All Topics / Help Needed! / Unmotivated Partner

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Profile photo of bj in brisbanebj in brisbane
    Participant
    @bj-in-brisbane
    Originally posted by natwayne28707:

My partner thinks that I am contributing to Steve McKnight’s and Robert Kiyosaki’s retirement funds by buying all of their books. I think that if we got rid of Foxtel my partner would be more motivated with property.

ROFL!!! Seems true. A friend of mine, said, why waste all the money on the books. Yet a $5k TV and Foxtel, is what he recently purchased. I beleive the books contain valuable information to educate my mind, these guys have gone out, and done what they say, and know what to do and what not to do, and in some cases it has taken them 10 years, and i can knock it over in a weekend… thats accelerated learning.

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Sam,

I’m hoping for some advice on whether to use the $23,000 I have saved to buy a place to live in or buy an investment property

I wouldn’t like to see your question get lost in here, as I reckon it means a lot to you. Can I suggest you retype this as a “New topic” so that the good people here can address your question on its merits?

Re Dazzling’s original post:-
    In my case, my wife instigated the purchase of our first IP. It went well, but we re-sold when Interest rates went to 17.5% (1989?). Later, (MUCH later) I became the “trend-setter” when I set about learning what I should have learned 30 years earlier. Today, we hold a lot more property, and the benefits are able to be seen by both, even though she “doesn’t understand the maths”. Most of the time, I keep this detail from her, so as not to confuse/alarm her. In the end, our net worth grows, and we find life is easier.

We celebrate our own “Independence Day” every year (the date when she wrote the cheque – at my insistence – that paid off our home) This was then re-borrowed to fund the deposits and costs of our first 3 IP’s.

She attends the occasional seminar, but doesn’t get what I do from them – but she is “giving me a go”, and I appreciate that. We now buy most properties with mutual input, and can discuss deals without getting too antsie….. but that wasn’t always the case. As others have said, time helps to even things out – little by little, things just seem to improve.

Since we are now both in our mid to late 50’s, I guess we’ve had a bit more time than most to understand each other (even tho this can be difficult for guys and gals!!! – some times she is just so weird….[biggrin])

Keep plugging away, Dazzling – if you both appreciate each other, it’ll all work out in the end,

Benny

Profile photo of KhalidaKhalida
    @khalida

Are these reasons true for you or for your wife?

I’d take her resistance as a signal which requires your attention; it could be that you need more information about investing or finanical independence. Once you are sold, it’s easy to sell it to your partner!

Just a thought!
    [cap]

Profile photo of kayleenkayleen
    @kayleen

Boy, can I relate to having an unmotivated partner!!! My husband took quite a few years to convince that investing in property was worthwhile. We began approx 4 years ago- just in time for the property boom. Unfortunately we approached property using negative gearing. After spending so long getting my husband motivated, I read Steve’s books. It took only a short time to convince him that we need to aim for a positive cashflow, so now we are selling EVERY INVESTMENT PROPERTY. I am very worried that he will be too cautious to reinvest. We will come out way in front from our investments after tax, and I am very keen to leave my current job so I can focus on full time investing, but… Here’s hoping.

Profile photo of rossmountrossmount
    @rossmount

Its so good to know I’m normal! Thanks everyone, I was getting down about having an unmotivated husband. He isn’t a reader and has no interest in broadening his horizons in this department. I have often wondered how much easier it would be to have apartner who is ‘there’ with me. The trouble is he will sign anything! He tends to think I’m an expert in property investing and takes my word on everything which is kind of daunting for me to hold all that responsibility! I could present contract after contract and he would sign them. The other issue is that I rely on him to do reno’s which requires a large amount of nagging and arguments to get anything done. We are at property number six and it really slows me down mentally into buying any more when I know whats in store trying to get him interested. He just doesn’t bring it up in conversation. I am fairly amused and silently gleeful however at dinner parties as he merrily tells our friends about our latest edition!!

