All Topics / Site Problems / Feedback / Underlined words in posts

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

I was just wondering about the new “thing” on the site where certain words in posts are in green, underlined and open up to an info box when passed over.

Is this just my comp or is it the site?

Personally I don’t like it.

Cheers

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

It isn’t your computer it is the latest ‘gimmick’

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping.

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

I agree with Myydral, I find the new posts with highlighted words a little annoying to read.
    Cheers,
    Sue [blush2]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of JuliaJulia
    @julia

I particularly do not like the green words because it makes it look like I recommend the product. I think it is very unethical of Steve to edit my posts in such a way.

Julia Hartman
    [email protected]
    http://www.bantacs.com.au

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

there is one another big post about this thing :) lol

Cheers
    PropertyGuRu [sultan]
    Mortgage Consultant
    [email protected]
    MSN ID: amitash, Yahoo Id: bornguru

NZ loan pre approval from OZ in 48 hours,Low Doc from 6.85%,Investment loan 95%+

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

it doesn’t bother me, I don’t use my mouse to read, so green, pink blue I don’t really care. AS for info boxes, I don’t use my mouse to read as I said, so I don’t get them opening up on me

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Profile photo of OldtimerOldtimer
    Participant
    @oldtimer

I tend to agree with Julia & Myydral. I don’t like the auto underliner either.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

If you think of it as a re-make of a well known classic 60’s hit but replacing the lyrics “party” with “website” and “cry” with “advertise” you can almost hear Steve as he sings…..

[strum] “It’s my website and I’ll advertise if I want to” !!! [whistle]
    Personally I don’t care one way or the other.[blink] However, if I could make just ONE itsy bitsy suggestion….purple would be a much prettier colour option!!![biggrin]

Thanks Steve,[grin]

Jo

Profile photo of clintdbclintdb
    Participant
    @clintdb

Well said Jo [biggrin]

Whilst I too find the links a tad on the annoying side, it must be realised that web site maintenance doesn’t pay for itself.

However, perhaps some effort could be made towards making the links somewhat relevant.

That is, pick certain definite words as links, and use only those words.
    Recently someone wrote a post which included the word McDonalds. The “…cD…” was underlined as a link with a reference to Steve’s CD’s etc.

Now that is very annoying as it interrupts your attention towards the sentence to see bits of words highlighted.

There’s my million dollar’s worth [wiseguy]

Regards,
    Clint

Profile photo of clintdbclintdb
    Participant
    @clintdb

See what I mean? [confused]

Have a look at Toms Hardware Guide (tomshardware.com), they do an ok job of it.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Just don’t use any words that appear that way, like:
    book
    steve
    mcknight
    map
    sex
    etc

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Point taken… the idea is to balance advertising to recoup the cost of running the site with a non-invasive way of linking to products.

I’ll play around with the options in the new year and see if I can strike a more happy medium.

As for being unethical… the posts are not being edited, just certain words highlighted.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

@julia

Steve,
    The first time I read a post with the green words I assumed the person who wrote the post made the links. I do not want people assuming that with my post as it then appears that I endorse your products. Just as I’m sure you don’t want to be liable for anything I write in forum I don’t want to put my name to anything you are trying to sell.
    I am currently experimenting with miss spelling words to avoid this but it makes my posts hard to read and hard to write so I am considering nolonger contributing to your forum.
    Is there anyway you can remove the green words from all my previous posts or will I have to go back through and delete them?

Julia Hartman
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Julia,

The words are based on a template, and as such, should you feel so strongly as to want to remove them for fear of then being incorrectly perceived as an endorsement, then that would be the best course of action.

I will also make it a point in the near furture to change the terms and conditions of the site to indicate that the ‘green dashed underlining’ of words is not an endorsement but merely a form of indirect advertising. I will also add the word ‘advertisment’ to the top line of mouse over box so there is no misunderstanding.

I hope this is satisfactory.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Julia,

That is a bit over the top don’t you think?

When we post here and give advice and link to our websites or promote our contact details, as you also do, it would be considered by many that we are endorsed by PropertyInvesting.com when there are no challenges to what we are saying or doing.

These linking words are very common on the internet and the majority of people totally understand that it is the website owner who is marketing their business. If you incur loss or ever get sued over a linking word from one of your posts because someone thought you endorsed the product, send me the bill and I will pay it. It just won’t happen!

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a
    Originally posted by The Mortgage Adviser:

Julia,

That is a bit over the top don’t you think?

I agree 100% with Julia, I don’t think it’s over the top at all.

And the idea that you can choose from a “vocabulary minus advertising linking words” smacks a bit of newspeak from 1984. Doubleplusgood eh? Ok maybe that was a bit over the top :)

I like the site and don’t mind S t e v e making a buck out of it/or covering costs. I won’t be having my words borrowed for this end though.

I for one consider it invasive advertising.

“Write the wrongs that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on marble.” Arab proverb

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b
    Originally posted by WaySolid:

I like the site and don’t mind Steve making a buck out of it/or covering costs. I won’t be having my words borrowed for this end though.

WOW!

It is impressive that you don’t mind Steve making a buck. I am wondering – would you be here if you were not learning or benefiting somehow and “making a buck” yourself out of it?

The point you are missing is that only someone naive <edited> would think that you are endorsing a product because a computer program has picked up a catchword in one of your posts and underlined it.

Why make an issue out of NOTHING?

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Hi All,

Personally I don’t care either way about the advertising links. I’m having trouble working out why this thread is so popular, seriously.

When I first noticed them I found it interesting that Steve and Dave had decided to work on promoting that side of their business. I couldn’t help but to speculate as to why…. Is there a message here as to their thoughts on the real estate market at the moment? Or am I reading too much into it in my own kind of way?

Regards
    Sonja

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

I don’t see why only <edited> naive would think hyperlinks from a persons posts can be viewed as endorsement from them for something.

“I don’t like having my posts hyperlinked.” That’s really all there is to my point.

Bye.

“Write the wrongs that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on marble.” Arab proverb

@julia

Steve,
    Thanks for your reply but I don’t quiet understand. This template? How do I remove it from my posts? Please keep it simple my mind has nothing left after dealing with tax law. How do I remove the green words from my posts.

Julia

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.