All Topics / Value Adding / Rural Residential abolished in SE Qld Mgmt Plan?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi to all you professional developers [cigar] and wannabees out there [cap]

I’ve heard it’s been announced that Rural Residential zoning will be ABOLISHED under Qld Premier Beattie’s new South East Qld Management Plan.

I’m hoping you guys and gals are going to deluge us with juicy web links /press releases /all relevent info on this issue (“Pretty please with a jellybean on top?”)

I know this governmental decision won’t impact directly on our current Rural Residential subdivision, but am wanting to research the whole story so we can factor it into our future plans /purchase of new blocks.

The essential bit of news I know about this “new development” is that:
    * Rural Residential zoning will be DISCONTINUED in favour of Green titles, residential, rural etc

* Developers must act on Rural Residential projects they’re holding in their Land Banks within 2 years of the new Plan being adopted, or they lose their Rural Residential zoning!! (ouch!)

This decision won’t affect our current development, and probably not the one after that, but the pressure’s definitely on to buy more land, get DA approval, put the infrastructure in place and keep going for it (the clock’s ticking)!

I’m sure new opportunities will open up, anyway, once Rural Residential is no more.

Thanks

Greg

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin
    Originally posted by Greg F:

Hi [cigar] [cap] I’m hoping you guys and gals are going to deluge us with juicy web links /press releases /all relevent info on this issue (“Pretty please with a jellybean on top?”)
    Thanks Greg

Me again folks

The Mortgage Broker who tipped me off has just sent me this link ( I owe him one):

http://www.oum.qld.gov.au/

Check it out, and post your thoughts and any other links here. Deal?

Cheers, Greg

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

it sort of looks like the state government is tiring of supporting infrastructure investment into further urban sprawl.

sounds good to me, just have to convince ‘can do’ and the team in the bcc.

cheers

brahms
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]

Keymaster
    @piadmin
    Originally posted by brahms:

it sort of looks like the state government is tiring of supporting infrastructure investment into further urban sprawl. Sounds good to me, just have to convince ‘can do’ and the team in the bcc. Cheers brahms Mortgage Broker

Hi Brahms

I think the Qld state government is:
    1. Genuinely trying to address legitimate ‘green’ concerns caused by poor development models
    2. “Tiring of supporting infrastructure development into further urban sprawl.”

I think they’re taking as their model of “what NOT to do” the mess that developed around Sydney’s “3 Cities” (W’gong – Sydney – Gosford/Newcastle) not too many decades ago.

The Qld government is currently presiding over the development of one full-blown massive “city” from the Gold Coast (south), through Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast (north to, and including, Noosa Shire), plus out west through Ipswich and up the Range to Toowoomba.

The state government plus the collective shire councils really do need to do something to protect green belts etc and rationalise their infrastructure development supply/costs.

I’m in the happy position of living and investing in the shire immediately adjoining Noosa. We’re often characterised as “Noosa Hinterland”. Rural Res is well and truly safe for the foreseeable future here, as it is in all (?) other Rural shires in Qld. Frankly, I think rural/semi-rural shires like ours can’t do without a Rural Residential option.

Thus, when I said developers must act on Rural Residential projects they’re holding in their Land Banks within 2 years of the new SE Qld Plan being adopted, or they lose their Rural Residential zoning, this only applies from the Gold Coast, Brisbane and west up to /including Toowoomba, and the Sunshine Coast to Noosa.

It doesn’t apply to us, and I think I stand to profit handsomely from that key fact. [biggrin][cigar][biggrin]

Cheers
    Greg

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Greg,

Try these links, they may be of interest:

http://www.qld.liberal.org.au/default.cfm?action=media_d&ID=252
    in particular select “View all documents” as there is a recent update on this dated 23 December entitled “Government silent as regional plan boss exits.”

http://www.ybe2004.qld.gov.au/news/talkingPoint_regionalPlan.asp

http://www.oum.qld.gov.au/?ID=29
    again, take a look at both the media announcement link provided, and the minister’s speech, AND…perhaps download the printable copy of the actual SE Qld Regional Management Plan.

Cheers,

Jo

Keymaster
    @piadmin
    Originally posted by Monopoly:
    Hi Greg,
    Try these links, they may be of interest:
    http://www.qld.liberal.org.au/default.cfm?action=media_d&ID=252
    in particular select “View all documents” as there is a recent update on this dated 23 December entitled “Government silent as regional plan boss exits.”
    http://www.ybe2004.qld.gov.au/news/talkingPoint_regionalPlan.asp
    http://www.oum.qld.gov.au/?ID=29
    again, take a look at both the media announcement link provided, and the minister’s speech, AND…perhaps download the printable copy of the actual SE Qld Regional Management Plan.
    Cheers, Jo

Hi Jo

Thanks for the brilliant links. As usual in this investment game, each “downside” has its “upside”, and proactive investors such as ourselves take particular note of Steve McKnight’s motto: “Success comes from doing things differently.”

Greenies have legitimate concerns, and developers who take note of these concerns and build them into their developments will prosper: people might not vote Green, but they sure-as-Hell aspire to live in genuinely Green environments, right? I suggest proactive investors “Do a Google” with the keywords:
    * Draft SEQ Regional Plan
    * As a 2nd separate Google, type in:
    1. Draft SEQ Regional Plan
    2. The Council of your choice/investment interest (to see the more localised perspectives).

