All Topics / General Property / Embarrasingly stupid question about making offers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of persistencepersistence
    @persistence

Hi all,

I have a simple question that I’m kind of embarrassed to ask…

Having never bought property before, I’m not sure who I would write out the deposit cheque to! If I attach a cheque to my offer, do I make it out to the agency?

And would it matter if the cheque was from a different entity to the one making the offer? For example, could I issue the cheque from my company even though I might be buying the house in my own name?

yes, I am still very green…

[blush2]

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Just ask the agent when you do your offer. I have made verbal offers without even needing to write a cheque till the offer was accepted.

Many agents work in different ways.

Profile photo of Ambo72_2Ambo72_2
    Participant
    @ambo72_2

On the topic of offers, my partner and I recently made offers on 2 properties. Rather than accepting a verbal offer, the agent/s wanted to sign us up on a contract before settling on a price with the vendor. They said it is better to have a signed contract to show the vendor as it proves that you are serious about purchasing, and therefore puts the vendor under pressure to sell.

We were a bit dubious about this but it seems to be the way real estate agents operate in this particular town as we had 2 different agents do the same thing.

What do you think??

Ian

Profile photo of JustAllanJustAllan
    Participant
    @justallan

You’re brave. [biggrin]

I’d be saying, “If I wasn’t serious do you think I’d be buying TWO properties from you at once!?”

Furthermore, *I* would not sign anything until I had amended the contract with a couple of escape clauses. (Subject to structural report, subject to lender/loan approval…)

But that’s just me I guess…

Allan.

Profile photo of scotteescottee
    @scottee

contracts aren’t the problem as long as you have your own get out clause, best one i heard was ‘ confirmation of partner required’….

his partner being his cat….

scottee

Bite off as much as you can and CHEW LIKE HELL!!!

Profile photo of DNLDNL
    @dnl

Hi Persistence

If you are buying through an agent, you will normally draw the check to their Trust Account. However, the agent should advise these details. I have had instances where I have given the cheque at the time of signing the contract.

With that said, I have also stated how much deposit I will put down and then provide a 24 hour to 48 hour timeframe to supply the cheque.

With regard to the cheque, so long as you don’t breach any corporations law – I have used my company cheque account for the deposit and then reimbursed the account from my own savings. Trust me when I say the agent doesn’t care where the money comes from, so long as they secure the sale.

Remember to do the best thing by yourself! What I mean by this is if you only want to pay a small deposit, do so. Your show of faith is the signing of the contract, the offer of a deposit and at the end of the day, why should you tie up your cash flow in an Agent’s trust account and forgo the interest! I bought a $285K investment property with a $100 down and that was that! You are in control of the situation not the agent!

cheers[biggrin]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.