Profile photo of SteveHordacreSteveHordacre
    @stevehordacre

Dazzling, I’m new to the forum but understand your situation perfectly. Experience has taught me, and sometimes I’ve not been a quick learner, that whenever my partner starts to talk as yours does she is actually letting me know that I’m focusing too much on something other than the relationship and the family. It is sometimes difficult to strike the balance, but if I don’t then she is pretty quick to let me know. Just a thought. Steve

Profile photo of oldgenieoldgenie
    @oldgenie

I have given up trying to start. My wife will not read anything I provide. There is no reason for her to read them because she knows it all, and at our stage in life “I don’t want to loose what we currently have”. Prefers to be debt free. Nothing else though

Profile photo of jkrzysztonjkrzyszton
    @jkrzyszton
    Originally posted by FW:

Grrr my ISP had a glitch and lost the really long answer I’d typed to this!
    [angry2]
    anyway, when I started out it’s fair to say hubby wasn’t keen. He was working ridiculous hours, and didn’t want to know. Initially I started doing some small share trades, and talking to him occasionally about it, but property was just too big a thing for him to contemplate. All he wanted was to pay off the house and no more borrowing.
    Anyway, one day he read Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. It didn’t change him over night, but it certainly opened his eyes to a lot of things. Finally I convinced him to let me buy a rental property. We’ve moved on from there.
    I have to say that even today a lot of what I do scares him, he’s not really comfortable with it all. But having said that, he took a package just over a year ago, spent last year studying full time in Children’s Ministry, and is now contemplating how best he can work to help primary school age kids at risk (and it doesn’t matter if it’s paid work or not).
    He’s still not entirely comfortable with what I do, and still has a tendency to be a negative nellie when I come up with ideas, but considering where he’s come from, I think it’s brilliant!!!
    I’m still the main investor, I still read the books and go to seminars by myself – I don’t know if that will ever change. His passion is helping kids, mine is investing. But at least he’s on the same page now. And he will bounce ideas around with me!
    And right from the beginning, even when he didn’t want to know, he still reluctantly supported me.
    So I guess what I’m saying is – take it one step at a time. It’s good to paint a rosy picture of the future, maybe even chuck in an incentive or two, but if you try to present the bigger picture right from the start in terms of how many houses you want, etc, you may just scare your partner so much that you’ll never get anywhere.
    I started with little share parcels, then options trading, then one rental house, then two rental houses, then wrap houses, and so it goes.
    The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step – take your wife one step at a time, and you may be surprised.
    But if she’s never interested in being your partner in investing, that’s okay too. All she really needs to do is not block you!

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

jkrzyszton

Profile photo of jkrzysztonjkrzyszton
    @jkrzyszton

Having a partner with differing ideas is frustrating and sometimes stressful. My partner wants to wait for capital gain and noting I’ve read or read to him or gotten him to consider will change this. He comes from a very conservative migrant background where everything had to be paid off ASAP to be safe. I’m trying to be accomodating but we’re coming to our mid fifties and I can see problems ahead, Yours in clever investing, winnie

jkrzyszton

Profile photo of litespeedlitespeed
    @litespeed

I feel for you as I have struggled with the same thing. I felt it very challenging to keep charging when I was the only one interested. What I found was you can’t change others but you can change yourself and through understanding my wife’s mindset I was, and am able to present opportunities in language she can appreciate and get exited about. The resources I used to gain this ability is a CD audio set called the magic of colors and it is available at http://www.clubrhino.com/products/item6.cfm

Profile photo of shereebeckershereebecker
    @shereebecker

Its great to see there are almost as many women trying to convince there boyfriends/husbands about property investing but end up doing it alone as there are men. My boyfriend got me my first Robert Kiyosaki book, which completely changed my mindset from climbing the corporate ladder to investing for the future. Now I easily walk past the shoes in the shop windows, but have a tough time dealing with his need to upsize his dingy fishing boat to a full blown boat and adding a rally car to his dirt bike and road bike, when we still only have one IP that I’ve done the leg work for. (admittedly he was great in helping me renovate it )

Sometimes its all about comfort zones, my boyfriend understands the theory and reasons, but just cant bite the bullet and do it. As much as I try to explain to him that he could buy any boat he wanted in the near future, he will probably always have this “fear” factor in him. I think somehow this may never change, but I’ll forgo the shoes and dresses for now and be thankful he’s as supportive as possible without sticking his neck out. Also being the more conservative of us two has prevented me from going down the wrong track early with the whole Henry Kaye biz. So sometimes a partner like this might be a blessing in disguise :)

Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster. My husband and I are very lucky. He is a CFP and explains the pros and cons of various strategies and then I do the research as I have more time. Then we get together, go through everything and make a decision based on what is best for our future. Having someone who not only supports but also complements what you do is ideal.

