

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of twinpeakstwinpeaks
    @twinpeaks

Hi there

4 months ago I took possession of a Dunedin student rental property that had been managed by the previous landlord. The previous landlord collected no details of the 4 overseas Chinese tenants living there. A week after possession, 3 of the 4 tenants absconded to go to study in Auckland and so far I have lost $4000+ in rent and bank repayments because the place cannot be re-let till early Feb 2005 as a student rental. One tenant remained but she left 3 weeks later and later contacted me through her university student adviser saying that the property manager had not been in touch and she was confused/scared living in a big 4 BR house and so she left. I have made contact with the student through the student adviser however the student adviser was not helpful in giving any details about the student (in fact she is taking the student’s side in all matters she organised the new homestay for the student (effectively persuading her to move out))

I recently made a trip to NZ to clean up after the tenants (it was a real mess!) and interview new property managers (the old ones just stuffed around). Earlier conversations with property managers had meant I had almost given up hope of recovering the $4000 + but fortunately I met someone who had taken down the registration plate of the the vehicle in the driveway. I recently found some bank statements and energy bill for the property. So in total I have:
    1) names
    2) bank statements
    3) energy bill
    4) car license plate
    5) cell phone number now disconnected
    6) landline phone bill
    7) offer of placement for Otago University
    8) Invoice from Otago University

What can I do with these details, do I have enough to hand over to a private investigator or a debt recovery company to find them? I understand that first and foremost in order to go through the tribunal I need a current address.

I have also considered less than ideal options:
    -Contacting the Chinese embassy with a complaint
    -Contacting the NZ embassy with a complaint
    -Contacting the university with a complaint

I am really low on funds and need to pay the bank 1000+ a month so I would appreciate
    1) honest and direct advice on what can be achieved.
    2) names of credit companies or private investigators who can assist
    3) the process of debt recovery in NZ
    [cigar]

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

Hi twinpeaks,

Sorry I can’t help out with an answer to your debt recovery question, but I have something else to ask you. You mention that the property is a “student rental property”. Does this mean that it is located on campus or something like that? Why can’t you rent it out to non-students? I’m sure there is a reason, one which you have probably thought about. I’m just curious…

Regards,
    Ozi

Profile photo of DaviddDavidd
    @davidd

Dear Twin Peaks,
    Based purely on Australian experience -in point form
    1. Not living in NZ is really the problem!
    2. Get A debt recovery agent in the students new location would be best but they’ll take their cut of the pie.
    4. The use of any legal means if like Oz could be real slow and not worth it but a phone call to the local NZ solicitor would not hurt or cost too much
    5. All other aspects would come under the “revenge” heading – worth doing once you’ve got the money! – especially contact a uni administrator in a more senior position than the original homestay supervisor and explain if homestays are to continue there must be goodwill with the community and if no satisfactory response (eg for them to make contact with the other tertiary institution and attempt to get the money from the students through that uni’s homestay/accommodation provider!)threaten bad publicity through the local and main daily paper in the area will make them take notice.
    Uni’s dont like bad PR
    Good Luck!
    Davidd

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Cut you losses and move on.

If you think $4,000 in back rent is a lot, wait to see how much you lose if you do not rent it out now and how much a private investigator or legal action will cost you.

This is why you should take a bond and jump on late payers!

The poster formally known as The Mortgage Adviser

When I grow up, I want to be a Storm Trooper!

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Cut your losses and move on. If you cannot afford the $4k – then I would look at selling.

You need a larger deposit, an income and more capital behind you.

In my view student accomodation is a hands on activity. You cannot do it from a different country.

Sell. Sell. Sell

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

There’s not much you can do. Did they sign a lease or some sort of agreement? If so, you maybe able to take legal action and then send details to the debt collectors. The debt collectors will want probably 20% and they also will need addresses. They cannot just look up car regos (how do you even know it was their car), police can’t even look up regos for a matter like this. So they will need to spend money on locating them, and will hit you for this.

There is not much use complain to the Chinese embassy (do you even know if they are Mainland Chinese Nationals) etc either, what can they do?

Put it down to experience, and move on.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.