All Topics / Help Needed! / Becoming a Valuer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of jjisnowjjisnow
    @jjisnow

Hi all,
    I’ve recently placed an application to start a TAFE course in valuation which apparently allows me to become a Real Estate Agent and Valuer at the same time. Does anyone know how useful being a said valuer is to the art of real estate investment? It seems to me if there’s so much debate about what the value of a property is, adding value to a property, buying Undervalued property etc, then being a legally qualified person whom the banks can use to value a property has GOT to be useful right?

My aim is to have $60K (inflation adjusted) +ve cashflow within the next 4 years by some means – I haven’t worked this out as yet.

Regards,

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

It does not matter how much you know about valuing a property as the lenders will still use their own qualified valuers. You do not need any education in how to value a property to dispute a valuation. All you need to do is show comparable sales that support your case if there are any. A good valuer would have already looked at these.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of GroovaGroova
    @groova

Hi there jjisnow,

I am so new on this stie I am still removing the wrapping, but I saw your post. A friend of mine is a valuer and he has a massive property portfolio. It has absolutely helped him, so i see no reason why it wouldnt help you. I am interested in the same thing, have you got more info on the course?

Groova

Profile photo of jjisnowjjisnow
    @jjisnow

Dear Groova,
    It’s the TAFE course run thru OTEN, would your friend who is the valuer mind if I contacted him for an interview regarding property investment?

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Groova,

I don’t think being a valuer is responsible for your friend’s investments. The lenders will still value the property regardless.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of GroovaGroova
    @groova

Robert,

I wasn’t suggesting that he valued his portfolio himself. He definately has an upper hand though when it comes to the market that we works, just as you would when it come to the area you do most of your work in (that is if you focus in a certain geographic area as he does).

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

Groova,

I can tell you the same story, I have a nice portfolio and I am no valuer. I am sure many others can say the same story.

It has nothing to do with the valuer or his skills.

I have seen valuers come in wrong as we all make mistakes.

I had a property, valued by a bank at one figure, only too reject it and have it revalued by another PROFESSIONAL VALUER to come in 30% different.

If you know your stuff and know your area or even how to get the info you need then you too could do what he does.

JJ all I am saying is if you are doing this to help you with investments then don’t waste your time. If you are doing this to get a job with an agent then that is a different story. You can do it for a learning cycle in life. Don’t follow the misconception here that the valuer course will change something and unlock a key.

It is like saying if I became a real estate agent I would be more successful in investing. I know lots of agents that don’t even own one property let alone a portfolio. What does that tell you.

I could go as far as saying it is like saying you want to be a mortgage broker to get more finance. YOu could even stretch it further and become a solicitor or conveyancor while you are at it to save on your fees and costs. You have to draw the line.

Anyway, Sunday morning and I am already putting my two cents worth in. I should be scouring the property pages, so much too see, so little time.

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If your studying to be a RE agent, then you might as well become a valuer too. I think it merely depends on the subjects studies, not being any longer. You can then work as both or either, it may come in handy down the track.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of kiwiduvetkiwiduvet
    @kiwiduvet

as a quick note NZ to become a RE agent you just need to sit an exam, but too becpme a valuer you need a 3 year university course and then 3 years commercial experience, i did the course so have first hand knowledge, much more in depth in terms of building engineerign and the problems that may arise from poor or just older construction, your average RE agent wouldnt have a clue about all of this..

when the going gets weird the weird turn pro

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.