All Topics / Help Needed! / Mining towns too risky???

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of rebekahleigh.fusca3327rebekahleigh.fusca3327
    @rebekahleigh.fusca3327

Mining towns where no one wants to live but rent while they are working there… I found places in Kalgoorlie for $175k that rent for $300. Is it too risky?

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

Mining towns can be risky as their economics depends on the orebody, and world prices. My experience is they have boom/bust cycles. If you can buy at the right time there is money to be made subject to the orebody and world prices.

Do plenty of due diligence. There were a couple of threads earlier in the year on investing in mining towns.

Bear in mind if you need to sell it might be hard to find a buyer.

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

mining towns arent a bad buy at the moment. but as crj said its all about timing. resourse are booming, bhp, rio tinto are expecting huge profits due to chinas insatiable demand. as speculation you cld do worse than buying in a mining town with say a 1,2,3 year time frame then getting out.

if this is your gig then go for it…

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Aussie,

Sounds like we should all be buying up the mining shares instead !!

Cheers,
    Del

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

Del I think you are about 6 months too late!

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Participant
    @aussierogue

del – good idea! i have been!!

still roomk to move up – watch this space. shares will continue hitting records for some time to come.

however!!!!!!!

like anything need a balance as china will have problems should consumption remain unabated with the possiblity of world interest rates and inflation on the rise….

could be a credit squeeze…..

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

It can be risky, but some of these mining towns have huge populations – but nearly all mining related.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of MoJoJoMoJoJo
    @mojojo

Of course it depends on the individual mining town, and the life of the mine, or mines that it supports, and the size supporting industries.

Ahh, Kalgoorlie, home of my student days and mis-spent youth (and mis-spent austudy allowance) its not so bad a place to live, I had the time of my life, some great memories and some very foggy ones… I lived in Kal for a couple of years about 10 years ago, and the area was in a bit of a lull at the end of a boom. Nonetheless, if you could find a liveable three bedroom house to rent back then under $250 you were doing well. It is probably the same situation now, in the middle (?) of a boom as when I was there in quieter times.

Nowadays, the resource sector is booming again, which one one logically assume that populations would be moving back into mining towns… I am not so sure myself. With a current labour shortage (good for me!) many mining companies are finding it very hard to attract employees to the regional centres. So many mining operations are on a fly in fly out basis and many people don’t like the idea of spending the weekend in a stinking hot dustbowl covered in flies when you can be flown back to Perth (or wherever) and sit on a stinking hot beach instead every couple of weeks or so.
    That said, I have alot of friends and acquaintainces who currently live in/have lived in Kal, and other mining centres, some have been there for years and love it, and love that they can be home with their family every day, which a fly in fly out lifestyle does not afford. Some come and go, off and on over the years. I also know of some terrible terrible tenant stories. Miners (especially student ones) can be very rude crude and unsophisticated. Probably true of the general population everywhere else as well I suppose.

Kalgoorlie itself has a population over 32,000. There were 29,000 10 years ago. (and 26 pubs and three nightclubs) It also has an average household income of about 20-25% more than the rest of the state, and a high proportion of rental properties. There is naturally an itinerant population of workers that come and go with the fluctuating successes of the resource industry. There is also a student population, I think a bit less sizeable than when I was there years ago.(not sure on the numbers)For example When I was in first year, we used to pay $105 a week rent for a room in student housing, now they are offering the same housing free to first year students to try and get them up there.

There is also a large variation in the age, style, and appearance of homes in the area. Of course there are also the “good” and “bad” areas to live within the town, as there are in most towns and cities.

Rents are often susidised by the mining companies also. I think they had to do this to get people there and keep them, as rents have always been quite high in Kal. But then, how does this contribute to the ongoing high cost of rent? (I did know some people sharing a house and each of them claiming a rent subsidy from their company, hence making a profit each week – getting more in subsidy than they paid in rent – sneaky)
    I know some people who have done very very well in real estate int he goldfields, and some who have been stung quite badly with all the hype in the middle of a boom.

I could go on and on…

But in general I think it definitely worth investigating, just manage the risks associated with the individual property, get as much info as you can on the region, population trends, and the long term plan for the mine, as you would if looking at any area you planned to invest in.

~Jo~

– mining for a third of my life now and planning an exit strategy –

PS – and take a trip there if you haven’t already. There is some good stuff to see, like sunrise over the headframes from the mount charlotte lookout on your way home from the pub!

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

and take a cruise down to Esperance – possibly the most stunning beaches in Australia

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Participant
    @aussierogue

esperence is magic – agreed!!!! feeding the seals, the coastal drive, bay of isles…..could retire there quite easily…

Profile photo of MoJoJoMoJoJo
    @mojojo

Nice to look at, way too cold for swimming!

~jo~

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

What is the going rate and return for properties in Esperance?

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

M: 0414 347 771
    E: [email protected]
    W: http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter: See – http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au/index_files/newsletter.htm

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.

© 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of spider2spider2
    @spider2

Anyone know how Sons of Gwalia are going??? Are they going into receivership or revived????
    If they are in demise how does that affect Kalgoorlie and surrounding areas like Leonora

thanks

Spider

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.