All Topics / General Property / how long is the long term ?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of obiwanobiwan
    @obiwan

It’s paid well to be a ‘long term’ residential investor in australia in the past 10 years.

Things have deviated in a major way from the mean though, but because it has taken been with us for a decade, I think most people do not realise what an incredibly peculiar situation we are in. So are we in a residential bubble ?? Only you can decide for yourself. Here is my 2c worth and I would like to hear other people’s views. Personally I think property will decline in sydney by 50% inflation adjusted, melbourne less. It seems unbeleivable but then we live in an unbelievable time.

Arguments against a real estate bubble :
    1. Cases where property prices fall by as much as 60% have happened in only a few places like HongKong and Singapore and Japan : Larger drops occur more uncommonly, but then so are price moves of 100%+ over 5 years. Why do you think people invested in these places prior to the big drop. Try to imagine it. Where prices have run up well beyond their sustainable mean, there has usually been a crash eventually (eg Florida 1929).
    2. There is no trigger for the bubble to burst. Before a correction there is always a big trigger like a jump in rates or a recession : also not true. Ever heard of the phrase no one rings the bell at the top ? Well sometimes it’s true, when a bubble is big enough it is so stretched minor stresses can puncture it. Take for example the internet bubble, japanese real estate bubble, the real estate bubble of the early 1940’s etc. There is always something which could have been a trigger but in more buoyant markets this would have been quickly swept aside. People get hit when things change and this previously minor change KO’s the market in a big way.
    3. There will be no distressed sellers without a jump in interest rates or a recession and there is no reason to think this will happen : also not true. In the past 3 real estate cycles after the peak, unemployment went up by 30% from base levels. It is a case of putting the cart before the horse : housing activity and houseprices are a large determinant of economic growth. When they turn around, this results in increased unemployment. If valuations and repayments are stretched, people will sell at the margins. This cycle is reinforcing just as the upward ascent of the bubble is self reinforcing. If property prices go down by 20%, there is a good chance of a recession in the next couple of years
    4. Real estate in Australia is not cyclical : this is also incorrect. The current cycle (14 years since the last downturn) results in few people having an experience of a downturn. People extrapolate from this to conclude that it will always be like this. Look at the last 50 years.
    5. Property investment is always a good long term investment : ditto above. How long is long term. Are we talking about 40 years here ? What about 1945-1965 ?? Things went nowhere for stocks and real estate for 20 years. Wow, it is hardly fathomable now. So they have been going gangbusters for the last 15. What does this mean – just that these cycles can be very long and people have short horizons even when they talk of investing for the ‘long term’.
    6. Things have changed : due to the scarcity of land, technology developments, etc. This is usually an indicator of a bubble when people use a new paradigm type explanation to justify unrealistic valuation.
    7. Real estate in australia is different from elsewhere : also a false argument. Yes every real estate market has different regional aspects. This does not mean it will not experience significant cyclical variations or that it is not subject to the same fundamentals that dictate all property markets in the medium term (and indeed possibly all markets)
    8. real prices have never gone down in property in australia over a period of 5 years. If I am a long term investor I will make money in the long (15 year) timeframe : it is true that the aggregated average price of property has never gone down in real terms by a significant amount. This does not mean you will not lose money. The cost of holding the property will be significant over a 10 year horizon expecially if rental yield is low (as it is in most places in metropolitan Sydney). Also there is no average property – different cities will be at different stages in the cycle. This has counteracting effect on the average nationwide price. It does not mean that your property may not decline significantly over a period of years compared to the base year.
    9. The average weekly income of people in sydney/ melbourne is more than other cities and this supports the higher valuations : the weekly income of people in sydney is very simillar to melbourne actually. The difference is less than 5% and cannot account for the 50% difference in price. The average income in hobrat is about 80% of what it is in melbourne and also does not support the current gap.
    10. Even if it is overpriced, it can go higher – this is the definition of a bubble mentality – assuming that there will be a greater fool than you tomorrow.
    11. There has been no blowoff phase of rises of over 30%pa in Sydney so it cannot be a bubble : there is often a blowoff at the end of a bubble but this is not necessarily the case. For example the real estate bubble in Japan 15 years ago.

