All Topics / Help Needed! / CBD Studio Appartments

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of abbeeabbee
    Participant
    @abbee

Hi All

I am wanting any opinions on Student Studio Appartments in the CBD of major cities.

A brief description – Self contained, fully furnished, designed specifically for uni students.

Cost from $95,000 possible rent $198+ a week.

Are there any concerns I should be aware of?

Any feedback welcome.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Check the floor size – anything less than 50sqm lenders get ‘touchy’ about and generally do <edit – insert ‘not> lend to 80%. As such there can be growth issues with these properties given they only appeal to the ‘niche’ investor market.

You will also need to check tenancy rates, sound proofing between rooms and whether or not the ‘possible’ rent is achievable.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping.

Profile photo of obiwanobiwan
    @obiwan

check what the market rent is. It is often inflated, particularly if there is a rental guarantee.

Profile photo of milzymilzy
    @milzy

At $95000 plus closing costs eg $10000 lets say worst case 8% interest, thus eg:20%dep plus the 10K closing costs: your min payment will be ball park $130 a week. Note students are a seaonal thing in some towns. So factor the average rental occupancy and not for a full 52 weeks. Then remember in many cases students can be the worst tenants, always penniless and sometimes even with a job still “just over broke” Vandalism or grafitti, noise pollution and parties. I was a student I know how terrible I was. I never paid the rent on time and if my landlord had 100 ways to catch me and ask for the rent I had a 101 of the best excuses why I was late or unable to pay that day.

Saying all this negative stuff, now I am a little older and an investor, I figured that I would investigate students as a potential for a lucrative gain. I know that in Singapore students have wealth greater than here in Aus especially when they are over here to study. I lived in Singapore for 5 years and I have friends that were students both here and there. Those Singaporean, Malaysian or Indonesian students that haver the opportunity to study overseas
    are quite capable of paying a years rent upfront.

It would be a good idea if you got their parents to stand garator for the rent and possibly to get them to pay well upfront because here in Aus the monthly rents are dirt cheap compared to rents there.

Your deal sounds great however make sure you have a good cash buffer for incase.

I hope this gives you a different perspective. Let us know how you go.
    Cheers
    Milzy

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Finance would be the major problem. As they say in the industry, this ones ‘hairy’. In fact it has at least two hairs, one being inner city, the otherone being size (yes size does matter). I imagine it would be well under 50 sqm in size.

If it is hard to finance, then it will be hard to sell. This will limit your capital growth.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.