Profile photo of MITMIT
    Participant
    @millionaire-in-training

This is understandably a very difficult issue to tackle. When married, my husband was very risk averse and preferred to buy a Harley using JOB funds rather than buy another investment property. This is the same man who now is struggling with selling this one that is losing money DOH!!. Anyway I recall an investment audio tape telling me once that if the partner is disinterested, don’t talk to them about money, instead go and make the money and put it in your own bank account, then see how long they stay disinterested [biggrin]. Good Luck

MIT | Owen Real Estate
    Email Me

Profile photo of RattyRatty
    @ratty

Hi disillusioned.
    Dissinterest is not you problem.
    Fear and ignorance is.

Your partner is you most valuable asset treat her with the care a long term asset deserves.

Discuss the idea of earning enough from investment to not ‘have to’ work. Nothing works like success. Make some.
    Too good to be true is probably an idea that someone with less than you might have about your situation. This too is an idea that is too simple to be true for them.

Suggest you put up the payments on your mortgage to reduce the spare money and put further pressure on the spender. Pays your mortgage of sooner too.
    No money this week as it is all on our mortage. If partner objects try asking partner to save (ie permanently not spend) the same amount each month that you are paying to the bank as interest.
    Good idea to make concrete the profit the bank is making from you. I bet you quietly pay this expence too.

Try this one on your partner if you like a fight.
    Write your obituary now
    What would you wish people to say about you whey you die. Spent a lot of money in a frivolous and selfish manner. Chose to stay ignorant because it was easier, Perhaps not!
    What would you wish to have done before you hit pay dirt 6 feet under.
    Sound morbid but this is war.
    How much of your life time are you willing to spend in a mediocre way because of fear and ignorance.
    First try and put in words what you realy mean. What is it you are wanting. When are you wanting it. When you have this down, look from the partners position. What are you asking that person to give up. They will see it as loosing something they are comfortable with. (Spending 110% of income is not human nature it is just irresponsible) If you are not financially indipendant you can not afford the doodads. If you loose your means of income will the doodads keep you alive or eat you alive?
    Risk analysis puts strategies in place to keep you safe when the worst case happens. What are your strategies for surviving the crash?

Look for a carrot that the partner will value.
    If you can find one (more is better) you have an powerful negotiating and sales position. Find what they want and look for a way for them to let you give it to them.
    Don’t make the mistake (made it several times befor I learned) of telling them what you know. They have already told you they do not want to know. Do not get between them and a comfortable position unless you like a fight. Remember you loose this one when you win.(just hope this does not apply to this advice)

Try moddeling your strategy. Show them the concrete, real time thing. When I do this— I get this —-. This is how easy it can be.
    How much of this could you want?

Remember never give in and never give up. It is your life and it is serious. You are going to die from it so make it something you are willing to die for. Nothing else is enough.
    Practice making your language say what is really happening and what you really mean and what you really want and when you would like it. Partner will understand you better and you never know that person might like you better if you were more masterful with your self. Honesty pays dividends.
    Good luck favours the prepared and pasionate life.
    I hope you get more dissillusioned, think about it! If you are living in an illusion would you not want to wake up from it? You probably just feel uncomfortable loosing your comfortable position. Sound familiar?!
    Which will it be the red pill or the blue one.
    May you live in interesting times.
    Ratty

Profile photo of WildGraceWildGrace
    @wildgrace

Frustrating ~ I understand. My husband is closed, does not discuss money at all, and so all investments and property purchases are done by me with very little interaction.

Wish it wasn’t so but he goes into denial and retreats into public service mode whenever I try and approach the subject of investing.

