All Topics / General Property / Rent to sell

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of mim_robmim_rob
    @mim_rob

We have all heard about rent to purchase where the tenant secures an option to purchase at a later date.

Here is another way to look at it. Ive done this on two properties that I purchased on the same day.

If an agent suggests that the vendor would like to rent the property back from the new owner, ask to talk to the vendor.

I was looking at a property in Smithfield Plains (SA) that was on the market for 97k in 2003. The agent told me that the vendor would like to rent back the property. I spoke to the vendor and offered 82k with a 12 month lease and a further option of 12 months. The rental return potential for the property was $135 a week according to my research. I offered the first 12 month lease at 110/week and the second 12 months at 120/week. The vendor jumped at this suggestion. I sacrificed $2080 in rent and saved 15k. The vendor stayed in the property for 4 months before finding a new property and moving on.
    This property is now returning $155 / week

I had the rental agreement drawn up at $135 (so that the bond would be more), then added a rebate of 25/week.

This property is now returning $155 / week

Just something to remember when you are told that the vendor would like to rent back.

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

[specool][thumbsup2] well done mim_rob and welcome to forum!

Cheers
    PropertyGuRu [sultan]
    Mortgage Consultant
    [email protected]
    MSN ID: amitash, Yahoo Id: bornguru

NZ loan pre approval from OZ in 48 hours,Low Doc from 6.85%,Investment loan 95%+

Profile photo of abbeeabbee
    Participant
    @abbee

Hi mim_rob

I am also thinking about going to have a look at a property, which the owner wants to lease back, for his lifetime.

The property is on the market for $99,000 and according to the agent the owner wants to free up his finances and the rental return potential is $110 – 120 week.

How did you get to deal directly with the Vendor?

Would you be able to negotiate the same deal through the agent?

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

To get the owner’s name,

I would call the council and tell them you want to find the owner to discuss fencing or something.

They will give out details but no phone number.

If you go through the agent, you may get less chance of success as they will still have to pay agents fees on the reduced sale price.

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.