The arguments for a bubble, I will be brief as you are all aware of them
    1. median income : median dwelling values are astronomical. Through the roof. The ratio over the last 50 years has consistently been 4-6 (except at major turning points) it is currently 10 in sydney. The average person earns 50k in sydney and owns a 500k house. This is bedrock reality. The average person if they took out an average loan in sydney would take over 40 years to pay it off even at currently low interest rates. This is longer than the average person’s working life. This is unsustainable.
    2. Real prices have increased by 120% in australia in the last 5 years. It is probably more than this in Sydney. We are number 3 in the entire world for gains over the last 5 years, this is despite other countries like h-k which came off a major correction. As an example, compare us to the US where they are wondering if they have a bubble and prices have gone up by 50% or the UK 90%.
    3. This cycle has been exceptionally long. The period since the last recession has been very long. The average is 8-10 years. Things eventually revert to the mean.

So remember this junction in time well, it is an amazing period, we have never been here in terms of real estate valuations in Australia, ever ! You do not know how exceptional things are because you have lived in this ever expanding bubble for the last decade and gotten used to it. It seems almost normal. But it’s not. It is a greater than 3 sigma move from normal. But people cannot seem to imagine things differently. Bubbles breed financial genius before the fall and sometimes this is what blinds them.

Maybe this is not a bubble. Who knows. Anyway, bubbles are notoriously difficult to pick the top as they can persist for longer than anyone expected. Some people say though that there is always a correction. Either this year or next year or in 5 years. And this is what distinguishes them from people who can’t see a bubble. Bubbles are much easier to see in retrospect as following the herd has usually very positively reinforcing for a period of years.

My advice is to seek your own counsel. I am not a financial or real estate advisor so i relly know very little about what is prudent for you.

There are a million ways to make and lose money. All I see is many people, including some of my own friends and people who should be too old to be taking on big risk projecting the last 15 years into the next period and further whilst ignoing the other years of the past century.

‘if it looks like a bubble, smells like a bubble and feels like a bubble, then it probably is a bubble.’

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

The best way to become a millionaire is to begin with 2 million!

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

M: 0414 347 771
    E: [email protected]
    W: http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter: See – http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au/index_files/newsletter.htm

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.

© 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

What can I say but very good, six months ago on this forum you would have been buried by the avalanche of arguments backed by the rationale that you argue against.

It will be interesting to see the respnse.

Welcome to the board (or is it really Yack under a new name ).Just joking Yack.

I really like 3. as if the market stalls the collaspe of the investment, building, broking industries will trigger a big shift in public sentiment and should cut consumption dramatically.

Overseas they have been saying for two years now we face a recession between 2005-2008, caused by our debt to GDP ratio.

What the recession does to sliding property and confidence .. won’t be pretty.

Overall can’t arguwe with one of em. My favourite always was “Real Estate can’t go down ” Yeah….

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

Far be it from me to paint a rosy picture and indeed i share obiwan’s concerns about a number of generalisations.
    I share Mark Twain’s views about statistics. Rather than use average weekly earnings, maybe average household income would be a better picture.
    Second there will be a spectrum of people eg
    own PPOR no debt
    buying PPOR Debt $
    IP no debt
    buying IP debt $
    A number of owners without debt may be retired and have a lower than average income. Others will have purchased at various stages before, during and after the boom. Working out numbers at risk might give a more accurate picture.
    This is not to deny that a recession, increases in unemployment and in interest rates will affect all of us, some much worse than others and while we play with statistical models we need to consider our risk management.
    If people are concerned about the possibility of interest rate increases, then there is the possibility to fix rates at close to today’s variable rates even for long terms that might ride out a recession.
    Should we dispose of something that is less desirable.
    Do we build in other safety margins.

