All Topics / Help Needed! / New and NEEEED help!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of DanandFiDanandFi
    @danandfi

Hi to all,

Well, have only just finished 0-130 Properties in 3.5 years and loved it, I have this burning desire now to go forth with all this info and buy buy buy, my partner and I are in a position where we have 2 properties at present. These properties are 1. the family home, and 2. the investment property (negatively geared).
    What we are considering doing is selling the Investment Property and useing the proceeds to fund the purchase or 2-3 Positive Cash Flow properties, we live in Darwin and at present there is a BOOM on here, as there is every where else in Australia and positive Cash Flow Properties are as rare and Rocking Horse….. well you know what I mean, I have a mate who is a property developer and he is of the opinion that the market will have a down turn in the next 12 months so sit on the money made and wait, What do people out there think of the idea and is there any sugestions for other cash flow properties and howto find them??
    Your comments would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Dan and Fi

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

There has not been a BOOM in NSW, VIC and other States for almost 12 months. The market is very flat and in decline.

In any case, you do not have to sell your investment property to use the equity to buy more if you can afford higher levels of debt.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of femaleage20femaleage20
    @femaleage20

i think you’ll find that the recent ‘home north’ buyers limit went from $180,000 to $240,000, in Alice this ment that any place worth $200,000-$220,000 is now worth $230,000-$240,000. It also meens home affordability is quite good in the NT.
    You need to get your mits on Steve’s newest book as it is much more up-dated (cheap at kmart). It’ll answer your ‘where are these + properties question’ but not in the way you think.
    Can I ask, is there anything you can do to your neg geared house or even your home to make it posative cashflow? if not perhaps selling would be the best option.
    Good Luck!

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Have a think about what sort of investor you wish to be.

A property trader or a buy and hold investor. I see myself as the second and will only realise any loss in a downturn by selling – I also believe that property will trend up in the medium term.

I personally would access the equity and buy more during any downturn. I suspect that i ten years time we will all lament it if we sold anything.

Just my opinion – not advice!

All the best for this glorious new year!

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Todays Hot Rate
    ***3 year fixed – 6.49%***

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If there is a boom on, why sell? You will probably make more money negatively gearing than with a cashflow positive place (unless it too is in a booming place!).

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of DanandFiDanandFi
    @danandfi

Hi All,
    Thanks for the input, thanks Femaleage20, you are right about Home North, it has infact gone up as much as you say. The new book, does it have a title????
    Robert, thank you for your comment I think you are right, I was going on the dvice of others and after some research there is infact a flat spot in the market at the moment, I am lead to believe that a downturn is on the way, it appears that property in Darwin is priced rediculously high at the moment and that cant last, I guess with the Train, more Defence peronell and the Gas Pipe line it was bound to happen, we have decided to sell the Neg geared Prop to try to captilize on the high prices at preent, with this in mind it will return us approx 50K after expences which we will put into 2 Positively Geared Prop’s in due course, 12months or so.
    Thanks to Simon, we will be buy and hold investors, I feel this is the right way to go for us. Selling this property is the brides idea as there is some history there for her that she would rather get rid of.
    Thanks all again.
    Dan and Fi

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

DanandFi,

he he, yeah for the title, just hover over the link in your own post… [biggrin]

Cheers,
    Michael.

Profile photo of cameron_sim25596cameron_sim25596
    Participant
    @cameron_sim25596

Hi DanandFi,

I feel you are probably making the right choice to unload the -ve cashflow property, especially if you can take the cash gain and turn it into 2 or more +ve cashflow properties.

I prefer a buy and hold strategy myself, but (from experience) I also know it does you little good to hold a property that is costing you money each week. In the hope that a property may eventually increase in value, you can actually decrease your borrowing capacity through -ve cashflow property.

The ideal to aim for I think is +ve cashflow immediately (your borrowing capacity may even increase by a bit) with some possibility for capital growth – maybe through a reno, or because the area is growing.

Cheers,
    Cameron [biggrin]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.