All Topics / General Property / Help! -Highway Upgrade through front lawn…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of LizzyLizzy
    @lizzy

My mother has recently been informed by the RTA that there are 3 options for a highway upgrade. Two of these options traverse her land, with one coming within 100 metres of her quiet secluded house. Her and surrounding neighbours are able to put forward their cases for preferred options and are highlighting the environmental, zoning and social impact of each of the options. If anybody knows what sort of points are of the most importance to the RTA could you please help by sharing your knowledge! The RTA have already done some preliminary studies on who it is likely to affect and the varying factors, however we hope to highlight some more that they seem to have missed such as threatened species etc. However we hope that given some advice we might be able to steer our case in the right direction.[blink]

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Liz

Mortgage Lender

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Can you tell us the town so we can buy property there? A new highway usually increases property values substantially. Unfortunately, your mother might not be so lucky.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

0414 347 771
    [email protected]
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of LizzyLizzy
    @lizzy

Hi Rob,

She lives in Raleigh, near Urunga, which is near Coffs Harbour… North Coast… NSW…

At least because it runs through her land she will be compensated and not just get to look at it!

Liz

Mortgage Lender

@robbie-b

Is that part of the Pacific Highway / Freeway upgrade?

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.

Profile photo of milzymilzy
    @milzy

Lizzy, If there has been a study conducted by RTA regarding the highway/freeway issue, usually there would be relatively good compensation granted and regarding the land issue / endangered species/wildlife…most times they are quite good at restoring the land around where they have excavated. You could contact your local environmentalist to see if they know of any dangers that could loom from the road works.

Once in South Africs a man who owned a garage was offered money by the state to purchase his land so that a highway could be built. He refused to sell…the price offered increased and increased..but he refused to sell. Later the state just built a bridge over the garage and needless to say he lost a fortune in business during construction and after as a result of the bridge. I hope mum is being well taken care of.
    Best of Luck
    Milzy

@lizzy

It’s not really the compensation matter she is worried about, as the two most likely routes will be going over the land it will have to bought from her. I dont think there is an option to refuse either!

What we really need to do is get them to choose option b over option c as both cut into her land, with one going 100m from the house, and the other well away. The option close to the house will also destroy the homes of lots of natural wildlife, even threatened species. The option further away runs along a higher ridge with more hard dry scrubland not so condusive the wildlife that is unique or rare. I guess we are looking for ideas for how best to reason with them. We’ve put forward social, environmental and rural/residential impacts thus far, which are quite extensive and very real. Thanks Milzy will get her to contact the environmentalists – it is a rather green community up that way so I’m sure they will be aplenty.

Yes Rob, it is part of the pacific highway upgrade that is for sure. A nice four lane freeway, maybe next time you drive up there you’ll be able to wave to my mum from the road. I am sure she will provide you with a begrudging counter-wave.[bomb]

Liz

Mortgage Lender

@robbie-b

Don’t worry, I am sure they will be putting a huge wall alongside the highway to reduce noise levels. Imagine the great view (not to mention the shadows)! Better you than me.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

Call Greenpeace or World Wildlife Federation if they are killing of endangered species. Failing that, the Highway Act usually lets them do what they want.

Take the money, Take the money!!

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

@robbie-b

It is interesting that they waited until a nice big property downturn before attempting a property buyback.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

@lizzy

Thanks guys for all of your input.

Liz

Mortgage Lender

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.