All Topics / Value Adding / Avoiding Capital Gains Tax

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of big_azzabig_azza
    Participant
    @big_azza

Hi, if I owned a property and plan to make several subdivisions, could I develop live in then sell one property each year and claim each property as my primary residence to avoid capital gains tax? If not, what is the best way to avoid capital gains tax?

Regards

Aaron Todhunter

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

Avoid is harsh word.

Your idea would work but that takes an awful long time to save some dollars. Wouldn’t it be wise to sell pay your tax and reinvest and move on.

Paying tax to me is a sure indication that you are making money.

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

I think the intention would be transparent and you would run into difficulties on this.Thats just my opinion, you may want to speak to an accountant. As Byronent said, you need to consider your opportunity cost as well. CGT is taxed favourably anyway. Best way to avoid CGT would be not to make a capital gain. Taxes and death….

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of big_azzabig_azza
    Participant
    @big_azza

The reason i thought of this idea is because I wouldnt have enough money to develop all sites (could be up to 20) at once but i can easily afford to do the first couple then use the money from them to pay for next lot. I got the block cheaply from my grandparents therefore I dont have much in bank repayments.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

well the CGT will only apply on the increase in value from when you subdivide the blocks, so you could so something like subdivide off a couple of small blocks and sell them… tax free, then live in your bigger one for a while unitl you get more cash to subdivide the lot?

with a project as big as 20 lots you should definitely get professional advice. if you own this land with little owing on it you should be able to easily get a development loan to do the subdivision in one hit – assuming the deal stacks up which you would want it to anyway.

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.