All Topics / General Property / Next Door Renters

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of gunner10gunner10
    @gunner10

Hi All,

Just wanted to throw the question out there if anyone has been in the situation where they have purchased a vacant house next door and then rented it. Can anyone share pros and cons of renting to your neighbours?

Thanks.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Why do it yourself?

I prefer to keep an arm’s length distance from my tenants. Any issues are solved by the PM intermediary.

Having them next door leaves yourself open to all sorts of ‘abuse’ – knock on the door at midnight – hot water is kaput, please fix – not for me.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I would probably do it but not let them know that I own the place. Leave it all with the Property Manager.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

I lived in the complex of four that i owned and the tenants didn’t know.

I would just let the PM know everytime something was happening that I didn’t like.

It worked quite well and kept my mind at ease….in the beginning.

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

Hi Gunner,
    We have 2 homes on the 1 block, we live in the back house and rent the front one. I still use a pm so I don’t have to deal with the rent. We have become friends over 2 years they have been there, they collect our mail when we are away and I do their lawn which was not in the lease. Sure if their is a problem they will tell me about it but on the other hand if they want to do something they will ask too, like painting or adding a garden at their cost. I suppose it depends on the tenant. We just put rent up $15pw no problem.
    Robo

Profile photo of CalderCalder
    Participant
    @calder

Hi Gunner10
    The question is how precious are you about your properties? I used to work with someone who bought a place around the corner from where they lived. The went past it all the time (just to check on it) and continually complained about what the tenants were/were not doing. My thoughts are, if you can distance yourself, it is fine, if not, don’t. Some people can, some can’t. Just remember, it is not YOUR home. Use a PM to avoid issues, and don’t let the tenents know you own. And good luck.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.