It’s easy to make money. Keeping it is the difficult part.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop
    Originally posted by obiwan:

1. median income : median dwelling values are astronomical. Through the roof. The ratio over the last 50 years has consistently been 4-6 (except at major turning points) it is currently 10 in sydney. The average person earns 50k in sydney and owns a 500k house. This is bedrock reality. The average person if they took out an average loan in sydney would take over 40 years to pay it off even at currently low interest rates. This is longer than the average person’s working life. This is unsustainable.

undesirable yes, unsustainable? creative financing can work ways around it just as in countries like Japan and Germany e.g. multi generational mortgages. Remember not all societies are as obsessed with home ownership as here in oz. There will also come a time when the older folk get tired of subsidising the material dreams of young people in the form of first home owner hand outs etc

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of zenzen
    @zen

First of all my instinct about property market has been wrong in the last 2 years. [blush2] I thought it would stopped going up 2 years ago. The slow down finally happened and I am concern on how soft/hard the landing would be. Someone said to me that property market moves like a big tanker once it decided to go to a certain direction it takes time to change direction. We saw the upward momentum in the last few years and now I wonder if the downward momentum will go for a while before it finds a base level.
    I have my money on sharemarket and bad property downturn will have a very bad affect on shares.
    Personally I am not very confident to say that property will have big drop even thought my instinct say it will (been wrong too many times).
    But I feel that this is as good as it gets ie low interest rate, low unemployment, good economy etc. As you hear the top end of the market is still very strong, the bosses are still making lots of money from good economy. The question is will we stay good for a while yet?? Also that everyone seems to be talking about property markets (Moms, Dads, Taxi drivers etc). Who can blame them since they are money to be made. But I know what usually happen to sharemarket when everyone talk about it.
    Personally I don’t think we will have a crash like in HongKong & Singapore, otherwise I won’t be investing in the sharemarket either.

Profile photo of obiwanobiwan
    @obiwan

‘In 2002-03, average (mean) equivalised disposable household income for all persons living in private dwellings (i.e., the income that a single person household would require to maintain the same standard of living as the average person living in all private dwellings in Australia) was $510 per week (table 1). There were approximately 19.3 million people living in these dwellings.’ ABS

Assuming the best case scenario of both people working, none of them ever unemployed or sick, household disposable income with 2 average wage earners is $1000/week. This accords with AWE of 2, 100k, after tax take home about 60k/year.

Assume they buy the average home in Sydney. 500k, 420k loan. Monthly repayments are 3025/month (7% interest, 30 years). My god, this means they only have $250 per week between them to spend on food, transport and anything else. And they have to do this for 30 years !

This means that at the margin, people cannot buy more homes or get into the average home without dipping into their savings or being subsidised by their parents. If things are this bad for owner occupiers, then they are worse for investors. The fundamentals of the sydney market stink.

The problem is that any buyers in the last 2 years in sydney are at the margin (investors and owner occupiers). We will need conditions to remain ideal for another decade for prices to remain static. Economies tend to experience shocks and economic distributions are ketokurdic. But the way new entrants are levered at the moment we do not need a 2 sigma event like a recession to wipe them out. We just need the economy to hiccup or fart for these people to keel over.

Once you get into multigenerational mortgages, things become inherently unstable – just look at japan or holland.

People cannot see how the market will move back to equilibrium. They are still focussed on missing out on profits at the turning point rather than preserving capital. It is inconceivable that prices correct in a big way, and yet in the back of their minds they know they cannot remain here. I think their will be some more treading of water, anyone who missed out on the upswing will buy on this dip. There will be a dead bounce, more entrants will enter who have missed out. Until there are no buyers left. People will also continue to move further afield to buy +CF in the few remaining pockets to reduce their cognitive dissonance. This will continue the ripple for awhile but they too will die as the economy craters.

The market when it does recover will be in melbourne rather than sydney as they seem to be about 2 years ahead in the cycle. I do not expect prices to trough in Melbourne until at least 2007 and in Sydney until 2009. I expect that prices will correct and go below the historical averages. At the next turning point people will be fixated on preserving gains, they will be vomitting at the thought of property and wondering, how can it possibly go up in the next 5 years ?

A bubble breeds many geniuses, the children of the bubble will need to die in the wilderness before another one can emerge.

@gmh454
    Originally posted by obiwan:

People cannot see how the market will move back to equilibrium. They are still focussed on missing out on profits at the turning point rather than preserving capital. It is inconceivable that prices correct in a big way, and yet in the back of their minds they know they cannot remain here. I think their will be some more treading of water, anyone who missed out on the upswing will buy on this dip. There will be a dead bounce, more entrants will enter who have missed out. Until there are no buyers left. People will also continue to move further afield to buy +CF in the few remaining pockets to reduce their cognitive dissonance. This will continue the ripple for awhile but they too will die as the economy craters.

