All Topics / Creative Investing / Vendor Finance Association Kaput?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Robert. I think i gave you a copy of a NSW wrap contract about 6 months ago? Maybe it was someone else.

I also noted the following comment from the interview:
    “Rick…………I’m aware they are there but I’ve never been to one of Steve’s seminars”

I recall meeting Rick at Steve’s seminar in Sydney in approx 2001 or 2002.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of OldtimerOldtimer
    Participant
    @oldtimer

Yes, Rick was there. I sat next to him and his wife.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Terry, yes you did. Thank you very much for it. That is why I am so hesitant about paying for the wrap packs unless it is NSW specific information that I need.

So if Rick lies about something like that, what else does he lie about? Does that not indicate he is not a trustworthy guy?

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Robert

Rick is a very approachable guy. May I suggest that you take all the media reports about him with the “grain of salt” they deserve and give him a ring for a chat.

He is also someone who has helped a lot of people set up their own real estate investing businesses and a lot of us also frequent this forum because we also recognise Steve’s brilliance in this field.

IMHO it would be a great idea to move away from discussions about individuals and talk about how to save (or improve) the Vendor Finance Association.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

@robbie-b

Paul,

I was referring to a blatant lie by Rick. This goes to honesty and integrity.

A good way to save the VFA is to get someone in charge who is not a “spruiker”. You need your average every day mum or dad investor who is involved with vendor finance to be the figure-head. That way it will give it a more realistic look and feel.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Rick hasn’t been “in charge” of the VFA for nearly 2 years now. It was certainly a lot more active and involved as an association in that time. It did okay in the first year after he ceased his involvement, but since the second change of leadership it’s almost disappeared off the map. Hardly a ringing endorsement for the association being run by ordinary mums and dads….

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

@robbie-b

My mistake.

I am not a member so I was just throwing an idea into the pot as no-one else seems to be coming up with any ideas.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

Profile photo of MichaelGruberMichaelGruber
    @michaelgruber

Robert,

Could you please give us your definition of “spruiker”?

Having only recently completed my term as President of the VFA, I would like to know what you are implying about the time I have spent in charge of the VFA?

Regards
    Michael Gruber

@robbie-b

I am not implying anything about you Michael. I don’t even know who you are.

A “spruiker” is someone who promotes things like investment seminars etc. They would not be considered impartial for a role like the president of the VFA because their interest is financial – ie: to profit from their seminars by more people accepting ‘wraps’. Are you a “spruiker”?

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

Profile photo of MichaelGruberMichaelGruber
    @michaelgruber

Robert,

Now you will need to list the criteria of what defines an “average everyday mum and dad investor”.

Regards
    Michael Gruber

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Robert,

Please let me add my 2c here.

Michael Gruber served as President of the VFA, VERY WELL…. he was independant, and, tried his best to further the industry.

It’s only since Michael & Committee departed that things have gone off a cliff…

– To Michael – Can you please advise, why did you step down ??? I don’t know who it was that stepped in your shoes, but to put it bluntly THEY ARE BLOODY USELESS……..

You may know the cost of everything…. but what about the value ????

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Knowing of Michael Gruber I also follow Pelican’s lead in saying he has done fine service to the VFA and wrapers in general.

VFA has seemed to disappear.. I too wonder what has happened.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Michael may be many things to many people, but from my experience he is as far away from the evil face of wrapping as was the article in the SMH was accurate.

As for the VFA, in its current form it does seem to have run its course. I have remained at a distance, indeed passed over the presidency, due to a possible perceived lack of independence given that I sell a wrap product.

I did not have a lot to do with Michael in his time as president, but, based on previous encounters over the past five years, I suspect he discharged his obligations with distinction.

From where I stand, the slander on his name, given it was based on falsehoods, was most improper. Nothing short of a public apology is deserved, however, suspecting who is behind these dubious dealings, I won’t be holding my breath.

I live in hope that the unrighteous will, at the appointed time, be properly judged.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

@robbie-b
    Originally posted by MichaelGruber:

Robert,

Now you will need to list the criteria of what defines an “average everyday mum and dad investor”.

Regards
    Michael Gruber

Please buy a dictionary. I have better things to do. It is obvious what I mean!

Also, it seems you are taking something personally. I am not interested in getting into a personal debate with someone I know nothing about.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi All

I’d like to move away from personalities and start to through some ideas around re getting the Association going again.

I was at the last AGM and there was almost nobody there. Disappointing but probably understandable considering the size of OZ and difficulty in getting an Australia wide group together in one place.

I have no idea how this would work but would it be possible to have a number of State based associations (or branches of The Association) which organise their own State based activities.

