All Topics / Creative Investing / Re bond requirements for lease options

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of ProfiteerProfiteer
    @profiteer

Hey people

Just enquiring….When constructing a lease options deal I understand that you enter into an options contract as well as a tenancy lease agreement. Consequently, as part of the lease agreement it is a requirement by the state REI to lodge a bond on behalf of the tenant. So, with this in consideration, when negotiating the deal do you adjust the amount of deposit you ask for to compensate for the bond? I sought of think that asking for a reasonable deposit and bond may make the deal unattractive for the potential tenant/buyer. Any advice?

Kind regards

MagnumPI [eh]

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I am not experienced with lease options on residential property but I am experienced with options contract. It is normal practice to pay a premium (fee) to purchase the option contract that give rise to buying the item for a set price within a set time some time in the future.

The bond would relate to the lease and the ‘option premium’ would relate to the option. I would guess that the bond would have to be lodged with the bond board and the premium could be whatever amount you like and you should be able to use that any way you see fit.

In response to your concern, if I was to sign your lease option on your property (and I understood what I was signing), I would have no problem paying the ‘premium’ for the option to buy.

I am sure some of the experienced lease option investors will clear all this up for both of us as I intend using this structure myself in the near future.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

0414 347 771
    [email protected]
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of ProfiteerProfiteer
    @profiteer

Thanks for your response Rob….As you say I think it’s just a matter of playing with the option figures to achieve a win win situation….I am like you, looking to use the lease option strategy for future investments, I may be wrong but I feel it is a more attractive option (Other than wraps) for potential buyers who find it difficult to save a deposit etc….ie they don’t have to come up with a substantial deposit and they can build equity up to the closing date of the option making it more appealing to the banks to lend them money when the time comes etc…..Right now I am going through the motions of building the foundations for conducting lease options before initiating any deals.

Kind regards

MagnumPI [biggrin]

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

I’m going by memory here…
    When I went to Rick Otton’s Lease Options day, he talked about this. He said that basically, the bond is required to protect the LANDLORD in the event of default, tenants doing a runner etc. So in fact you don’t need to collect a bond at all. This is usually much simpler than trying to follow all the correct procedures in handling a bond.
    I think that’s right!

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

@robbie-b

A bond is not a legal requirement. It is just necessary to register it if you do ask for and take one.

I would like to know if the first home buyer can get the First Home Owner Grant on a Lease Option.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

0414 347 771
    [email protected]

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

rob, is title transfered on a lease option???
    if the answer is yes, apply for the fhog, if not…

cheers

brahms
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]

@robbie-b

That is incorrect brahms. You can get the FHOG on a wrap and title is not passed. I will check on Wednesday unless someone tells me prior who knows for certain.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

0414 347 771
    [email protected]

Profile photo of ProfiteerProfiteer
    @profiteer

Hi Rob

I believe that the tenant would not be entitled to the FHOG until such time they excercise the option ie. they go through the motions of obtaining a loan to purchase the property as well as any concessions they are entitled too.

Kind regards

MagnumPI [cap]

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

As far as I am aware, you cannot claim the FHOG on a lease option, as you are not in the process of buying the house until you exercise the option.
    With an instalment contract, the position varies from state to state. Some, such as Victoria, allow you to claim the FHOG straight away, as long as you sign a form stating that in the event you don’t go through with the purchase, you will return the grant. Other states require a time delay, or a % of the price to be paid off before paying the grant.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

You certainly are not elligible for the FHOG on the execution of a Lease Option.

The LO contain the Option document and a standard REIQ (or State equivilent purchase contract) which can be exercised at a set time and for a set price similar to a standard ETO.

Subject to legislation the Lessor maybe entitled to receive rental assistance directly assigned to him as well other government benefits.

As Felicity mentions the FHOG on wrap varies from State to State. In Qld for example you need to wait a minimum of 1 year and comply with several other conditions.

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

I’ll add my bit (though it is the same) no if you are implementing a L/O you cannot claim FHOG, however your tennant can still claim rental assistance (where as with a wrap, to my understanding, they cannot).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

@robbie-b

Rental assistance from who?

Which department?

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

Profile photo of OldtimerOldtimer
    Participant
    @oldtimer
    @robbie-b

And that applies to all Lease Options how?

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

Profile photo of OldtimerOldtimer
    Participant
    @oldtimer

Not to all lease options Rob, just the ones where the tenant would qualify for rent assistance.

@robbie-b
    Originally posted by Lucifer_au:

I’ll add my bit (though it is the same) no if you are implementing a L/O you cannot claim FHOG, however your tennant can still claim rental assistance (where as with a wrap, to my understanding, they cannot).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

That was not made clear in the above statement. That is why I asked about it. I understood this to mean that first home owners could not get fhog but could get rent assistance – nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe I should expand my thinking.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

Profile photo of nathan210nathan210
    Participant
    @nathan210

“You certainly are not elligible for the FHOG on the execution of a Lease Option.”

Is that to say that when the tennant decides to exercise the option to buy the property they will NOT be eligible for the FHOG if it is the first house they are purchasing?

If the above statement is true, this would seem a bit un fair or am I missing something?

It is only your thoughts that create your future – Be careful what you think!

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Nathan

When the client excises the Option, i.e actually buys the property, they are then eligible for the FHOG, if they qualify.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of scullymanscullyman
    @scullyman

Section 23A of the Residential Tenancies Act 1994 states that ‘this act does not apply to residential tenancy agreements that are retal purchase plan agreements.’

So maybe you don’t have to include a bond in your agreement. Maybe.

Profile photo of kerwynkerwyn
    @kerwyn

Hi All
    I will add a little here.
    As far as I am aware there is no law to make you collect a bond on a L/O.
    What you should do though is to collect a non-refundable option fee and at least 2 weeks rent in advance, 4 would be better if you can get it. This is a bit of protection if your buyer does a runner.
    The good thing is that if they do a runner 2 or 3 years down the track then you get to L/O your place all over again and probably for more money.
    Kerwyn.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.