I just get on with it…

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

Dazzling – mate,
    just read this post. Must be a near record for one topic.
    My wife is a carbon copy of yours.But worse. When I read out some of the member’s achievements, how many investment properties they have, my wife tells me that they are all lairs.
    How do you know that they are telling the truth?
    You prove to me that they’re not telling lies and I’ll start to read some of the posts.
    She then goes on to say, how do these people know that you’re not telling lies?
    You can’t win.

bruham.

Profile photo of debbraddebbrad
    Participant
    @debbrad

Dazzling,

you have probably resolved this issue by now as I see it was first posted a year ago. But in my relationship I am the one who hates spending money on, “dudades”, (Robert Kiyosaki’s term for plasma tvs and boats etc). Initially I was the one interested in property investing and found it hard talking about it to my partner. Then I sent him off to a seminar and he has never looked back. It is great as we have found a common goal. We both find time wise it is difficult with 2 kids to care for. I think if you volunteered to take the kids and give your wife some time to attend seminars and learning opportunities without you there you might find she comes along in leaps and bounds. Most women appreciate any time without kids and would do anything just to get it.
    Also sitting down together and doing some goal setting is helpful as it is can be surprising to hear exactly what your partner’s goals are. We assumed we were wanting the same things and going to achieve it in the same way but it wasn’t the case.

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi dazzling
    couple of things
    1. look like heaps of replys and for those partners that think that its all lies get them to come to the groups and meet the people that have got to where they are.
    2. I’m alittle bit different as we have made a purpose commitment that for legal reasons that she know nothing about the finer points of my business dealings as they are multipul groups of trusts and yes she knows where and what they are and if any problem she has control and that any problem comes down to my name that is not carrying in it own right any of our properties.
    so for us its a little easier I go to the meetings and she doesn’t I do the deals and once they are finalised she takes over the running of the end products and I move on to the next project,
    at all times she know the financial position of the group but does not know the internal negs until the project is finished and is not on any guarantees as my trusts feed thru to her section.
    all start deals are with me( and trust) and the other trust members and once complete she is added to my trust section and it flows thru.
    this way if a problem occurs me and only me are in the firing line
    and all my properties are secure as they are arm lenght from my dealings.
    you may look at this.
    my .002

here to help
    If you want to get involved in some of the projects I’m involved in email to [email protected]

Profile photo of voigtstrvoigtstr
    @voigtstr
    Originally posted by Julian2:

Even my Ferarri has her little foibles. I call them character traits. Mind you, if, no matter how much time and effort I put into her, I couldn’t get her fired up I think I’d be on the lookout for a Lambo.
    Julian2

Sounds a bit like my 2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans.. Italians can be high maintenance cant they…fix one thing and a fault develops somewhere else but they certainly have character. I went to the Lamboghini factory at the start of 2005, I would love to pay cash for an Espada or a Miura once I had enough passive income to justify it. (I’m still paying for the Moto Guzzi at 439 a month)

back to partners… I was keen to invest but girlfriend was keen to buy a house to live in first… so from the 22 of feb this year we have done that… the next thing for me is reducing personal debt.. eg paying down debts as quick as possible so that I would qualify for finance for IP’s

here is the link to my Lamborghini visit http://users.bigpond.net.au/voigtstr/lambovisitfeb2005/Museo.htm
    here is the link to my Moto Guzzi
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/voigtstr/tempbike.html

Profile photo of danandangdanandang
    @danandang

Dazzling

You are not alone. My wife wants nothing to do with investing in property. She wants to own the property and she used them for a bragging right one day against someone she didn’t really like who was giving her the <edited>s about them bragging about what they had.

She is extremely good at sreaming abuse from the side lines without really knowing what is going on in the game. And has absolutely no interest in gaining any extra knowledge about anything .

We are involved as joint tenants in all our real estate ownerships. so I need her sigs. to move ahead. But I tell her nothing of how much things cost, how much I borrow , how much rent we get and how much I spend fixing things, or body corps or rates or when the properties go up in value.

So that is how I deal with it . I tell her nothing.

The biggest down fall of this is when a property rises in value and the real estate agents calls you to tell you that today you are tens of thousands of dollars better of , you have no one to share that good experience with.

It definately is hard when your biggest detractor lives with you. Don’t let them discourage you.

Good luck……

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.