The market when it does recover will be in melbourne rather than sydney as they seem to be about 2 years ahead in the cycle. I do not expect prices to trough in Melbourne until at least 2007 and in Sydney until 2009. I expect that prices will correct and go below the historical averages. At the next turning point people will be fixated on preserving gains, they will be vomitting at the thought of property and wondering, how can it possibly go up in the next 5 years ?

A bubble breeds many geniuses, the children of the bubble will need to die in the wilderness before another one can emerge.

Very nice, agree that right now ppl cannot conceive it going down.

Also beleive that when the dust eventually settles this may breed a young generation who will view property investment as poison after seeing so many shovel money into big mortgages, who many years later fold at break even or loss.

The saying will then be “I should have rented ” and it’s the governments fault, … but lets not go there.

Agree a very unusual boom, and will not be a “usual” correction.

However this boom had some wonderful moments.One of my other favourites always was “property doubles every seven years ” yeah…

Participant
    @ausprop

This: “Assuming the best case scenario of both people working, none of them ever unemployed or sick, household disposable income with 2 average wage earners is $1000/week. This accords with AWE of 2, 100k, after tax take home about 60k/year.”

Doesn’t agree with this:”1. median income : median dwelling values are astronomical. Through the roof. The ratio over the last 50 years has consistently been 4-6 (except at major turning points) it is currently 10 in sydney. The average person earns 50k in sydney and owns a 500k house. This is bedrock reality. The average person if they took out an average loan in sydney would take over 40 years to pay it off even at currently low interest rates. This is longer than the average person’s working life. This is unsustainable. “

based on

http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]/e8ae5488b598839cca25682000131612/ba84bbb55b643021ca2568a90013934e!OpenDocument

so 2 people earning $1000 a week each (this sounds a bit low for Sydney?) = a household income of $2000 a week. so on the same scenario $700 a week mortgage leaves $1300 a week for taxes, living, saving etc. I don’t know if there is a bubble or not, but this situation doesn’t seem too bad, especially as inflation pushes wages up and mortgage balance effectively reduces. And this is in the most expensive real estate market in Australia – most other markets are twice as rosy as this.

the old ‘property doubles every 7 years’ is a statistic that can be used to support an argument – and we all know about statistics!

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of femaleage20femaleage20
    @femaleage20

so what now? do I sell up, take my money and run? are Posative Cashflow propeties safe in a ‘Bust’? Is it possable that we live in a country with a good econemy, low interest rates, low unemployment and a half decent priministar (arguable) do all good things come to an end???

Participant
    @ausprop

if you add value you can give yourself a 20 – 30% buffer (or as much as you can achieve) so if things cool off you are somewhat insulated.

things do work in cycles and it pays to be counter cyclical. trying to gaze into the crystal ball and call the top of the cycle is the hard bit. Perth is still on the rise and you should be looking for markets such as these that have not yet reached dizzy heights. Qld could be anothere one – I don’t know much about it and expect it might be a bit over heated now. look at NT perhaps?

John – 0419 198 856

@gmh454
    Originally posted by femaleage20:

so what now?

do all good things come to an end???

Yes the economy has done very well, but what has been the driver. Exports, hardly look at our balance of payments deficit. We (well, not you or me but apparently everyone else ) have been buying cars, luxury goods, doing a reno on our 10 yr old kitchen and generally having a good time. How has this been done. By the profits our economy generates. Not really but thru debt.Lots of money flowing round, mostly borrowed from O/S, but we have not actually been doing anything productive.

We now owe so much to the rest of the world that I’m guesssing they will start jacking up our rates as they down grade our credit.(not dramatically )but enough to make a rate cut harder. Although our rates are at historical lows here, I understand that by international standards our rates are high. As international rater move back to a neutral setting, ours should adjust up, although they will probably let the Dollar slide a little. Problem is that once it slides it tends to freefall.

Now isn’t that an interesting thought, economy starts to slow and what may we get, but higher rates.

Lets all hope the US keeps blowing their deficit then no one will notice us and everything will contine…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.