All Topics / General Property / Painting roof

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of mistymisty
    @misty

Hi, hope someone can help here
    I am renovating to create +cf. I need to paint the roof which is made of old terracotta tiles.

Can anyone tell me if they know if it is OK to use Concrete/Paving paint and any idea if tiles soak up more paint and affect coverage.

Trying to judge cost. Would also be interested in knowing if anyone has painted a roof by hand before or if necessary to spray and if so how much extra paint this uses.

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Are they concrete tiles or terracotta tiles? With terracotta tiles you dont paint them but tend to wash them.

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

You are a glutton for punishment, that would be a bugger of a job!!

Terracotta is quite porous when old and worn so is going to soak in a fair bit. My only tip is if you are going to do it, hose it down a while beforehand so the tiles don’t soak the paint as much!

Good luck!!

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

I am also considering restoring a roof (well, paying someone to do it). Has anybody got rough prices for restore-a-roof or any other mob that do this.?

What do you guys think of this as a way to increase value, I think that it may help to make an initial impression on a buyer if the roof is looking good………or would people suggest that money is better spent on internal improvements??

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of fostonfoston
    @foston

We are having the roof on one of our IPS restored next week.The tiles are monier concrete about 30 years old, quite porous and the colour has faded.We have had quotes ranging from $2500 – $6500. we settled on a price 0f $3200 + $200 for 2 whirlybirds, this includes rebedding and repointing of the ridge cappings and replacing any broken tiles. The tiles need to be pressure cleaned first to remove the years of grime and dirt and then the first coat is a sealant to seal the tiles against moisture, the top coats are then applied with the colour of your choice.We believe this will definately improve the look of the house and increase the value.

cheers
    Foston

Life is a series of new beginnings

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Thanks heaps foston

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.