These State based associations (or branches) would come together as necessary as a Federation to represent the industry on the “big” questions. I would suggest that each association (or branch) nominate a number of members of a Federation committee and that this committee work together ELECTRONICALLY on those “big” issues that need the full backing of the Federation. Hopefully the Federation could then have one AGM (or maybe AGM/conference) per year, rotating between States.

I realise all the above is very vague. No wonder, it’s straight off the top of my head :-) However, we can’t effect anything that’s happened in the past; we can only have an influence about what’s going to happen in the future. It will only take a handfull of positive people to rebuild or restart this Association so that we can make it an example of all the reputable wrappers out there.

Cheers, Paul

PS. Please feel free to “flesh out” and improve on the above “brain dump” :-)

Email Me | Phone Me

@robbie-b

All the largest National Associations have State based branches. This is an excellent idea as each branch can address State issues and all States can collectively address National issues. SA certainly needs a State based branch!

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Paul,

Some great ideas there…

I think we need to “re-launch” with the state bodies, linking to a figurehead federal committee…..

We need :

– New Website with new web address…..
    – New name ?
    – Implement Code of ethics which we worked so hard to produce
    – Get out there in the faces of the Fair Trading dept. AND the public
    – Publicly engage the Jenman’s of the world, and, by doing so, say to them, right, if it’s so bad, work with us to fix it….. if he won’t, then the world will know he’s not kosher…..
    – publicly available information packs explaining wraps etc
    – be in the position to respond rapidly to any negative / misinformed press…..

my 2c worth…..

You may know the cost of everything…. but what about the value ????

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

I’m sure there are a lot of ideas, but, at the risk of being a nay-sayer, who’s going to fund the $100,000+ needed to set up and staff this enterprise?

Sadly, problems will persist because it will be the minority (as it is now) who, not being interested in membership, would continue to give the industry a bad name with some questionable investing.

There is a solution out there… somewhere… perhaps the government could pass a law that requires people who do more than XX vendor finance deals per annum to be members, and to be a member you must adhere to the code of conduct etc.

Having said that… the UCCC exists to protect the rights of the borrower, so VF deals that comply are already perhaps appropriately regulated.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Participant
    @pauldobson

Rob, Pelican (?) & Steve

Thanks for the great feedback. I must admit the sound of all these committees does get me very scared :-) But I guess if we just let the status quo continue, it’s pretty well assured that the Association will fold and we could all end up with a bunch of onerous legislation in our laps that we had no input into.

There is no doubt that we don’t have the funds at the moment to setup and staff a permanent office but IMHO that’s a great goal for the future (much like the Mortgage Industry Association).

My suggestion at this early point would be for people in the various States to get a group of like minded people together and form an association (?). My apologies for not knowing the costs of incorporating an association. Hopefully it’s not too much. Keep it purely State based at the moment and work on building up interest by having regular monthly(?) information meetings with guest speakers.

If this is successful, at some point in the future, the State based groups can talk about some form of Federal committee. That is, keep it easy in the begining, build interest with valuable guest speakers and work on the “big picture” stuff as we get off our knees and start to “walk”.

Something like $20 per head to hear the speakers should cover costs and, of course, before and after the speakers we get to “plug” the State Association.

I’ve seen this idea of meetings with great speakers work exceptionally well for a group of John Burley, Keith Cunningham “people” on the Central Coast of NSW. Their last meeting was full to capacity.

I will be back in OZ at the end on Jan. and would love to get together with the NSW “stars” soon thereafter. Please email or PM me with suggestions for a location, time and place.

Cheers, Paul

PS. Other States – go for it. What’s the down side? If it all falls in a heap, we’ve had the opporunity to listen to some very interesting speakers!

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of manofactionmanofaction
    @manofaction

Hi Guys,

Interesting reading on this thread but I must say how very dissapointed I am in some of the comments made… especially as many were made out of ill informed assumptions and an obvious lack of knowing the full story ( facts ).

Why is it that when something of value is built, there are always some waiting in the shadows ever so willing to tear it down… but offering nothing to replace it?

The VFA never quite got the momentum it needed. Trying to organise it on a national scale, from a standing start, was always going to be a mighty effort for anybody to take on.

So to those who put considerable time and effort into it, I do salute you… what came was good and certainly was headed in the right direction.

What we now see is nobody volunteering their time, money and effort to take over the task. So doesnt that tell you a lot about the calibre of people who HAVE actually done something already!

Maybe the VFa has run it’s course… maybe it was a great idea that just didnt take off.

But then again, maybe it CAN be recontructed on a smaller, more local scale of informal events.

I would volunteer to do this down here in Melb, however I am totally committed until early March.

If you guys can wait, I would propose convening informal meetings, outside of the VFA structure.

A representation could then be made to the VFA for formulating policy etc.

Just an idea.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.