Try this link, which details legitimate concerns about ruthless developers. Make sure you click on the Maps link contained in this article:
    http://brec.ozecol.org/news/current/seqrecn_developers_dream.html

Here’s part of the article:
    A Developers’ Dream – New Draft SEQ Plan fails to protect Urban Bushland, Open Space or Quality of life

The SEQ Regional Plan, released today, gives developers what they want and throws open our few protected areas to more use, while failing to really grapple with the real sustainability issues in the region, according to conservationists.

“The State government should take immediate steps to rectify the Plan’s gaping flaws and really protect the values of South East Queensland,” said Michael Petter, Coordinator of the SEQ Regional Environment Coordination Network.

The New SEQ Urban Plan:
    ~ Fails to control urban development to protect regionally significant bushlands in the urban growth area. – This will leave over 22,000 hectares of remnant vegetation at risk of clearing.
    ~ Fails to protect an adequate urban break between Brisbane and the Gold Coast
    ~ Fails to commit to reduce air pollution
    ~ Fails to ensure adequate environmental allocation of water
    ~ Fails to commit to significant reduction in water pollution
    ~ Pushes more people into the western corridor, an area which has air pollution problems and landscape stability issues.
    ~ Leaves Stradbroke Island still unprotected and threatened by mining
    ~ Fails to protect the Wallum Corridor on the Sunshine Coast
    ~ Fails to fully protect the Flinders peak to Karawatha corridor
    ~ Fails to live up to previous principles and policies to protect the biodiversity and cultural resources of the Region’s Aboriginal Traditional Owners
    ~ Allows the expansion of urban development in the Redlands
    ~ Allows for massive urban expansion in northern Beaudesert and western Caboolture
    ~ Pushes housing into salinity affected areas in the Bremer River
    ~ Forces councils to allow extractive industries in floodplains, the Bay and areas like the Koala Coast using the new State Planning Policy for Extractive Industry
    ~ Increases the number of major roads including the duplication the Gateway Bridge and Gateway Arterial – pushes through the Western Brisbane Bypass
    ~ Massively expands existing road corridors mostly through bushland areas to the west and south of Brisbane
    ~ Allows Powerlink to continue carving up bushlands and local communities with transmission lines
    ~ Does make a commitment to modest demand management measures in the future.
    ~ Does slow development in good agricultural land but doesn’t prohibit urban development

Click here to browse maps showing native vegetation unprotected in the “Urban Footprint”
    BREC Maps of “At Risk” Bushland
    These maps where compiled using information from DNRM, OUM, Qld Herbarium, EPA and other public sources.
    They show our draft maps of “at risk” bushland, inside the “Urban Foorprint”. Bushland “At Risk” is shown coloured black or stippled black. Protected areas such as National Parks, Conservation Reserves, Parkland and endangered ecosystems are shown in shades of green.

Cheers
    Greg

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Greg,

I was fairly certain that the links weren’t going to lead you to any information you didn’t already have at your disposal. As a teacher and investor I am confident, you would have done your homework and researched the topic thoroughly (exhaustively in fact).[biggrin]

Which leads me to the main reason for my post; I cannot stress enough to anyone, be it a green or seasoned investor:

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH
    It is the key to doing one’s DUE DILIGENCE and although it is not a guarantee of success in your investing future, it can save you thousands upon thousands of dollars.

Cheers,

Jo

P.S. There is a “search” function available on this site (left hand side of the screen); it pays to use it at times!!!! Enjoy…..[biggrin]

Keymaster
    @piadmin
    Originally posted by Monopoly:
    Hi Greg, I was fairly certain that the links weren’t going to lead you to any information you didn’t already have at your disposal. As a teacher and investor I am confident, you would have done your homework and researched the topic thoroughly (exhaustively in fact).[biggrin] Which leads me to the main reason for my post; I cannot stress enough to anyone, be it a green or seasoned investor:
    RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH It is the key to doing one’s DUE DILIGENCE and although it is not a guarantee of success in your investing future, it can save you thousands upon thousands of dollars.
    Cheers, Jo P.S. There is a “search” function available on this site (left hand side of the screen); it pays to use it at times!!!! Enjoy…..[biggrin]

Hi Jo

Thanks for the compliments, and “right back at you” [biggrin]

To my mind, the key with due diligence, apart from doing it exhaustively, is to look for that “point of difference” that will make what you do unique from the bulk of other investors.

There are some major opportunities to be found whilst:
    1. Reading all these links but more importantly
    2. Reflecting on /meditating on the fine detail of what’s included in SOME of them.

You know this already, Jo. This tip is for the newbies. I still need lots of mentoring myself in many, many areas, [cigar][buz2][cigar] and I hope I can keep calling on you all. Deal?

Cheers
    Greg

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Mhhh the excitement of rubbing my hands with glee.

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Keymaster
    @piadmin
    Originally posted by Qlds007:

Mhhh the excitement of rubbing my hands with glee. Cheers Richard

Hi Richard

It’s got me pretty excited too! But you, better than most of us on this forum, know that the name of the game is to put your reading / expertise / experiences / contacts to use, and just “do it!” [cigar]

It’s all about subtle details, right? [smart] I’d love it if you could elaborate a little bit, giving us your thoughts. I’m not asking you to give us ALL your thoughts, chief. [chief][brave] But I know I speak for a lot of people when I ask you to teach us from the mountain top.

Cheers
    Greg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.