All Topics / General Property / Stratification of a retail property

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of AnionAnion
    Participant
    @anion

I own a small strip mall (13,500 Retail sq ft + 13,500 warehouse space underneath and accessible from the back as the property is built upon a hill). How much value will strataing the property unlock? The top rents for $12 a sq ft. and the bottom basement warehouse space rents at $3 sq.ft. With one warehouse unit currently vacant. Is strataing a good idea? Why is this model rare for retail properties(but extremely prevalent for all others).

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Strata adds value as it allows the sale of smaller portions of the property which means there is a larger market. Larger markets mean more demand. More demand means bigger prices.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

0414 347 771
    [email protected]
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

anion, i’ll presume the property is in BC Canada?

in Australia what your talking about is quite common, multiple ownership of industrial and retail/commerial complexes is common place.

it is also common for existing ‘non strata’ blocks to be converted to strata title and on sold to investors and primary users. hopefuly at a price which compensates the developing party appropriately.

hope this helps.

cheers

brahms
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]

@robbie-b

I was tipping the USA myself brahms because of the ‘feet’ measurements.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

0414 347 771
    [email protected]

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

Speak to a few local agents. They will give you the prices per square foot as you quoted for both strata’d and as you currently have them.

If the price warrants it then complete the strata. I would only do this if you are trying to unlock some equity for another purchase. Doing it for the sake of it, will only increases the rates and charges you pay to the government.

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Profile photo of AnionAnion
    Participant
    @anion

Any idea how much value strataing could unlock? Could I make a case to the tenants ownership (with the very low mortgage rates) is cheaper than renting? Many of them have been there for a long time)

@robbie-b

Determining the future value of units in a building that is going to be changed to strata is a simple process. Look at similar units in the immediate area that are already strata titled and PRESTO!

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

Participant
    @byronent_2

Why would you want to sell them to the tenants?

I mean they are giving you great returns, paying all outgoings, commercial is nothing like residential.

Selling back to them would be almost a false economy unless you are cashing out and if so, why you buying them?

Sounds complicated. Is there any land with this to spare?

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Participant
    @anion
    Originally posted by byronent:

Why would you want to sell them to the tenants?

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

I can make the case to them that owning is cheaper than renting (beacause of the low interest rates). In essesnce I will sell the property for 5.0% cap.

Participant
    @byronent_2

Yes true but if you kept them wouldn’t you be returning cash flow positive enabling you to purchase another property instantly?

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Participant
    @anion

If I sell this property at a 5.0% cap rate, I can increase my capital base and acquire a much larger property.

Profile photo of Julian2Julian2
    @julian2

Don’t forget taxes and stamp duties (if you have them) will have to be taken into account, not to mention sales agents and lawyers costs.
    Julian2

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.