All Topics / Help Needed! / Was this a good investment???

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of CrownOfGoldCrownOfGold
    Participant
    @crownofgold

Hi. I’m fairly new to property investment and wanted to know the thoughts of other more experienced investors in terms of this particular case.

I’ve purchased 3 properties in the last 4 years and have recently agreed to accept an offer to sell my first one. I decided to sell for a number of reasons, but mainly as I’m getting married next year and would like to throw the available equity of this property into another one, which will be my PPOR.

These are the figures:
    Purchased in April 2001: $155,000
    FHOG: $14,000
    Stamp duty & fees: $8000
    Furniture & air cons: $9,000
    Body Corp & rates (3.5 yrs): $8,000
    Interest payments (3.5 yrs): $26,000
    Rental (3.5 years): $42,000
    Selling price: $203,000
    Outstanding loan amount: $105,000
    Still need to determine if I need to pay CGT as I lived in the unit for a few months…

How do I calculate whether this was a good investment or not? I’ve tried a number of ways (Income vs Expenses, cash on cash return) but just end up getting myself more confused…

I guess I’d like a few wise opinions as to whether you would consider this a good investment decision….or not. Thanks heaps in advance.

Profile photo of Brenda IrwinBrenda Irwin
    Participant
    @brenda-irwin

Hi C of G, Welcome to the forum.

I am far from an expert in accounting but by my limited experience it appears your rental average is around $230 per week. Based on your purchase price, this would represent a gross return of 7.7%. Based on todays value, it is a gross return of 5.89% which doesn’t even cover the interest rates, let alone Council rates, insurance and maintenance costs.

Buying your own PPOR means the interest payments on the loan are not tax deductable against your income which means you are paying the loan with after tax dollars.

Paying down debt via sales or just repayments over time, is a strategy in itself. You may have the equity to purchase a PPOR without selling an IP but can you service the extra loan without hardship to your finances and indirectly to your personal relationship? Cheers Brenda. [biggrin]

If you want to get out of a hole, first stop digging.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi CrownOfGold,

Thanks for your post.

There are a few holes in your figures, but for the sake of discussion I’ve used some assumptions to flesh out my answer (see below).

First, let’s look from a cashflow perspective:

Rent: $42,000
    Interest: $26,000
    Body Corp etc.: $8,000
    Management: $2,940
    Other Expenses (10% of rent): $4,200
    Overall: $860

That’s a good start.

From a capital gains perspective:

Bought: $172,500
    Less FHOG: $14000
    Net PP: $158,500
    Sale Price: $203,000
    Capital Gain: $44,500

Overall (pre-tax):

Cashflow + Cap Gain: $45,360
    Purchase Price: $158,500
    % Gain: 28.6%
    Over 3.5 years: 8.2% per annum

Whether this is a good investment or not depends on your goal. If we adjust for inflation and then take away tax, it’s at least a good step in the right direction.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Steve, I am just wondering where the $172,500 purchase price comes from and why would you subtract the FHOG from the purchase price you used?

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

M: 0414 347 771
    E: [email protected]
    W: http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter: See – http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au/index_files/newsletter.htm

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.

© 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of CrownOfGoldCrownOfGold
    Participant
    @crownofgold

Thanks for your replies. I’ve never tried working out cashflow separate from capital gains…it makes a lot of sense.

In terms of my cash flow, I managed the property myself (just for fun), so I didn’t have any management fees. The property was also bought brand new, so I had negligible expenses and excellent depreciaiton. In adding all that up, the cash flow works out to be about $8,000 positive.

Overall, excluding income tax, depreciation and inflation, the gain/yr is then 9.4%. I’m pretty happy with that, considering I’m selling out of necessity rather than desire.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I personally would look at what you made from cashflow and from capital gains, and like Steve see what it averages out over the number of years held.

Then compare this to what you could have made if you invested the deposit elsewhere such as shares or bank deposits.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of mncmnc
    @mnc

hi crownofgold,
    someone once said “you’ll never go broke making a profit” and 8.2% p.a. aint a bad profit…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.